I'm embarrassed to run...

Options
I'm 265lbs but I've always dreamed about being a runner. I need to get my weight significantly down for a surgery I'm having in about a year. I know running will be a huge help to weight loss but... I'm embarrassed to run while being over weight. I feel like people will laugh at me on the street for being "that fat guy running". Does anyone have advice on how I can get over my anxiety?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Hop in feet first and get moving. Don't care what "other people" are doing or thinking. The only feelings that count are yours. You want to run? Run.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You might consider a treadmill at first while you get comfortable with being a runner.
  • AndyJBacon
    AndyJBacon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was 260 lbs a year ago. Honestly, I wouldn't start with running for weight loss. If you haven't been working out, a 5 minute jog will wipe you out, but not accomplish much in the way of burning calories.
    I started with the elliptical, at 12 minutes, and gradually added time, working my way up to 60 minute workouts. Since it's in the home/gym, there's no judging from strangers. Plus, it burns far more calories than a short run. I hit 199 in Sept, and started running, and my knees thanked me for not doing it earlier. I still had to start at 10 minute runs since it's a different kind of workout, but I did complete my first 5K this year.

TL;DR version: use a longer low impact activity to start, and run later.
  • l_lake
    l_lake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this advice is practical for where you live/plan to go running, but I was also self-conscious when I started so I ran at night. You have to stay alert to traffic and be safe about it. But it helped me to get started knowing that people couldn't get a good look at me.
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    The people on the street are total strangers. Why worry about what total strangers think? Their opinions are completely meaningless. The people who love you will understand what you're trying to do, and they - and YOU - are the only ones who matter. Good luck on your journey, whether you run, walk, or whatever.