Morning Gym Tips for a Total Sleepyhead

Options
Hi everyone - as a New Years Resolution (I like them, okay?), I want to start working to become a morning gym person. I fluctuate widely with my evening gym habits. I have all the best intentions, but plans come up and I miss my goals. Becoming a morning gym person would ensure I've already done my workout in case things come up.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM - I am THE WORST at waking up in the morning. I've missed flights. I've been late to work. I can talk myself into ANYTHING at 6:30 AM (yeah, take an Uber this morning, $22 is totally reasonable, you deserve it). What are your best tips for waking up early in general and for becoming a morning gym person specifically?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cvstokke
    cvstokke Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @Tacklewasher god, I wish! unfortunately, I can't with my roommate situation. maybe I wake myself up with puppy videos? haha
  • cvstokke
    Options
    @Carlos_421 thanks for the idea. I do actually bring a gym bag to work and am pretty good about going on my way home (gym is between my metro stop and home). However, things will come up like dinner with a family member or a work event. I want to find a balance in having a life and being healthy. Even if I could just gym in the morning once or twice a week, I think it would help.
  • cvstokke
    Options
    @Jules_farmgirl that's a good idea. I have a coworker friend that morning gyms so I'm thinking about asking her to do something like that.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    Hmm. Maybe go to bed much earlier than you currently are and sleep in your workout clothes. Or keep an energy drink on your nightstand for when you wake up. Then there's no chance for you go to back to sleep even if you wanted. I think you just have to do it enough times for it to be a habit and then it'll be no problem. Good luck!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    cvstokke wrote: »
    @Tacklewasher god, I wish! unfortunately, I can't with my roommate situation. maybe I wake myself up with puppy videos? haha

How does a roommate have power over your schedule?
  • cvstokke
    Options
    @Carlos_421 I was replying to a post about getting a dog
  • TrueBeautyDanielle
    Options
    @cvstokke I am right there with you. Too bad you can't get a dog. That was great advice. My advice is to prepare for the day the night before. Going to bed earlier, preparing lunch, and attire ready. (hypocritical, cause I need to get better at this :smiley: ) My husband has his phone away from the bed so he has to get up to turn off the alarm and once he is up he is up......maybe I should do this too???? lol Anyways, you are not alone.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    cvstokke wrote: »
    @Carlos_421 I was replying to a post about getting a dog

Oh well that makes more sense. Lol
  • cvstokke
    Options
    @Carlos_421 yeah agreed, i don't need to do it every day. but i would like to be able to motivate myself to morning gym when I know I have an evening activity and I really struggle with that. which was the whole point of this thread, not 12 people telling me to not bother.

sorry, this isn't to hate on you as I appreciate your suggestions. it's just frustrating when you post on MFP and a bunch of people jump down your throat about your idea being stupid.
  • cvstokke
    Options
    @TrueBeautyDanielle the phone idea is good. My issue with it is always not wanting my roommate to hear it and wake her up, but I guess that gives me even more incentive to not hit snooze. I like the idea of laying out my workout clothes. I'm sure that would help a little. Thanks!