What have you done to make this a lifestyle and not just a diet?

Options
akelarae
akelarae Posts: 17 Member
I'm curious to know how you have made this (with the help of MFP) a lifestyle instead of just another diet. I'm working on my mindset. I need to view things differently than every other time.

Replies

• tbeebe99
    tbeebe99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ... I may reach an ideal weight but that's not the end game. Health and longevity are my desires.

Well said.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Changed my eating habits and went from being a couch potato to exercising on the regular...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Adopted a permanent exercise program. Granted, when I was losing weight I worked out six days a week. I've now dropped that to five days a week, and might drop to four later but I will try to keep that schedule up as long as I am physically able. That, at least, should keep me in shape and able to eat enough daily to be satisfied.
  • PaulaS1220
    PaulaS1220 Posts: 61 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The number one thing for me is to not make any changes I can't live with forever. So that means no "bad" food that I can't have. Nothing is off limits. This is not a temporary thing, it's supposed to be permanent, so I don't restrict anything too much. I drink beer, I eat pizza, I had cookies yesterday. It's just finding a balancing point where you can have the things you love, but not in excess. I also found a form of exercise I enjoy (running), which I think has made all the difference in my effort this time around.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have a very addictive personality, so in order to see changes in my weight I absolutely have to stay away from sweets and junk food. For me there's no such thing as 1 cookie :( I'm afraid that if I have something I used to eat constantly I will fall back into my old ways and eat like complete crap. The trick is figuring out your flaws and trying to fix them or find the right route for you. I am currently taking it day by day and focusing on what i eat for each meal vs thinking about long term results right now.. I feel this is what is going to give me A+ results.

I have absolutely no self control with certain (lots) of food items - I absolutely refuse to buy those items and bring them home. I will eat them when out though, or if I can buy a single portion at one time (as in 1 cookie or 1-2 pieces of sponge candy from the bulk foods or patisserie sections as a treat). Or 1 ice cream cone from the bodega after a long run.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I have focused on exercise, vs. diet. Healthy people exercise - whether or not they eat "clean" or lowfat, or whatever... Exercise is for life.

I am trying to eat more protein and less carbs - but, I am not doing anybody's idea of "Low Carb" or even "Dieting." I eat tacos, I eat chocolate... Deprivation is bad... at least in the long term. I eat what I like - just less of it. If I am at the store - I ask myself... am I willing to eat lowfat cottage cheese for the rest of my life? If the answer is yes - then I go for it. IF the answer is NO - then I buy the full fat cottage cheese... I want nothing that I feel like I will ever "go off of" or stop doing. Whatever I am doing now is what I will continue to do for the rest of my life.

Also - I am trying hard to be patient. I set MFP for 1 lb a week - and it allows a good amount of calories, especially with exercise, but, it takes FOREVER... so, it almost has to be a lifestyle - since it is going to take what seems like the rest of my life to get where I want to be... lol.

You can do this... we all can.
  • kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    for me, these are the things that worked.
    • drink water. I am now addicted to water. I bring it everywhere.. shopping, driving, working, the movies.... everywhere.
    • eat when I am hungry. I know this might sound counter-intuitive, but my life changed when I started snacking at work. I would get headaches throughout the day because I was so hungry, and then by the time I had lunch or got home, I'd eat anything in sight. I of course bring healthy snacks to work. Usually banana, apple, cheese, nuts, dried fruit, baby carrots, sometimes a dip of hummus or homemade peanut butter. It helps me resist the endless office treats too!
    • set specific goals. In the past, my goals were "lose weight" or "get healthy". Now my goal is = lose 100 pounds in 1 year. I shoot for 2 lbs a week. I am almost 6 months in and 48 lbs lost, right on schedule. Non-scale goals are helpful too. My 2017 goals are: do a push up, run a 12min/mile, hike Camel's Hump, etc.
    • exercise after work. It took me all of 1 day to realize I am not the wake-up-to-go-to-the-gym type. I go on runs after work or lately I've been doing 30 day shred.
    • take walks at work. I try to do it every day. Come rain, come snow. I'll be walking my same loop around the office.

good luck! you can do this :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!