Exhausted When I Strength Train

Options
I started doing the Strong & Sculpted program by Brad Schoenfeld about three weeks ago. I am in my fourth week of his strength training program. I lift 3 times each week, doing 4 X 10 of these exercises:

1. Machine Chest Press
2. Low Cable Row
3. Overhead Press
4. Squats
5. Lunges
6. Glute Brides

Before this program, I strength trained on and off (mostly off) for the past four years. I have a Fitbit and usually eat within the range it gives me (1,700 to 2,000) which depends on how active I am. I also do cardio at least five days each week because I want to get steps. I usually do around 45 minutes of cardio, sometimes I do two workouts a day.

I did not start paying attention to macros until a few days ago, I've been trying to get as much protein as possible.

I am completely exhausted. For the past three days, I've slept 11 hours. Today I feel really dazed. I know the content of my diet isn't great. Looking at my diary, my choices may seem dumb but I'm so new to this and I need help learning.

Another thing, I'm 5'6 and 148 lbs (BMI 24ish), I'm eating at a calorie deficit while strength training because I want to lose weight and preserve muscle mass. If I did a body recomposition instead of weight loss, I'd eat at maintenance right? Would I feel better physically? But am I too fat for body recomp? Or am I just going through growing pains while my body adjusts to the program? Help!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You are exhausted because you are over training ...I also wonder if you are eating enough calories? You need to have at least one , one hundred percent rest day ...
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Try skipping a strength workout and see if you feel better.

What do you do for cardio?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I think you're probably overtraining. Working out 5 days a week with two of those being two a days is a lot. Also, if you're eating at a deficit you will lose muscle mass in addition to fat. Just the name of the game- competitive lifters and bodybuilders deal with this a lot where they'll bulk and then cut. But make sure you're having a rest day and eating enough!

In terms of being exhausted though, for me I always found strength training made me more exhausted and hungry than cardio. I could run 7 miles and generally be fine through my day, but an hour of strength training and it was all naps and eating forever.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would cut down on the cardio. Drop two days so that you are doing it three and strength training three. Try that for a few weeks and see how you feel.
  • mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I think I will start strength training two days and doing cardio two days, and no more working out twice in one day. I appreciate your support!
  • NickIandolo
    NickIandolo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely add more water to your day. Start with 500ML before working out, and then the same afterwards. Always hydrate during the workout as well.

Then make sure you're well hydrated before sleep.

You'd be surprised at what a positive effect that much water will have on your training.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Overtraining and undereating

Take a deload week
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Definitely add more water to your day. Start with 500ML before working out, and then the same afterwards. Always hydrate during the workout as well.

Then make sure you're well hydrated before sleep.

You'd be surprised at what a positive effect that much water will have on your training.

And if she's already well hydrated this could just mess with her electrolyte balance which just exacerbates feeling *kitten*
  • mila_lova
    Options
    Thank you! You guys made me decide to start measuring my water. I assumed I was drinking enough, but now I'm not sure if I am or if I'm drinking too much.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    It's kind of concerning you're focusing on hydration and not calorie intake or overtraining
    mila_lova wrote: »
    Thank you! You guys made me decide to start measuring my water. I assumed I was drinking enough, but now I'm not sure if I am or if I'm drinking too much.

hydration.png?la=en
  • swheate2014
    swheate2014 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with ndj. You are prob overtraining if you're that wiped out. Try scaling back a bit and see how you feel. You can check your resting great rate in the morning to see how you're recovering.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Lifting 3 times a week with moderate cardio is not super likely to result in over training, even if in a calorie deficit...
    OP, you said you've been tired the past 3 days? Sure it's not illness or stress that's made you extra tired lately?
    Definitely get some rest if you're feeling lousy, but I find it really hard to believe that you're truly "over training" with this schedule, unless your cardio is really hard core.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Lifting 3 times a week with moderate cardio is not super likely to result in over training, even if in a calorie deficit...
    OP, you said you've been tired the past 3 days? Sure it's not illness or stress that's made you extra tired lately?
    Definitely get some rest if you're feeling lousy, but I find it really hard to believe that you're truly "over training" with this schedule, unless your cardio is really hard core.

I agree with you. Most people will never get close to overtraining; usually they're under recovering.

First thought is to make sure you're getting enough nutrients in your diet, specifically Vitamin B12 & Iron. Second, you're doing waaaay too much cardio. Keep the 3 days of lifting and lose 2-3 days of cardio. If you feel you just have to do something, do an active recovery workout - mobility work, a walk, etc. Third, don't eat according to "how active you are". Rest days are usually the days you need calories because you're rebuilding from the day before's workout! Also, find a set calorie amount and try to hit everyday, same with macros.
  • mila_lova
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @Sued0nim Sorry I replied to earlier posters saying that I'm going to exercise less this week to see how I feel. I'm planning on doing two more cardio sessions this week, one more strength session (with much lighter weights), and no more working out twice in one day. I usually eat in the calorie range my Fitbit gives me, which is like 1700-2000 depending on how active I am. Water was just the piece of the puzzle I hadn't thought of yet.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

you missed the
    Plus 45 minutes of cardio, sometimes twice a day five times a week

eating 1700-2000 calories at 148lbs (TDEE would be closer to 2500)
  • Sued0nim
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sorry cross posted with you
    I'd plan on an enforced rest for 7 days ...no cardio, more calories

Cos it may even be a bug and that will help you too
  • ndj1979
    Options

she is training seven days a week and sometimes twice a day, if that is not over-training then I don't know what is...
  • mila_lova
    Options
    @Sued0nim Enforced rest sounds wonderful! Does that mean no working out at all? Or should I lift very light weights and not do cardio?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - ideally you would strength train M W F and then mix in cardio on T Th Sat and take Sunday as 100% rest day ...
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    mila_lova wrote: »
    @Sued0nim Enforced rest sounds wonderful! Does that mean no working out at all? Or should I lift very light weights and not do cardio?

It's Christmas week ...rest, relax, go walking with friends

If you want to go to the gym do it, easily at 50%

See how you feel