Morning Gym Tips for a Total Sleepyhead

Options

Replies

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I prefer early morning workouts but not exclusively. Sometimes I'm just flat out tired, and as someone else already mentioned, my workouts suffered. Now I'm doing a compromise. Two days a week I wake up at 4:30 and get it done early. Then two days I workout in the evening. I don't let myself make excuses for missing either. Maybe this would work for you.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Amino energy. I get it from Amazon (orange, watermelon, and pineapple are my favorite flavors), and I mix a couple scoops in with my water that I take to the gym, or, if I can't even drag myself there, I start drinking it at home. I just go and go on the treadmill or lifting when I have it.

Another thought, I also used to be bad at starting myself at being active in the morning and it made me lazier the rest of the day. I got a labrador and made morning walks my routine--you don't need to go the whole nine yards and get a dog, but maybe if you find something you like better than the gym (walk, workout videos), that could help. Now, unless it's really cold, I love starting my day walking and am more productive throughout the day after that.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You said before you want to get in AM workouts because things come up in the evenings. I have a few thoughts.

Working out must be a priority. I have turned down or been late to social obligations because I needed to workout. If you want your workout to happen they must be a priority. There are only 24 hours in a day and you must decide how to fill them.

You need to be honest with yourself. The AM workout is a want but are you confident you can complete it? Day after day for the rest of your life?

Here my tips as a morning person (I wake up at 5 AM and sleep in until 7 on weekends):

Get to bed at a decent hour. Most people need 8 hours of sleep. I start winding down around 9, in bed at 9:30 AM. No phones, TV, or computer an hour before bed because the light will keep you awake.

I am sure people will disagree with me but I discourage caffeine. It messes with my sleep cycle, I don't sleep well, need more caffeine the next day and it becomes a vicious cycle.

I also don't believe in New Years Reolutions. If something is important to you, start today.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I convince myself every morning at 5:30 that if i train my butt off someone will give me 1000000 Bucks.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My suggestion is to take a look at your sleep habits and figure out why it is so hard to get up in the first place. Yes, some people peak in their energy in the morning, others it is more in the evening... but if you are having huge struggles waking up it makes me wonder if you are sleep deprived or not consistent in your sleep patterns and might want to make that your first goal to address, before working on the morning workouts. I used to have the same issue as you and while I can't say I'm a morning person, I can do what I once couldn't do to..when my alarm goes off, I wake up and am alert. Usually I don't need the alarm, I just wake up on my own. I used to go through up to an hour of snooze alarms and then rushing around being late, now I have time to sip my coffee and read things on my iPad before getting up to get dressed. In warmer months I run in the morning, but this time of year I move my runs to afternoon when I can. A few tips.

1. Set a fixed bedtime and wake up time and follow it strictly. Get your body and brain in a habit.
    2. Create a "go to bed" routine that helps you stick with the bedtime. I have Fitbit buzz me an hour before bedtime and that's my cue to wind things down and get ready for bed. If you don't have Fitbit you can set a phone alarm. An hour gives me time to figure out what I'm wearing the next day to work, lay out my workout gear so I can just put it on, prepare lunch, dress for bed, brush teeth, etc. Then a little time for quiet activity before lights out, such as reading, meditation, yoga, or prayer.
    3. Make sure you allow enough time between bedtime and wake up to get plenty of sleep. If you are consistently sleep deprived then you will definitely have a hard time waking up and it may also affect your workout quality and workout recovery and increase your appetite and make your brain foggy and make you more vulnerable to illness...all sorts of bad stuff. I started with 8 hours and have figured out that 7.5-8 hours seems about right for me (when I get less, I feel sleep deprived; more feels good but makes it hard to fall asleep the next night) but I need about 8.5 hours of "in bed" time to actually get that amount when you factor in time to fall asleep, waking up in the middle of the night occasionally, and the wake up process.
    4. Create a wake up routine that helps you get out of bed at the fixed time. I have a lamp in my room that is on a timer; it turns on to make the room bright about 15 minutes before wake up. SOOO much easier to get up when it isn't dark in the room. In winter I also have the thermostat set to warm up at that time too...from 68 overnight to 73 before wake up. Easier to throw off the covers and climb out of bed when it is getting unpleasantly warm under them! I have a clock radio ACROSS THE ROOM that turns on first, set to NPR. I like that bc it sometimes engages my attention and helps me come awake. It isn't annoying like a buzzer so won't want to get up and snooze it. Finally, when it is really time to get up, I have a loud obnoxious alarm in the bathroom which is close enough to the bed that I can hear it and be awake and annoyed. I have to get out of bed and go into the bathroom to shut it off. At that point I'm up, so I just do a few things in the bathroom and then go get my coffee and breakfast in the kitchen... the Keurig is set to kick on at wake up time, too. :)

Once you master the staging of a good nights sleep and a refreshed wake up, then putting on the workout clothes you laid out and heading out to exercise should just be a simple decision that a workout is the next thing on your schedule to do that day.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I've been getting up by 5am and working out by 5:30 for over a year now. Best advice I have to say is do it. I was never a morning person before, and always had varying degrees of insomnia (still do some days), so I think in the beginning I used benadryl (actually it was ZzzzQuil) to get to sleep earlier so I could get up. It only took a week or so of taking that to get in the rhythm. Once you get up early and work out you'll find you get tired earlier at night and the cycle will help you become a morning person. I sometimes get out of sync on the weekends because I allow myself to sleep in later before working out but it doesn't take long to get back into the habit. ZzzQuil helps, so does Benadryl (same thing that's in ZzzzQuil). I have allergies so Benadryl is a common drug I take in the evenings anyway, and it always helps make me sleepy. Otherwise there are teas or other herbal supplements that can help make you sleepy as well, but it may just be as simple as forcing yourself to get up early a few days in a row to get your body into the habit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Go to bed earlier first. Reduce your caffeine intake.

I guess the thing here is that you're supposed to find sustainable habits, and if it's that hard to get start, I'm not sure how long it's going to work. You say that your roommate prevents you from going in the evening... why? Does your gym close early or something? I'd just go on the way back from work/school/whatever you do in the day.

Again, it needs to be sustainable. And sleep is extremely important, and making yourself miserable getting up an hour earlier to work out if you end up not getting enough sleep... not necessarily a good trade off.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    cvstokke wrote: »
    @butterfli7o I've seen the 'sleep in your workout clothes' thing before. Do you wear restrictive clothes to work out? I have to wear like a heavy duty sports bra and also wear leggings to avoid chaffing. I've always worried about this being super uncomfortable or (sorry gross tmi) causing infections. Have you found good workarounds or options? Thanks for the idea!

@cvstokke I honestly don't wear anything crazy. T-shirt and shorts, and a comfortable (but good) sports bra. I have my socks already sitting on my shoes. But...I work out in my garage, so I have a little more wiggle room. In your case I would just have everything out and ready to go!
  • cvstokke
    cvstokke Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @beaglebrandon i like the lunchtime idea - it used to be perfect for me! Unfortunately, in my new job, lunchtime is less of an option (though still something I could pursue eventually). I'm starting with a goal of 2 mornings per week and will see how it goes. Happy New Year!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I got a sunrise simulation alarm that gradually lights up. THat helps, especially in the winter. I suppose it has a snooze but it's kind of complicated and I haven't ever figured out how to do that (I know how pitiful that sounds but in 2+ years I haven't ever snoozed). I used to put my old alarm clock across the room.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Im sure its been pointed out many times over but why would you force yourself to go the gym in the morning anyway. Or the gym at all if you hate it. Iv never been to the gym i lose just fine through walking whenever i can and diet. Go at night. Or just add in exercise through your work day.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - as a New Years Resolution (I like them, okay?), I want to start working to become a morning gym person. I fluctuate widely with my evening gym habits. I have all the best intentions, but plans come up and I miss my goals. Becoming a morning gym person would ensure I've already done my workout in case things come up.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM - I am THE WORST at waking up in the morning. I've missed flights. I've been late to work. I can talk myself into ANYTHING at 6:30 AM (yeah, take an Uber this morning, $22 is totally reasonable, you deserve it). What are your best tips for waking up early in general and for becoming a morning gym person specifically?

Thanks in advance!

Set your alarm?

Other than that ... there is nothing anyone can do to make you want to not hit the sleep button but you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone - as a New Years Resolution (I like them, okay?), I want to start working to become a morning gym person. I fluctuate widely with my evening gym habits. I have all the best intentions, but plans come up and I miss my goals. Becoming a morning gym person would ensure I've already done my workout in case things come up.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM - I am THE WORST at waking up in the morning. I've missed flights. I've been late to work. I can talk myself into ANYTHING at 6:30 AM (yeah, take an Uber this morning, $22 is totally reasonable, you deserve it). What are your best tips for waking up early in general and for becoming a morning gym person specifically?

Thanks in advance!

Set your alarm?

Other than that ... there is nothing anyone can do to make you want to not hit the sleep button but you.

Nobody can "want" it for OP, but people who have successfully been able to transition to early AM workouts may have some tips to make it easier to adopt the habit. That's what OP was seeking.
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree - get everything ready the night before. Lunch in fridge ready to grab, things for post gym shower packed work clothes, work bag etc on a hanger or if your car is safe already in car and your gym stuff literally lying on the floor so you can't get out of bed without falling over it! Then wake, drink of water, quick tooth brush , into gym stuff and go - shower night before and again at gym. Sounds a lot but I keep most of it packed and you just need a routine. I think you might to better just thinking you'll do am gym for a week, then another week etc breaking it into small goals It is a great feeling having a coffee at 8.30am knowing you are all excercised for the day and anything extra is a bonus! Good luck
  • cvstokke
    cvstokke Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll OMG THANK YOU!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Quick update for anyone that cares :smile:

Today was my first morning gym of the year! I went to a 45 min barre class and made it to work on time. For the first month, I'm aiming for 3-5 total gym days per week with 2 of those being mornings. Eventually, my goal is 5 mornings per week. I don't feel great, but need to get better at sleeping earlier.

A few things that you suggested that helped:
    - Sleep app (sleep cycle) wakes me up at the lightest part of my sleep
    - Laying clothes out the night before
    - Turning a light on immediately when I wake up (I got one for by my bed)

I'll update again with hopefully positive results!

Woo hoo! Way to go! :)
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Quick update for anyone that cares :smile:

Today was my first morning gym of the year! I went to a 45 min barre class and made it to work on time. For the first month, I'm aiming for 3-5 total gym days per week with 2 of those being mornings. Eventually, my goal is 5 mornings per week. I don't feel great, but need to get better at sleeping earlier.

A few things that you suggested that helped:
    - Sleep app (sleep cycle) wakes me up at the lightest part of my sleep
    - Laying clothes out the night before
    - Turning a light on immediately when I wake up (I got one for by my bed)

I'll update again with hopefully positive results!

Awesome nice work! Keep us updated :)