Fruit.. Does it make anyone else hungry like 10 mins later??

Options
I believe I have developed some sort of sugar imbalance issue over the past couple of years so it sort of makes sense why eating an apple for a snack causes me to have to eat an entire meal 10 mins later.. just wondering if anyone else deals with this problem?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Are you really hungry or just bored when you eat after some fruit?
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Not when I add some pb2 and mini chocolate chips for a few extra calories. I think I'm just more mentally satisfied, though.
  • price101110
    price101110 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hmm makes sense! Yes I felt full by the apple when I was finished but i was STARVING 10 mins later..so annoying. My husband is hypoglycemic and if he has fruit it makes him 10x hungrier because of all of the sugar in the fruit. He's the same with dessert, if he has a full meal and a piece of pie, he'll be hungry less than an hour later. Sounds like i could be developing the same kind of thing? Also i just started "dieting" and my stomach is still in the process of shrinking so maybe this will happen for a little while?
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel crap, don't eat it.

But it probably is more in your mind than anything, plus what Kimny says - there just isn't enough in an apple to satisfy you for long.

It's like having an appetiser - your body is in eager anticipation of what's coming next! Especially since you're new to this.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    It's why I eat my fruits before the bulk of my meal, my huge salads being an exception. I know I'm going to be hungry after eating the fruit, so I just have more food after. I've also tried pairing fruit with the "go-to" items like PB/nut butter or cheese. Nope, hungry in about 10 minutes.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I find fruit to be filling. Especially apples.

When it comes to satiety, people are different.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Apples in particular do make me feel more hungry than if I hadn't bothered.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Can you explain your "sugar imbalance" to me?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

They do this to me,too
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Interesting. Apples are my go-to for satiety.

OP, I feel hungry after eating certain fruits but not others. While bananas and apples do wonders for my satiety, strawberries (most berries, really) and clementines do nothing for me. That's why I consume my "hungry fruits" only as a part of a larger satiating meal or whenever I want them while not particularly hungry.

If you suspect you are diabetic or pre diabetic, a visit to the doctor is in order. Don't decide you have it without an official diagnosis, and if you do, you will need to take medically approved actions to manage it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i don't snack on fruit as i don't find it filling, i will usually have it as part of a meal, but, with the exception of bananas i would never expect fruit to keep me going at all.
  • moonpoppy
    moonpoppy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had this for years ... but after recently being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, within 24 hours of being put on Metformin (medication) this weird hunger reaction stopped. May be wise to take a visit to your GP and check your sugar levels; I perform much better (physically, mentally and emotionally) now I've dropped the carbs to a low count and eat more protein and fibre!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Not me, I find fruit filling, but yeah lots of people don't find it filling at all and some say it makes them extra hungry (although I suspect that's more being hungry anyway and it not being filling for them). On the other hand, I mostly don't snack, since snacking just makes me think about eating more and if I don't do it I am not hungry between meals. (I like fruit and eat it at some meals and occasionally right after as dessert.)

Anyway, what foods are filling differs person to person, so not finding fruit satiating is normal and doesn't mean you have a sugar imbalance, whatever that is. Just eat other stuff.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Interesting. Apples are my go-to for satiety.

OP, I feel hungry after eating certain fruits but not others. While bananas and apples do wonders for my satiety, strawberries (most berries, really) and clementines do nothing for me. That's why I consume my "hungry fruits" only as a part of a larger satiating meal or whenever I want them while not particularly hungry.

If you suspect you are diabetic or pre diabetic, a visit to the doctor is in order. Don't decide you have it without an official diagnosis, and if you do, you will need to take medically approved actions to manage it.

This.

I was diagnosed by my doctor as being a prediabetic a few years back and I had no symptoms at all. I didn't feel weird after eating certain foods etc. Only reason I found out was I had some unexpected blood work to check for something else and the hospital ran a full blood test panel, which picked up a really high glucose number. Otherwise I wouldn't have even known. Something like only 10% find out they have prediabetes before it progresses to type 2.

OP-being hungry after eating certain foods isn't a symptom and it sounds like you're just eating foods that have a low satiety level for you. If eating fruit makes you feel more hungry then don't eat it by itself and pair it with a meal. Problem solved :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Same here but it's totally fine if I have something with protein and fat with it.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Fruit digests relatively quickly. I prefer to eat them with a balanced meal (but I'm not a snacker though).

For example my breakfast later this morning will start off with an pear. Then I will make my blueberry waffle and eat a hard boiled egg.

This will keep me full/satiated for about 5 hours, whereas just a piece of fruit would only last about 15 minutes if that.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Apples are my go-to for staving off hunger. However, most of the times I am tired, bored or stressed, and then I think I am hungry when I am not. I usually will drink about 8-16 oz of water and then wait another 15-20 minutes to see if I am really hungry. Usually I am not hungry...just a mental thing.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect my snack to keep me full as long as one of my main meals would/should. A snack is a snack. So maybe have a look at the rest of your day and the timings in between. Having said that fruit isn't for everyone in the first place, so maybe try other things.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I just Googled it. Most of the answers are that it's high in sugar and therefore doesn't fill you up and can trigger hunger.
    I have no idea if that's true.