Are you a weight watchers member?

Options

I've been considering joining weight watchers. Both my primary care physician and my gyno recommended weight watchers when I asked them their advice for losing weight. They said they believe it's one of the best weight loss programs out there, and they have a lot of patients that have told them that it was the only thing that worked for them. I also have a friend on facebook that I noticed had lost a lot of weight, so I sent her a message asking about her experience. She had lost 90 lbs after joining weight watchers. And I have also heard others mention weight watchers. Even my own mother apparently had success with that program many years ago.

Now, I know when it comes to the online program, it's probably not that different from MFP, which I plan to continue to use. But I need something more than just an online program. I realize that I need structure and accountability. Otherwise, I'm not sure if I will be able to actually make it to my goals.

So for those of you that are ww members, I would like to hear more about your experience and you recommendations. Really my biggest concern is that it cost $30 to become a member, plus $12 a week. To me, that seems a little high. But there are no contracts, so if I don't like it, I can stop. However, I have the type of personality, that I don't like to quit things. I would rather make the right decision up front, if possible. So I also need to know if it is worth the money.

*Note: I already know the negative things people say about ww, including the debate of Points vs PointsPlus. I could care less about that stuff. I'm trying to find out more of the positive aspects of being a ww member.

Replies

• voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed being a WW member. It taught me how to eat, really. Fruits, veggies, dairy etc. Also, all about the oils we should consume and the importance of water. I lost 45lbs in 8 months on WW and managed to keep it off for nearly 4 years.

It wasn't until the recent changes to WW that I quit being a member and am trying MFP. And I lost all my weight with their online program. I didn't step ONE foot into a meeting.
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    I am not a current WW member, but, i LOVE ww and I think their new program is great!!!! The BEST part for me were the meetings the accountability of standing on the scale and having it recorded and then the support from those around you. I HIGHLY recommend going to meetings if you can!!!!! HIGHLY recommend it. You can "unjoin" at any time, I say go for it!! The best deal is the monthly pass b/ c you can track online AND go to the meetings. I LOVED WW!!!!!
  • priescm
    priescm Posts: 95
    Options
    I had weight watchers for almost 2 years. I really liked it because it was easier to calculate than looking at calories. I lost about 30lbs using it....I recently cancelled it when I found MFP because I like MFP better AND it's free. I was paying 17.95/month for weight watchers and it's essentially the same thing...except the database doesn't have as many foods on it already as MFP does. I also stopped using it when the points plus system came out. I'm not a fan of the points plus because it seems more difficult to follow. I had already memorized the points value of my commonly eaten foods and had put foods I eat that weren't in the database in there and then with the points plus, it messed everything up. I'm not sure if its worth it. I think MFP has the same tools for the most part but you don't have to pay almost $20/month.
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    I loved weight watchers. I lost 90lbs between 2002 and 2004. (see pics on my profile from then) but unfortunately I stopped going to meetings/went travelling/went to university/got married/currently pregnant so I am back at the top. I plan to use MFP after this baby is born though because we live way out in the country.

But yes- weight watchers was AMAZING. It changed my life, and if you can afford meetings, the support is priceless.
  • jmontez
    jmontez Posts: 1
    Options
    I am a current WW member however I just recently rejoined. I lost nearly 60 pounds about 7 years ago and only in the last year did it all come back, mainly due to my own bad eating habits and life just changed for me....lots of changes....TO ME IT IS WORTH THE MONEY....the accountability of having to go in every week and weigh is what I needed.....besides just having access online to log your food..(just like MFP) they give you recipes with the points values etc....lots of OTHER benefits...I say GO FOR IT!!!
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs in one month on the original WW points system.
    I lost 0 lbs on the ww points plus in 30 days BUT I felt better and my clothes were fitting loser as well as I was more "regular" so i think if I would have stuck with it a bit longer results would have come! I think you should give it a go and see how you like it. I loved the meetings each week and the weigh in as well as having face to face support. Good luck
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I was a WW member for a while. I did it all online. I cancelled my subscription when I stopped using it. I basically got annoyed having to take the extra step to figure out Points values. I think WW is great. If you need meetings and that type of accountability, I'd definitely consider joining. However, keep in mind that the online tools are only included in the price if you sign up for the monthly pass, which is more than what you have estimated here.
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    They run specials all the time where the sign up fee is waved. I think the best way to do it is monthly because then you can attend the meetings and still use the online tools free.. I was a WW member and it was convenient having the app on my phone to record things.. My MD recommended it as well and also informed me that it is the only diet based program that is approved by the FDA. It has the best results. I did lose weight on it, but when my schedule got crazy and I started to do a lot of traveling, I was unable to continue. It isnt a hard program to follow, but you must be dedicated.. It is better to cook all of your meals while using WW or buy their frozen entrees, but I didnt have time or the resources for that. Being on the road bites, but Im back home and considering re-joining. Goodluck!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I did WW and lost 55lbs a few years back. The biggest advantage I see for doing it is exactly what you said... having someone else look at my weight and tell me "Good job" or "What were you eating that caused you to gain ___", "Were you logging", etc. It also helped to get a friend to join with me - this way we couldn't skip weigh-ins just cause we didn't want to hear the # on the scale...

That being said - I stopped logging and strayed from my eating habits, and well - that's a slippery slope - so now I'm here losing about 40 of that over again. I've still had pretty good success, though not what I had with WW (although I did that when I was 29, and I'm now nearing 36, plus we had a free gym at my office, so I went 5 days a week for 1.5h whereas my exercise has been sporadic this time around.)
  • patricia184
    patricia184 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have done WW in the past and I didn't want to pay the weekly $$ so, for $40 I joined a three month weight loss challenge where I was weighed weekly and given food and lifestyle change advice. I REALLY needed to be held accountable to that weekly weigh-in, to look that person in the eye, to know that I was going to have to get on that scale. That's the main reason I joined. I did MFP for the food journaling and Weight Loss Challenge for the weigh-in, which was much cheaper than the weekly WW fee.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Okay... positves about WW:

I have been a WW for over 7 years and I have to say for me the most positive thing is the meetings. I am blessed to live in area with several meetings a week and nearly every meeting has a different leader. This means if I don't "click" with one of the leaders or the people in the meetings, I can go to a different. I lucked out and found the best WW leader ever! I was in it for the long haul because I had to lose 120 pounds total. I lost the first 80 pounds rather quickly, but then life and family drama caused me to fall back into my emotional eating.

My wonderful leader told me every week to just keep coming back and eventually something would click and I would get back on track. I gained nearly 30 pounds back, but I kept going and when my life evened out and the drama subsided, I was able to get back on track. I know that if I had quit I would have gained all the weight back and then some. But I stuck it out because of the leader and wonderful people in my meetings.

I now work as receptionist for WW and get the opportunity to pay it forward. I know encourage people who are struggling. I applaud those people that face the scale even though they know they've gained because facing the scale is the hard to do on a "bad" week.

And even though I still work for WW, I attend my own meeting faithfully every week.

Why I am on this site? Because of the Points vs Points Plus battle. I lost 113 pound on the old Points program, but since the introduction of the Points+, I have struggled and seen more gains than losses. I truly believe the new program is flawed because it doesn't not take calories into consideration. This site has helped me to determined the amount of points I need to consume on average day. And this site has given me back my confidence in myself and my ability to lose weight.

So yes, I love WW, but I am discouraged at the moment. Though I have heard rumors they may be tweaking or coming out with a fix for the new program. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that true!!
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Not anymore! I can do the same thing here for free! :D I find that the people on this site are much more supportive, as well.
  • MAG2010
    MAG2010 Posts: 30
    Options
    Not anymore! I can do the same thing here for free! :D I find that the people on this site are much more supportive, as well.

Oh I remember the boards there were BRUTAL when I did it years ago. People were intentionally mean for kicks!!!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    One more thing... about the cost. You can do the Pay-As-You-Go for $12 a week (right now registration is $1) or you can do a Monthly Pass for $39.95. With that you get the meetings and E-Tools (the WW site and tracking stuff).

Hope that helps! :smile:
  • hwilliams519
    hwilliams519 Posts: 428
    Options
    One more thing... about the cost. You can do the Pay-As-You-Go for $12 a week (right now registration is $1) or you can do a Monthly Pass for $39.95. With that you get the meetings and E-Tools (the WW site and tracking stuff).

Hope that helps! :smile:

Thanks. You were very helpful. I saw the $1 registration online, but it is only for certain areas, and not mine unfortunately. I'm supposed to start a group challenge on Monday, here on MFP. So I'm going to see if that gives me the structure and accountability that I'm looking for. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try finding a face-face support group somewhere, which may or may not be WW. From what I've heard, no one really likes the new PointsPlus program, so maybe I shouldn't jump the gun on that, bc they may be changing it. Plus, I still think that's a lot of money.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I will be until 7/31 when my subscription runs out. MFP is working much much better for me.

However, I do have Lifetime status with WW. So once I"m back to within 2lbs of goal weight (13 pds to go!), I can go to meetings for free. So, I will probably still attend 1-2 meetings a month. I truly enjoy the meetings, but the new plan (PPV) is NOT working for me. The Flex plan was amazing; I lost 89 pounds on it.
  • Hooper28
    Hooper28 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did WW years ago when it was points plus and lost 93 pounds. I tried it again now when the new program came out and I was having trouble with it. I've been doing MFP since Monday and love it. I really think tracking calories is easier than points. It makes making decisions while you're out easier. You can look at the NI on a label in the store and decide if you want to buy it or not. With WW you'd have to stand there and calculate points.
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    I am on WW until July 28th. I have been told I didn't work the program, I didn't try enough, I didn't track my points. I did all of this, plus exercise, and did not lose much. But, I do believe WW is a good program and it all depends on what you're actually looking for. I find I can track my food better here, as it shows me the actual amount of calories, and not just the points. What would happen is that you can eat "0" points foods, but not really know exactly what you were eating. I do like MFP a lot better and as so many here said, "it's free!!" Fortunately, I found some great boards on WW, and will continue even after not being a member.
  • RedheadHen
    RedheadHen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just quit ww this week! After finding MFP! I was only online and this offers the same stuff for free. Cost is important to me. Now, I will say if you need the FACE to FACE ... find the way to pay for the weekly meetings. My Aunt goes to weekly meetings and she has lost over 40 lbs in since January. Slowly but surely. She loves the accountability of going in person. She has learned so much and looks forward to her weekly meetings! It can be the push you need to get the job done!

I can say that I was on ww about 10 years ago and lost about 40-45 lbs following the Points system. I loved it! I was strictly on line though. I'm real anal when it comes to holding myself accountable. What I loved about it was that it taught me PORTION CONTROL!! That is a biggie for me! Oh and snacking wisely!! I still carry with me all the stuff I learned then but need to keep track of it to hold myself accountable.

I love using MFP because I have a few RL friends doing it too! We all respond to each other's walls and stuff so it's great! I also noticed that the forums here are WAY nicer, friendly and REAL. :)
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

*Note: I already know the negative things people say about ww, including the debate of Points vs PointsPlus. I could care less about that stuff. I'm trying to find out more of the positive aspects of being a ww member.

I am not, nor have I ever been, a WW member. "So, why are you replying?" one might reasonably ask. Because my wife has been a WW member for the past three or four years (I don't know exactly), and she's had great success with the "old" points program, having lost more than 80 lb. She's now doing the life member / maintenance thing. (And no, she doesn't like Points Plus either.)

I, on the other hand, not only wanted to lose weight, I also was diagnosed with gout here a while back, and that's something with some odd dietary implications. I went to see a professional nutritionist, hoping for a simple, integrated diet plan that I could follow without a whole lot of fuss ... and she put together a customized program for me. ("Is it low fat or low carb?" I asked. She gave me an odd smile and answered, "Yes.") It was also she who pointed me to MFP for food-logging purposes, although I've since found it to be useful and enjoyable in a number of other ways, too. I bring this up because my wife was a $39.95 / month member. The nutritionist charged me $60 for my first visit, which lasted an hour and a quarter and involved many, many questions (from both her and me) and explanations (all from her). Thereafter, it's $30 per return visit, of which I've had one and am due for another in a couple of weeks -- but after that, she said, if I'm still doing well, she doesn't want to see me for another 6 months. In addition, she strongly encourages me to phone or email with questions at any time, and she's very prompt about answering the email.

My point -- and I do have one! -- is that individual attention from a credentialled nutritionist / dietician is proving cheaper than a WW membership ... and, to my mind, is a much better value. And there's my two cents' worth.