where do you get your protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I'll add canned chicken, which I didn't see listed. It's quick and relatively cheap.

I usually eat 150g+/day. Cottage cheese, yogurt (add chia seeds to both, which adds fiber and protein).
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I'll add canned chicken, which I didn't see listed. It's quick and relatively cheap.

I usually eat 150g+/day. Cottage cheese, yogurt (add chia seeds to both, which adds fiber and protein).

Love canned chicken and use it 4-5 times a week- an easy addition to veggies and frozen entrées (Lean Cuisines etc)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Shrimp
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Tuna pouches
    Chicken breast
    Turkey pepperoni
    String cheese
    Venison
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'l add peanut butter....one of my favorite foods!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    dcc56 wrote: »

It's one of my favorite foods too, but I don't consider it a good source of protein at all. Peanut butter is mostly fat.
    2 tablespoons of peanut butter is 190 calories, 16g fat, 8g carbs, 7g protein. So out of that 190 calories, only 14% of them are from protein and 75% of them are from fat.

Just for the sake of comparison, 190 calories of chicken breast (6.8 oz. of meat) has 5g fat, 0g carbs and 37g protein. So out of 190 calories, about 78% of them are from protein. And 6.8 ounces of meat is going to be a lot more satiating than two tablespoons of peanut butter, at least for me.

Don't get me wrong, I still eat peanut butter because I love it. I just see it for what it is.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It's one of my favorite foods too, but I don't consider it a good source of protein at all. Peanut butter is mostly fat.
    2 tablespoons of peanut butter is 190 calories, 16g fat, 8g carbs, 7g protein. So out of that 190 calories, only 14% of them are from protein and 75% of them are from fat.

Just for the sake of comparison, 190 calories of chicken breast (6.8 oz. of meat) has 5g fat, 0g carbs and 37g protein. So out of 190 calories, about 78% of them are from protein. And 6.8 ounces of meat is going to be a lot more satiating than two tablespoons of peanut butter, at least for me.

Don't get me wrong, I still eat peanut butter because I love it. I just see it for what it is.

I'll never get the peanut butter = good protein source thing. It is delicious though. Unfortunately I have a kid who's crazy allergic to peanuts, so I can't keep it in the house...I do have a jar at the office though.
  • AliciaZitzmann
    AliciaZitzmann Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For a supplement Transparent Labs has amazing protein.
    I also use protein bars, lots of meat like beef, salmon and chicken, and I eat eggs.
    For dairy I eat siggis yogurt, cottage cheese, and soy milk.
    A really great on the go snack for before a workout are the Fuel Fir Fire pouches....good clean fruits and veggies and protein.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I've heard those protein shots are great but some of my lady friends complain about the aftertaste.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    First, pick a reasonable protein goal
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I'll never get the peanut butter = good protein source thing. It is delicious though. Unfortunately I have a kid who's crazy allergic to peanuts, so I can't keep it in the house...I do have a jar at the office though.

You can find bread or ice cream that have more protein than nuts/nut butter so I'm with you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Well, vegetarianism changes the comparative stats somewhat.

Even so, I do consider peanut butter a higher-calorie source. But it's a contributor, and those of us who don't like fake meat/protein powder/protein bars may enjoy including nuts in reasonable portions, especially since most of them bring some healthy fats along for the ride. Lots of small amounts of protein that add up through the day: It's a valid veggie strategy.

Of course, you can rationally question why anyone would be vegetarian. In my case, it was mainly adolescent whim . . . 42 years ago, about the time I learned how to cook for myself. ;)
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have eggs every morning. Meat at dinner
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I get my protein by eating a large proportion of dead animals everyday.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of meat...and eggs....sometimes a protein shake during the day if I'm hungry between meals...