worried this is why im not losing weight =(

Options
Hey was gonna decide to not try to lose weight but would like to get more toned and lose atleast a few pounds so i'd be healthier but the thing is I am taking this shot I get every 3 months and weight gain is a side effect from it and I did gain weight since I started taking it , went from 137-147 which is were im at now and I want to get back down to 137.However I lost weight went down from 150 to 147 so I lost 3 pounds.Since I did lose weight is it still possible to continue to lose weight even taking the shot or do you think the shot is gonna make it even harder or maybe not possible to lose anymore?I did lose inches but im not losing anymore weight , any advice on this means alot cause im afraid it's holding me back or am wond ering if it's still possible to lose more.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Just because it's a side effect, doesn't mean you should'nt try! You could always ask your doctor if he/she knows how difficult it would be to lose the weight while taking the shot.
  • LetGoLaughin12
    LetGoLaughin12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure...but don't give up. I'm sure if you try your hardest, you will be able to lose weight, but the medicine will probably make it much harder.
  • Lauren38570
    Lauren38570 Posts: 239
    Options
    ok if all else fails may have to stop taking it I mean it's not a case were I won't die if I stop taking it or anything like that , lol just wanna be able to eat what I want and before I took the shot I was able to quite a bit
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You can loose more. Im on the birth control pill and you gain an extra 10 lbs when you take that, I still lost weig. Its important never give up.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If the shot makes it harder to lose weight, that's all the more reason to bust your butt. Better to lose or maintain than gain.

Following a site like this where you track your food intake makes it much easier. I know I'm prone to overeating and grazing on foods if I'm not mindful of what goes in my mouth.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the Depo shot (it's every three months) and it is the one form of birth control PROVEN to cause some weight gain, plus if used for more than 2 years it starts to make women lose bone mass.

You should definitely work out and eat healthy to try and counteract the effects but for some women it's not always possible because the hormones make your body hold on to weight.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    if its a birth control shot, the hormones will make it more difficult to lose weight. that happens on almost all birth control so its kind of a choice you have to make. doesn't mean you shouldn't try to lose weight or at least maintain healthy habits, but don't beat a dead horse because its likely you won't get anywhere.
  • silverbullkitty
    Options
    If the shot makes it harder to lose weight, that's all the more reason to bust your butt. Better to lose or maintain than gain.

Following a site like this where you track your food intake makes it much easier. I know I'm prone to overeating and grazing on foods if I'm not mindful of what goes in my mouth.

Absolutely agree with this!!!!!! (above)
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I was on some meds/shots that caused weight gain, and now I really really truely wish I had tried extra hard during that time to at least maintain....what's the worst that will happen? You'll be more fit than you would have been :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If it is a birth control shot, you should try a different form of BC with lower estrogen. I use the NuvaRing and I didn't experience any weight gain. In fact, I started my lifestyle change the day after I first put it in. I didn't have problems losing weight at all.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Not try to judge, but try to help. I glanced your diary quickly, and it looks to me you are eating quite a lot of empty unhealthy snacks (Vodka Skyy Cherry, coco cola). I'm not seeing it like from time to time, it seems like a daily 20+ oz. Just an observation. May be try to eat healthier, less eating out, etc.
  • Lauren38570
    Options
    Yeah plus it gives me a big apetite too , but in everyone's opinion is 5'4 and 147 really all that bad?Trying to just accept how I am and just maintain im not anywere near obese
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I know someone who has the shot every three month and she lost 37 pounds with excerise and diet changes!! Dont let this be a excuse to not try,......you can do it believe it, it's just getting to that place of wanting it bad!! You can do it,......:O)
  • Lauren38570
    Options
    I will atleast try but if I was to stop taking the shot I won't stop healthy eating i'll still keep it up =)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I'm on Depo....I've not had any weight gain nor do I have cravings. I personally think that women use the excuse of BC to gain weight. Just keep working out, eat healthy...cut out the alcohol if possible, and get a proper nights rest. All of the factors will keep you slim.
  • Lauren38570
    Options
    me and alot of people I known gained alot from it but everyone is very different
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless you have a hormone imbalance (ie PCOS or thyroid issues), the average weight gain attributed to the shot is 5-10 pounds. The fact is that if you are worried about gaining weight and not going to do anything about your eating habits, then you will need to work out just to maintain where you are. Unlike one of your responses, those of us with these hormone imbalances can't control the weight gain even with proper diet. I was 18 when I got the shot, and eating fairly well (always maintaining), and I gained 80 pounds before the third shot (which I did not get). It doesn't sound at all like you have that problem, so maintaining or losing those few pounds the shot tries to put on you shouldn't be impossible to do with a little work.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    me and alot of people I known gained alot from it but everyone is very different

Just don't let it stop you from reaching your goals. Personal question...and you don't have to answer. If/when do you plan on having children?
    I, personally, don't want to have to worry about BC at all...I plan on getting Paraguard (the copper IUD) as soon as my insurance is in place. I hate the hassle of the pill, I've been on the patch before and it was easy to use. I've heard all kinds of good things about the Nuva Ring, you might want to look into that.
  • Lauren38570
    Options
    I never wanna have any children and I gained around 13 pounds from it but lost 3 so I guess thats about right then
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I never wanna have any children and I gained around 13 pounds from it but lost 3 so I guess thats about right then

If you are 100% certain you don't want kids look into having a tubal ligation. It's expensive and if you should want it reversed there is a very slim chance it can be done and it's about double the cost of the inital surgery. I would suggest an IUD or Norplant. They are long term but can easily be taken out should you ever want children. You're young...be wise and think it through.