Beautiful Behaviors - End of year 2016

Options
This thread will be for people who are focusing on creating a set of gorgeous habits that support a healthy lifestyle.

Weight loss is a byproduct, and not the focus. We will practice self-care by eating healthy foods, moving our bodies, drinking enough water, and other activities that make us FEEL GOOD without harmful effects.

For example, taking an hour with your current book on your favorite lounge chair is a great way to take care of yourself. Get a massage or facial, spend time with a friend, crafting… all good ways to make us feel good without the harmful effects of immediate gratification activities like overeating or indulging in other unhealthy activities. It’s all about taking care of ourselves and loving ourselves and making ourselves happy EVEN IF we are not at a weight we love right now.

Yes, we want to lose weight, but there’s more to life than that. Sometimes giving yourself a foot massage will keep you from the donut. Sometimes it won’t but you will still feel better.

This is a judgment free zone. Let’s support each other and leave the negativity offline. I’m tired of beating myself up about my size. I want to plan to do the best I can and not feel guilty about life getting in the way.

I’m a big believer in baby steps, and setting realistic goals, and celebrating every little success! No reason we can’t enjoy the journey to a healthier lifestyle, no reason we have to feel “wrong” because we are where we are.

If you like the way this sounds, please introduce yourself in this thread. Share whatever you like and come back often! I look forward to meeting people with similar attitudes towards life.

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Soooo much win in your post.
  • jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    thanks, i'm glad it spoke to you. i hope i find some people who feel the same way, it's more fun to do this with friends
  • mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love this idea. I like how you call them beautiful habits.

My name is Mila. I'm a 26 year old substitute teacher. I live in Southern California with my boyfriend. I've been working on developing healthy habits for about a month now. It's been hard lately. I'll be back with more later.
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    hi, @mila_lova , thanks for joining in! i look forward to reading more.
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    hey Libby, good for you for drinking SO much water each day! i believe it's necessary to keep all of our functions, well, functioning! :) i hope you feel less down after writing here, and that the rest of your day is fabulous. enjoy the swimming this evening!

jess
  • mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I keep trying to post but MFP cuts it off.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Feeling much better than I did this morning. Probably because I had gotten busier at work, so I wasn't staring at the clock so much, or outside!
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    congratulations, 35 days sounds like a lifetime! i'm on day 2. :)
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    glad you're feeling better, libby
  • iris2811
    iris2811 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful post OP and how great to see it's had a positive response
    Well I haven't got much to lose but for the past three years I've come back every winter to lose the same 15ish lb! Ridiculous! So this time my intention is to stick around and make sure those 15 stay off.
    I have a very positive outlook on life. My fitness is important to me now at 47 than it ever was when i was younger. This is for my vanity lol and also for my ten year old boy. I'm so pleased i still have both my parents alive at 80 and 90, I would hope to be there for him as he gets older.
    To keep me focused I've signed up for a 70 mile ride in April. Be prepared I love cycling and may well mention it once or twice ;-)

@jessiquoi you look sooooo much younger than you say you are!
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    thanks, Iris! that picture is two years old. my hair is long now, i should update my profile pic.

i love filling my life with positive people, and i hope you DO stick around after losing your 15 to inspire me on my looooong road ahead.
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    well, i just closed my food diary for the day. i've never done that before, i usually don't close them until the following morning, and i think that leaves me open to snack. anyway, it never worked before so i'm trying something different. let's see if i can stay satisfied this evening with just water... of which i've had 64 oz already!
  • iris2811
    iris2811 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh yes sticking around is one of my goals for next year :-)

yes you do have a long road but with your great attitude you'll do just fine!
    Well done on drawing a line under your day - i'm never sure what to think about the five week prediction that comes with it - it's too dependent on that day to have any real relevance yet i bet we all look at it and wither dream or fret ;) & the water intake - you will find that will soon become a habit I'm sure

btw I lived in a caravan/trailer for nealy nine months whilst my (now) ex remodeled out home... you have some interesting times ahead :-) I had literally just fallen pregnant and we were both worried how we'd cope with showers at the gym and frozen pipes ect ect - keep a focus on the end result and whilst i sometime may seem like it's going on forever have an estimated finish date at the back of your head and keep counting down to that - in the end the hardship was more than worth it for us - also if you you are lucky enough to have friends (like we did) who will take pity on you and invite you over for dinner and a bath, don't be proud hahaha just thank them with a moving in party later :-)
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    Good morning all! I'm so happy with yesterday, I could dance.

I got my steps up to almost 2500, which is up from under 1000 at the beginning of the week. I feel like I'm going to beat that today, cause it's an "in the office" day and I always walk more when I'm here.

I drank 90 oz of water! That is harder for me to do at the office, but I do have a lot of unsweetened iced tea while I'm here, which will have to suffice.

Finally, I ate 400 calories less than the day before, so I'm closing in on actually staying within the suggested 1600 calorie limit MFP gave me.

All in all, a day I'm proud of for this first week of mine.

IRIS, this is actually the second time I will be living in a construction zone, but the first time I was 20 years younger. I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm not totally petrified either. My biggest concerns are 1) how well and how quickly will my cat adjust; and 2) how well will I be able to stick to a healthy eating program when I don't have a kitchen. We shall see. I'm glad to have some support here. I always do better when I can vent lol.

@ajerome3386 thanks for joining us! Happy Day 36!

LIBBY, how's your day going so far?

MILA, I hope today MFP allows you to post. :)

Where are you all living? I'm in Harford County, MD, but I'm from Brooklyn, NY.
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    Libby, I so get the way you felt last night. Great job setting an awesome example for that 5 yr old girl! You know, you could make your diary private so nobody can see it, and then you can just practice being honest with yourself and not worry about anyone seeing anything. There's no failure unless you stop trying!