food is not my friend.

Options
anyone else feel this way? seriously I do not have a love relationship with it. After eating myself up to 300lbs and working so hard to come back from that I have had to treat food as FUEL for my body and nothing more. Don't get me wrong, I don't eat things I don't like, ever but when I find a food, even one that is good for me that I really really like, it is pretty much doomed to get kicked from my cabinet. the more I like a food the more likely it is to be a problem for me so I don't keep it in stock.

Before anyone says "how awful" or " i love my food" let me just say that if I could take all my meals in a pill 3 times a day I would. When I weighed 300 lbs and my knees hurt, I couldn't breathe and was embarassed to go anywhere THAT was miserable. Not lusting after food is definitely preferrable in my opinion.:smile:

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I know you said not to say this, but . . . this makes me sad :P My relationship to food has greatly improved since I've lost weight. I know I had to lose less than half of what you did, but I believe the only reason I wasn't a lot bigger than I was is because I walked a lot in high school and college. I overate like a champion. Now that I'm healthy, I am SUCH a foodie.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    lol, dont be sad, I'm not. I seriously don't miss enjoying my food. Well, overenjoying it, lol. I do still enjoy but not like before.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    thats why i go to the store every other day to get groceries...that way nothing is in stock except just little stuff for the kids, but i am now getting in the right frame of mind that i discipline myself not to get into the cabinets.....i get no fat/no sugar snack now..
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    ok i know what your saying ,,but in my opinion its not about having a hate for food ,,food is great & you have to learn to love it ,,not all food is worthy of your love ,,some foods need your knowledge & respect to weigh up if its ok or not & if it is middle ground to respect the dose in which to have it ,,im still not there yet but i am trying so hard to love food ,the good food the food i can abuse & the foods i know if i touch will start a full on addiction again to other foods .
    im a chef & its a struggle to change my whole approach to food ,,,sorry to say what you say you dont want to hear but - food is graet its just learning which foods are great & lets face it for all us who have or are fat now we have learnt to love the bad stuff ,if we had started right & loved the right foods ,we would never have got fat in the first place ,,its not the food thats to blame its the humans that eat it
    btw -welldone for what you have allready done ,love & luck for the rest of your journey x
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    ok i know what your saying ,,but in my opinion its not about having a hate for food ,,food is great & you have to learn to love it ,,not all food is worthy of your love ,,some foods need your knowledge & respect to weigh up if its ok or not & if it is middle ground to respect the dose in which to have it ,,im still not there yet but i am trying so hard to love food ,the good food the food i can abuse & the foods i know if i touch will start a full on addiction again to other foods .
    im a chef & its a struggle to change my whole approach to food ,,,sorry to say what you say you dont want to hear but - food is graet its just learning which foods are great & lets face it for all us who have or are fat now we have learnt to love the bad stuff ,if we had started right & loved the right foods ,we would never have got fat in the first place ,,its not the food thats to blame its the humans that eat it
    btw -welldone for what you have allready done ,love & luck for the rest of your journey x
    correction = great ,,,sorry its late here
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    I so know what you are talking about with the health problems associated with obesity and being over 300 pounds. Been there and I have to say that I still consider food as my friend. Some foods, however, are definitely not my best friend. :angry: I am still trying to battle my food addictions and do well with it about 95% of the time. I have had to take the attitude that if I indulge, enjoy it and work very hard to keep the portions real. This is working for me but I know each person's journey is different. Congrats on your success!
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    Food is my drug..... I use it to ease stress, to ease anxiety, to celebrate a victory, to cure boredom, to heal sadness, to help me sleep, to reward myself....
    Yea... i hear ya, girl! Food will never be my "friend"... I don't hate it, though, because I realize I have the power to GAIN the power over it. It is a necessary evil... something I will forever have to think about, weigh, judge, count, and plan for. The difference between food and alcohol is this... an alcoholic doesn't HAVE to have alcohol around them 24/7. Someone who is addicted to food HAS to eat or they will die. So.... I know I will have a working, cordial relationship with food someday, but it is and always will be my frenemy! :D
  • Ladywindchaser
    Ladywindchaser Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Food is not my friend also. I never really was interested in food until I reached my late 40's. I never weighed over 100 lbs until then. Never had time to just sit and enjoy food. Wow, then all of a sudden I found time in my life to enjoy a Dinner. I found myself actually sitting down and eating. Then I found that I really just enjoyed eating. But I can not do that, I am a Diabetic and that will never change. What I would love is just to be able to sit down and eat a bowl of fried rice or maybe 4 pieces of fruit without worrying about going into a coma from the carbs/sugars. So yea food is truly not my friend it is more like my enemy and I am not happy about that! So I totally get what you are saying.