Target Heart Rate Zone?

Options
OTF recently moved to our area and they push the goal that if you exercise for thirty minutes and at least 18-20 of those minutes are in a certain percentage of your heart rate zone that makes the workout the most beneficial for burning calories/metabolism for the next 36 hours. Any explanation on this topic? Should I figure out what my heart rate zone would be and get it in that zone three days a week working out on my own without joining their program?

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Heart rate zones are great for athletes to work out their optimum but for fat loss there is no "fat burning zone". Weight loss comes from the calorie deficit that you create.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Heart rate for recovery training and HIIT

There is no fat burning zone ..it's rubbish...despite the lovely marketing materials and signage you find in gyms
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have previously written an article about heart rate zones and the Rate of Perceived Exertion test, let me know and i can send it to you.

Essentially, here's the basics:
    • Zone One 65–75% Intensity (220 – the client’s age) x 0.65 or 0.75 This zone builds an aerobic base that is critical for improving heart and lung capacity. This improved capacity affects the body’s ability to store and transport oxygen and nutrients to produce energy. It is used for warmup and recovery.
    • Zone Two 76–85% Intensity (220 – the client’s age) x 0.80 or 0.85 This zone is used to increase anaerobic and aerobic capacity by straddling the energy systems. A client could work on both leg strength and cardiovascular capacity by sustaining this zone for long periods of time.
    • Zone Three 86–90% Intensity (220 – the client’s age) x 0.86 or 0.90 This zone is used only in interval training. It can increase speed, power, metabolism, and anaerobic capacity by repeatedly exposing active muscles to high-intensity exercise, improving resistance to fatigue. A client will be able to sustain a given exercise intensity for a longer period of time, increasing endurance.

Zone 1 is great for warming up, but may be too low in intensity to benefit cardiovascular endurance and maximum calorie burn.
    Zone 2 is the recommended intensity for all exercise including weight lifting, sports, and cardio-respiratory exercise. By staying within the green zone you can be assured that you are burning maximal calories while ensuring exercise can be maintained.
    Zone 3 is only recommended for athletes, more advanced individuals, or those who are training specifically to increase their cardiovascular fitness (VO2 Max). Training in zone three should be done in short and intense intervals only. Some athletes may work in intervals between all three zones to increase oxygen capacity and cardiorespiratory fitness.

That being said, I am not sure the "zone" they recommended for you or why. I doubt it was zone 3 as this is generally only used in short intervals to increase cardiorespiratory fitness and VO2 Max. If it was zone 2 I would probably agree with the recommendation simply because this ensures you're exherting adequate effort WHILE being able to sustain exercise over time. Their claims of after burn and so on I would go ahead and disregard.

As far as the comment on the "fat burning zone", I can go into more detail about that as well if you'd like... i just don't feel like typing it out if you already know how and why it's irrelevant. ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I have previously written an article about heart rate zones and the Rate of Perceived Exertion test, let me know and i can send it to you.

• Zone One 65–75% Intensity (220 – the client’s age) x 0.65 or 0.75 This zone builds an aerobic base that is critical for improving heart and lung capacity. This improved capacity affects the body’s ability to store and transport oxygen and nutrients to produce energy. It is used for warmup and recovery.
    • Zone Two 76–85% Intensity (220 – the client’s age) x 0.80 or 0.85 This zone is used to increase anaerobic and aerobic capacity by straddling the energy systems. A client could work on both leg strength and cardiovascular capacity by sustaining this zone for long periods of time.
    • Zone Three 86–90% Intensity (220 – the client’s age) x 0.86 or 0.90 This zone is used only in interval training. It can increase speed, power, metabolism, and anaerobic capacity by repeatedly exposing active muscles to high-intensity exercise, improving resistance to fatigue. A client will be able to sustain a given exercise intensity for a longer period of time, increasing endurance.

Zone 1 is great for warming up, but may be too low in intensity to benefit cardiovascular endurance and maximum calorie burn.
    Zone 2 is the recommended intensity for all exercise including weight lifting, sports, and cardio-respiratory exercise. By staying within the green zone you can be assured that you are burning maximal calories while ensuring exercise can be maintained.
    Zone 3 is only recommended for athletes, more advanced individuals, or those who are training specifically to increase their cardiovascular fitness (VO2 Max). Training in zone three should be done in short and intense intervals only. Some athletes may work in intervals between all three zones to increase oxygen capacity and cardiorespiratory fitness.

That being said, I am not sure the "zone" they recommended for you or why. I doubt it was zone 3 as this is generally only used in short intervals to increase cardiorespiratory fitness and VO2 Max. If it was zone 2 I would probably agree with the recommendation simply because this ensures you're exherting adequate effort WHILE being able to sustain exercise over time. Their claims of after burn and so on I would go ahead and disregard.

As far as the comment on the "fat burning zone", I can go into more detail about that as well if you'd like... i just don't feel like typing it out if you already know how and why it's irrelevant. ;)

I just can't help feeling that those zones are complete crap

I'm 49

So my target max HR in your zone 3 is well below my zone where I am in a sustained effort but can still talk

E.g. That would say at 0.9 my HR should be 154

But my warm up I work to around 160 for 10 mins ...If I'm uncomfortable I drop effort or intensity (generally around 170d-175 which is technically 100%+) until my HR is back around 160

I think it's far better to ignore formulae that don't really mean much if you can keep up a conversation

I am by no means any kind of athlete and I hate cardio
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I just can't help feeling that those zones are complete crap

I'm 49

So my target max HR in your zone 3 is well below my zone where I am in a sustained effort but can still talk

E.g. That would say at 0.9 my HR should be 154

But my warm up I work to around 160 for 10 mins ...If I'm uncomfortable I drop effort or intensity (generally around 170d-175 which is technically 100%+) until my HR is back around 160

I think it's far better to ignore formulae that don't really mean much if you can keep up a conversation

I am by no means any kind of athlete and I hate cardio

The zones are not crap, but that formula 220-age IS crap. This is why it's only used as a GUIDE to determine your zones and HRMax.

What you can use instead is the RPE scale, I think it's more accurate for someone in your case.

Score Description
    Zone 1
    1 I am sitting down watching TV.
    2 An easy pace that I could sustain all day long.
    3 A comfortable pace, but I notice a little effort.
    4 I am starting to sweat, but effort is relatively easy; I can carry on a comfortable conversation.

Zone 2
    5 It is a little above comfortable, I am sweating more, but can still talk continuously with ease.
    6 The effort is becoming challenging as is my breathing; I now talk in shorter sentences.
    7 I can still talk, but shorter sentences are now becoming challenging.
    8 Exercise is becoming difficult as is speaking; very short sentences and phrases are possible.

Zone 3
    9 Exercise is very difficult; only to speak a few words between breaths.
    10 Exercise is extremely difficult; speaking is impossible.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for hear rate zones that promote weight loss, more intensity is always king. The more effort you put in, the more results you'll get...of course when paired with a caloric deficit. There's some great scientific research showing that true HIIT sessions (all out sprint intervals as hard as you can go for 10-20 seconds a piece for example), are far superior to lower intensity steady state cardio. If you're interested in this subject, let me know and I can direct you to that podcast.