Vegan Lifestyle

Options
Plant based lifestyle discussion group! Anyone have any tips for quick veggie meals? Or meals for a busy lifestyle?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    My go to...

Spicy Boca Chicken Salad

You just make a salad with what ever you like in the salad and chop up a grilled spicy chicken boca patty and toss on top.
  • BethC1979
    BethC1979 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stir fry. Whatever veg I have and maybe some tofu. Top with a little soy sauce and serve either as is or over rice.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    My go to...

Spicy Boca Chicken Salad

You just make a salad with what ever you like in the salad and chop up a grilled spicy chicken boca patty and toss on top.

Did I miss something or is this definitely not a vegan meal?
  • BethC1979
    BethC1979 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Boca spicy chicken is vegan, I believe.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    BethC1979 wrote: »

I should have used google. Vegan chicken is a thing............
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I'm not Vegan myself, but I do like Trader Joe's Pizza Veggie Burger. It's microwaveable, so you can easily heat it up and use it with vegan bread or a lettuce wrap for a quick meal.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan till Christmas Eve. This recipe is highly recommended if you like sesame butter (tahini):

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012834-roasted-cauliflower-with-tahini-parsley-sauce

The sauce is rich and sticks to your ribs, but beware of the calories.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    BethC1979 wrote: »

I should have used google. Vegan chicken is a thing............

It's a yummy thing:)
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    I'm not Vegan myself, but I do like Trader Joe's Pizza Veggie Burger. It's microwaveable, so you can easily heat it up and use it with vegan bread or a lettuce wrap for a quick meal.

They're delicious, but not vegan. They are loaded with cheese and egg I believe. But if you eat those, then yes, they are very good.
    (I was told these were vegan by someone who gave me one...I'm severely allergic to both cow dairy and eggs and had a nice fun hospital visit...but it was definitely tasty! I don't skimp on reading labels now, lol)
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »

They're delicious, but not vegan. They are loaded with cheese and egg I believe. But if you eat those, then yes, they are very good.
    (I was told these were vegan by someone who gave me one...I'm severely allergic to both cow dairy and eggs and had a nice fun hospital visit...but it was definitely tasty! I don't skimp on reading labels now, lol)

Not vegan but always interested to read people adapt different lifestyles!

That must have been a terrible experience - I guess it would make anybody take more time to check the labels after!
    I know I'd be more cautious after that too!
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My advice: use a pressure cooker (I like Instapot for its versatility, but before that I used a $20 stovetop pressure cooker). Canned pulses are great, but overtime it's easy to get bored from the lack of variety.
    I also recommend the book "Quick Fix Vegetarian" by Robin Robertson (don't be fooled by the title, the recipes are vegan) - the recipes are simple and do work, besides there is a great introduction about a well stocked vegan pantry.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Find a vegan group in your area that does potlucks. There's a group in my area that does monthly potlucks and it's seriously my favorite thing. You can eat everything so you can go ham on the buffet (no pun intended), and there's rarely a food coma afterwards (benefit of vegan). It's also a great way to meet people who live a similar lifestyle and good recipe inspiration as well.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Like amusedmonkey, I'm also vegan until Christmas eve. Here are a couple of vegan recipes I invented for fasting seasons:

http://ingogly.com/category/food-and-recipes

I've found a mix of fresh and reconstituted dry mushrooms adds a nice meatiness to recipes. For recipes like these that traditionally include sausage or ham hocks, using chipotle chili flakes gives that smokiness. By the way, I just tried Progresso's vegetable broth in a recipe and I like it much better than some of the other brands I've tried.
  • kyliempressnell1229
    Options
    I'm a little late, but I like to get frozen stir fry veggies and throw that together with brown rice and some braggs aminos... maybe even some tofu if I have time. The beyond meatless strips are awesome with it too but take some time to cook :)

Also steamed broccoli and oil free fries
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    - Stir-fry is your friend. Whatever vegetables you've got + whatever protein you've got = always a good dish.
    - I'm weirdly obsessed with congee.
    - Maangchi is a Korean YouTube cook that makes a wide variety of Korean dishes that can be easily veganized.
    - Spaghetti is an oldie but goodie.
  • AWAKENholistic
    AWAKENholistic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Restarting vegan diet!!
  • BEARSpaternalUNIT
    BEARSpaternalUNIT Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone--found myself exploring different diets/eating lifestyles and with a lot of recent self study found I returned back to where I was years ago--but with renewed interest and enthusiasm for a mostly whole foods approach . Im really shifting my 2017 focus on health over weight loss and thought I would start by finding some like minded vegan friends here. Please consider adding me as a friend. Thank you in advance! Good luck to everyone here--vegan all in or dipping in a curious toe.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I made a mashed potato quesadilla last night, with the right tortilla it would be vegan.
  • ksnoe
    ksnoe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat vegan 5/7 days a week and vegetarian most of the time. My sisters specialty when I come to visit is a vegan potato soup made with portabella mushrooms. Its amazing! She uses corn starch to thicken the broth so its much more hearty than a traditional vegan soup. Chili is also a go to. And adding liquid smoke to stuff like stir-fry and potatoes. It gives food a nice meaty flavor without the guilt. :)