Cheat days, what are your thoughts?

Options
Hey guys! I hope everyone's fitness journey is going smoothly, especially with the new year coming around the corner

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it is down to whether you can eat some "cheat" food and stay within a calorie deficit for the week. If the answer is no, then you shouldn't do it.
  • kejw08
    kejw08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days because I feel like it would be an excuse for me to binge. I do my best to stay within my calorie goals and some days my best isn't every good. I accept that and move on.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I don't do them, and I'm not fond of them overall. I think it's better to eat in moderation and/or bank calories over the week (or even over a month to prep for a particular festive period) to eat more on certain days. I know it's not true of everyone who practices cheat days, but some people go overboard with the day and wipe out their deficit or develop behaviors close to binge eating. A "cheat" day puts too much of a negative tone around food and eating. There's nothing to cheat about food with tools like MFP around.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the individual.

I'd say I "generally" don't like the idea but the truth is, some people implement them in such a way that the cheat day allows them to adhere to the diet on the non cheat days.

If it works, have at it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I'd say I "generally" don't like the idea but the truth is, some people implement them in such a way that the cheat day allows them to adhere to the diet on the non cheat days.

If it works, have at it.

What he said.

For me, they wouldn't work as I'd eat up my weekly deficit.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

If it works, have at it.

What he said.

For me, they wouldn't work as I'd eat up my weekly deficit.

Yup, and I suspect that's the case for many people.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options

If it works, have at it.

This is how I find it works for me. Eg, my "treat" day is usually Saturday so I decide on Wednesday that I'm doing one of the dishes I love and is a bit naughty, like naan breads with tikka and rice etc. Now, I know this day is coming and that the dish generally contains about 1000 cals depending on size, types of sauce etc. So now on Wednesday I already know I'll probably be over my allowance on Saturday so I put a bit more into my workouts and decide you know what, I'm having Tikka Naan on Saturday so I don't need any garlic bread with my spag bol and right now I saved myself an extra 100 cals. The same on Thursday and Friday, cos mentally i'm thinking about Saturday and cutting calories without feeling the pain cos I'll be getting Tikka Naan on Saturday. So Saturday comes around, I've had my Tikka Naan and I'm feeling all full and satisfied and someone suggests we go get pizza....you know what? Pizza sounds great!! But for next Saturday cos that's my next treat day and because I KNOW it's coming I don't feel I have to go wild and binge THIS Saturday, cos there will be other treat days and hey, that makes this whole diet thing work for me. Then one day it might be someones Birthday and "Treat Day" might be on Friday or Sunday or whenever, but that's ok cos I feel I can enjoy them as part of my life!
  • findingone
    findingone Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used to do cheat days. Now once a week I will have a cheat meal. Not the full day. BUT that cheat meal is about 2 to 4 hours of eating whatever I want. NOT the whole day. But at the start of the journey I needed them for sanity and for the maintaining of persistence for the long haul.

Good luck and you can do it :smile:
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »
    my "treat" day is usually Saturday so I decide on Wednesday that I'm doing one of the dishes I love and is a bit naughty, like naan breads with tikka and rice etc. Now, I know this day is coming and that the dish generally contains about 1000 cals depending on size, types of sauce etc. So now on Wednesday I already know I'll probably be over my allowance on Saturday so I put a bit more into my workouts and decide you know what, I'm having Tikka Naan on Saturday so I don't need any garlic bread with my spag bol and right now I saved myself an extra 100 cals. The same on Thursday and Friday, cos mentally i'm thinking about Saturday and cutting calories without feeling the pain cos I'll be getting Tikka Naan on Saturday.

This sounds very similar to what I do.

I plan my 'cheat meal' (not DAY) way ahead of time. I plan what I'll have. Hmmm... Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers, Shrimp, some Cheetos, honey toast on a roll, slice of chocolate cake, whiskey....

Then I'll buy ONE 160 calorie small snack size bag of cheetos, buy 10 large jumbo shrimp, Portion out 5 Jalapeño poppers, buy a slice of chocolate cake at the bakery, and I'm ready on Thursday. Thursday and Friday eating are great, and usually under calorie, as my brain is thinking about Saturday....

I also skip a 'regular dinner' on Saturday to eat my 1500 calorie 'cheat meal'. Note that it turns out that it's not really a 'cheat' as I probably skip 100 calories each on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and skip a 400 calorie dinner. So I'm forgoing 700 calories or so to have 1,500 calories on my 'cheat'.

And my meal of 'cheating' still has me at or under my recommended calories for the day to maintain.

I think if you're doing this, your diet will work.

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I thinks it's more productive to work some treat foods into your diet throughout the week from time to time. I see a lot of people just completely lose control on cheat days and turn it into an all-out binge-fest. Working ~200 calories of chocolate into your macros from time to time is way better. I think a reason for people going crazy on cheat days is that they think that "this is my one chance to have foods I like for X amount of time. I better get it all in"

Unfortunately, this cycle makes for a lot of frustration as those days set them back in the goals, which leads to guilt.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Personally, treating days as "cheat days" is counterproductive for me. It encourages overeating because it has a "clock strikes 12" vibe to it where diet is suspended for a day and all the rules fly out the window and I could finally breathe. I treat my diet as a continuous things where higher calorie days are just a normal part of the plan whenever needed, and I'm breathing just fine all throughout. High days don't feel any different from my low days apart from being able to eat more. No feelings of "cheating", just being flexible and adaptable.

I feel like this too. I don't call them "cheat" days. I schedule maintenance breaks or days regularly and don't consider those "cheating".

There are a few times during the year where I don't log and really don't care about my consumption, but I never eat like crazy during those times either. Those are during vacations and holidays.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hey guys! I hope everyone's fitness journey is going smoothly, especially with the new year coming around the corner
    Eat what I want when I want for the most part. Some days I indulge more, but they're not planned days.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

If it works, have at it.

This is what I've started doing since I've found that moderating wasn't working for me any more and it's working for me very well. I can hold out for my scheduled maintenance day and mid-week higher calorie day and feel fine on my deficit days.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I do cheat meals, not cheat days. My husband and I rarely get to go to my favorite Japanese restaurant and when we get that opportunity (maybe 3 times a year) I don't pay any attention to calories AT ALL. I have it three times a year and I enjoy every bite.

I also don't weigh food or count calories on holidays. I also don't go overboard. I try to have a bigger deficit throughout the week so that I can "afford" dessert.
  • SideSteel
    Options

If it works, have at it.

This is what I've started doing since I've found that moderating wasn't working for me any more and it's working for me very well. I can hold out for my scheduled maintenance day and mid-week higher calorie day and feel fine on my deficit days.

The beauty of this is that you actually are still moderating, just in a different way :)
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    i dont plan cheat days , times come up in life that it just happens . like this coming weekend Christmas or a Birthday ( Cake ) . thats the nice part of having a 5200 calorie deficit per week for now . if i maintain for the week im happy .

There have been times i just wanted to feel full tho and then i go for a larger meal and eats lots of broc and carrots to fill it out , been working ok so far

good luck
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Personally, treating days as "cheat days" is counterproductive for me. It encourages overeating because it has a "clock strikes 12" vibe to it where diet is suspended for a day and all the rules fly out the window and I could finally breathe. I treat my diet as a continuous things where higher calorie days are just a normal part of the plan whenever needed, and I'm breathing just fine all throughout. High days don't feel any different from my low days apart from being able to eat more. No feelings of "cheating", just being flexible and adaptable.

Exactly
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I don't do whole days off plan (I don't call them "cheat" days... I'm not married to food, therefore I don't have to be "faithful"). I will have an off plan meal from time to time. For me that means high carb food (I eat LCHF). But my off plan meals don't necessarily put me over on calories for the day, just carbs. So I don't even know if that counts as a "cheat". I usually gain 2-3 lbs (water), and it's gone in a few days time.

I suck at cheating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I guess it depends on what a cheat day is...is it a day where you're having something you may not normally have in your diet or is it a eat whatever the hell you want day? If it's the latter, in many cases, this can substantially eat into your weekly deficit or wipe it out completely. People I know who've successfully implemented cheat days still only eat to maintenance...they don't go off the rails.