Should I stop doing cardio for abs?

Options
I would really like to get the 6 pack back that I had last year when I ran 3 miles every day. However, I didn't strength train then and had no real muscle on my arms, legs, shoulders, etc. Now, I'm trying to increase my strength training so that I can look stronger as opposed to skinny...or skinny fat. I have some stubborn belly fat--maybe 5 or 10 pounds--that I need to drop, but I'm wondering if doing cardio to drop that will interfere with the strength training that I'm doing. I workout six days a week. Should I still include a day or two of cardio? What would work best so I can drop this weight and get my 6 pack back (aside from very healthy eating, of course)? Thanks for any help!

Edit: I've read about studies that alternating cardio and strength training confuses your body about whether to burn fat or build muscle. Thoughts?

Replies

• GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    You should always do cardio. At least 3 days a week.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You need to combine both!!
    as well as a good diet! The balance is different for everyone you may just need to experiment with your ratio's of how much cardio and how much strengh and weight training you do. I find resistance bands are great for toning also. Good luck
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I do both strength training and cardio... strength training to build lean muscle and cardio to help burn off the fat!
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    you definately need to do both!
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    For sure you need to do cardio to keep a flat tummy, then do ab workouts to add muscle
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bella said it all...she is so right
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you stop cardio, you're likely to add to that belly fat. Eat lots of protein and do lots of belly exercises. Not just the easy going sit ups: they're going to deliver a six pack as big as your legs are from running miles and miles (i.e. strong, but not much visible). Do as few or many sit ups while holding a 10 or 20 kg weight instead.
    just my 2cts worth
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Keep them both! Remember in a fit and healthy person, cardio is more about heart health and over your lifetime you need that!! Alot of folks around here are cardio junkies it is true.....sometimes it stands in the way of great weight loss because like you said, muscles don't get built!!

But, I am a believer in both - cardio is effective for heart health and fat burning 30 ish minutes a day. An hour is okay - just don't leave the body to empty on energy to build the muscles!

Best of Luck!
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I'm still concerned with the idea that you can't burn fat while building muscle. I don't want the cardio to derail the "toning" of my arms, shoulders, legs, etc. Should I be worried?

And as far as heart health goes, I'm not TOO concerned. I just got an EKG done and the doc kept boasting about how wonderfully "textbook" it was. I definitely want to keep it that way, but that's not my main reason for cardio right now.