I just got a new scale and I'm screwed.

Options
I've been going back and forth between dial scales, doctor's scales, and a Wii balance board to track my weight loss due to frequent travel. I get different numbers from all of these and have wanted to get a digital scale to use consistently. My dial scale at my apartment says I weigh 185 lbs (which is the number I have been using on this site), the Wii says I weigh 193 lbs., and the doctor's scale last week said I weigh 197 lbs. I've been trying to focus on what I lose and not the actual number because of this. My husband just bought me a digital scale and it says I weigh 197.8 lbs. This SUCKS, but this is the scale I want to go by from now on. If I put that weight into MFP however, MFP will say that I have gained weight and I haven't. My dial scale was just jacked up. I know I've lost 10 lbs. How do I deal with fixing these numbers?

Replies

• dointime
    dointime Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was in the same predicament as you at one point (at another time). I had an analog scale, it told me I weighed a certain amount. I tried a friend's scale, it said I weighted considerably more than that. I ended up getting a digital scale at about the same time I had a doctor's appointment, and the new scale and doctor's scale matched up perfectly--at a weight 15 lbs higher than what my analog scale said. I was not a happy camper. What I ended up doing (though it probably won't make you happy, I know I wasn't) is adjusting my starting weight by 15 lbs. After all, the losses I had were real, I just started out at a higher weight than I had thought. Sorry you're in this situation, I know how much it sucks!!! Maybe someone else will have a better solution for you.
  • MrsPike07
    MrsPike07 Posts: 160
    Options
    Funny you posted this. I have been going through the SAME thing! I went from dial to digital and it says I weigh more....I have a hard time using the digital scale now because of this. I have always weighed myself on the dial scale and just made sure it was on zero each time. Maybe thats wrong? I know I have lost 10lbs as well so I guess we do what we see fit? Sucks but what can ya do? :/
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I switched scales. I changed my starting weight to reflect the increase (Subtract analog weight from digital weight and then add that number to your starting weight) and then adjusted my current weight to reflect the digital number. The weight loss ticker showed the same number (I'd still lost the same number of pounds after all).
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I believe you can change the weight you started at. I can't remember how to do it, but I had the same issue when I first started.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Change your starting weight. I think you can go to "tools" then click on the thing for your ticker, on the left hand side there should be a "starting weight, goal weight and current weight" box I believe. I accidentally found it yesterday when I was trying to do something else.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    My doc's scale is alway about 13 pounds more for me than my bathroom scale.

Not for vanity's sake, but for consistency, I use the bathroom scale to track me. I'm in the bathroom way more often than I am at the doctor's office.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Click on the "tools" tab, "weight loss ticker, update weight information" then change it from there. Hope that helps.
  • merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    MOVE YOUR SCALE!!! Seriously....I had the same problem when I switched to my digital scale but then I realized that even moving it to another spot in the bathroom or up or to the side by 1 inch can change my weight by a few pounds! I guess the uneven floor or something? It's worth a shot to check it out :) I put it where it read the lowest and stick with that :laugh:
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    Click on the "tools" tab, "weight loss ticker, update weight information" then change it from there. Hope that helps.

Yes, that worked for me too. Have been having the same issue but didn't know how to fix it. Thanks :)
  • nybor101
    nybor101 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You click on check in under the MY HOME tab. There is a edit previous entries option on that page.