Give me your recipes, your ideas, your oaty goodness yearning to be eats

Options
rankinsect
rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
So I have a love / hate relationship with the humble oat. I really love oats - the flavor and particularly the chewy texture. And I just can't find oatmeal (porridge) that I like. All that wonderful oaty chewiness reduced to a sad mush. I have been experimenting with less liquid and less cooking time, but what are some other ideas, particularly good breakfasts, that would use oats that retain some or all of their great texture? Anyone have some delicious ways to chow down on oats?

Replies

• Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I like the texture of steel-cut oats better than rolled oats, but it takes longer to cook. If I have time, I'll make a big pot and portion it out for the week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah steel cut.

Opposite issue for me, texture doesn't bother me but it tastes like cardboard.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I don't like cooked oatmeal. It's too mushy and I don't want to wait the 10 minutes it takes to cook it. I use quick oats with maybe half the hot water (they're just damp enough to stick together). I have rolled oats now and just toss 30 grams into Greek yogurt (with honey) and mix it up.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I don't like the mushiness of that porridge stuff either. I solved the problem by turning my oatmeal in to a...

cookie.

Thus...no mushiness.

On a more practical side...not really...I also add oatmeal to my yogurt with PB2 and a banana. I sometimes make those little energy balls such as this one...

http://www.thehealthymaven.com/2015/08/no-bake-oatmeal-protein-energy-balls.html

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I like mine savory - steel cut cooked in chicken broth, add some chives, cheddar, bacon crumbles and top with an egg. I do the same thing with barley.
    I often strain out some of the liquid and stop the cooking a little early OR cook risotto-style. (Toast the oats in a dry pan, and slowly add liquid a little at a time while stirring until it's absorbed, then add more. Takes longer.) I don't love the over-mushy texture myself.

You can also use your oats as a binder for things like meatballs and meatloaf instead of breadcrumbs. Or chewy granola. Or cookies, as mentioned above!
  • Funnylittlenut
    Funnylittlenut Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have you tried overnight oats? You soak them in a liquid overnight, so that they do go softer but retain more of their chewiness.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Steel cut all the way. Top it with some butter, a little parm and a poached egg and I am a happy girl.
  • srolandlan
    srolandlan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to be adding cooked runny oatmeal this week, but not sure how. It still stays chewy (I love oatmeal)! Do I drain it all and just have the hot oatmeal flavored water....or I am doing this wrong?
  • RaenaLynn
    RaenaLynn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    I like mine savory - steel cut cooked in chicken broth, add some chives, cheddar, bacon crumbles and top with an egg. I do the same thing with barley.
    I often strain out some of the liquid and stop the cooking a little early OR cook risotto-style. (Toast the oats in a dry pan, and slowly add liquid a little at a time while stirring until it's absorbed, then add more. Takes longer.

Trying this for breakfast tomorrow. Sounds delicious.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    srolandlan wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be adding cooked runny oatmeal this week, but not sure how. It still stays chewy (I love oatmeal)! Do I drain it all and just have the hot oatmeal flavored water....or I am doing this wrong?

Hmmm...I think you are doing it wrong. The directions for making oatmeal will be on the back of your box or you can google how to make overnight oatmeal in the fridge.

Why are you trying to add cooked runny oatmeal? Do you just want to add oatmeal to your diet?

I don't really like cooked oatmeal so I just use it to add to other things such as to my yogurt. I also use it to bind my my meatballs instead of crackers or breadcrumbs.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Try baked oatmeal. I made oatmeal muffins and they are so great. You can use applesauce, pumpkin puree or banana for the oil. I have tried them all and they are delicious. Cut the sugar in half if using banana.
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2016/10/recipe-review-baked-oatmeal.html
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=VkaVTQXLA90

Baked%2BOatmeal.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    Try baked oatmeal. I made oatmeal muffins and they are so great. You can use applesauce, pumpkin puree or banana for the oil. I have tried them all and they are delicious. Cut the sugar in half if using banana.
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2016/10/recipe-review-baked-oatmeal.html
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=VkaVTQXLA90

Baked%2BOatmeal.jpg

This looks tasty. I hate video recipes though!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    @Franc127; I found a print version. :)

Baked Oatmeal
    by the Domestic Geek

3 cups rolled oats
    ½ cup brown sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 eggs
    1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 cup milk
    1 tsp vanilla

Top with
    Cranberries and pistachios
    Blueberries and shredded coconut
    Chocolate chips and almonds

Grease muffin tin well. Set aside.
    In a large mixing bowl, combine rolled oats, brown sugar and baking powder. Set aside.
    In another mixing bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, milk and vanilla and whisk thoroughly.
    Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix.
    Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin.
    Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.
    Enjoy!

Nutrition Facts
    12 Servings
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 138.5
    Total Fat 2.7 g
    Saturated Fat 0.5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.8 g
    Cholesterol 32.7 mg
    Sodium 108.9 mg
    Potassium 88.2 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
    Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
    Sugars 14.7 g
    Protein 4.4 g
  • AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with oatmeal in my smoothie. 99% of the time I, like you, can not handle a traditional bowl of oatmeal even though I LOVE oatmeal! I think it is a texture thing.

This oatmeal chocolate smoothie is my absolute favorite. I don't usually add the protein powder but find 2 bananas, some sweetener with oatmeal & hemp seeds amazing.
    https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/10/11/vegan-oatmeal-smoothie-chocolate-protein-thick-creamy/
    0zsog9ward8w.jpg

Oatmeal mashed with bananas are awesome too. Use a lot more oats than bananas to make the mixture as dry as possible so that the final product is less mushy.

Chocolate Oatmeal Bars (use more oats than recommended!)
    https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/08/08/vegan-chocolate-chip-oatmeal-breakfast-bars-low-fat-gf/
    ry2hpsdashec.jpg

Or these cinnamon raisin "2 ingredient cookies
    https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/12/18/vegan-what-i-eat-in-a-day-6-budget-3/
    zryquy83pmhx.jpg

Lastly, these no bake oatmeal bars are addictive. I thought they might be good but they're really too good so I don't make these often since they're almost as good as candy.
    https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/11/25/vegan-bars-energy-power-protein/
    8mxtbaznajtu.jpg

• char71165
    char71165 Posts: 65 Member
    Options