Exhausted When I Strength Train

Options

Replies

• mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Also, thank you so much guys for giving me a reality check. I tend to push things too far and be an extremist, that's how I gained weight in the first place. I'm trying hard to learn moderation. Thanks for helping me see I was overtraining.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    OP just curious what you are doing for cardio, you never really said. How high intensity is it?
  • mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    @TresaAswegan
    I do the elliptical at about 130 strides/min or go for really long walks around my neighborhood. I think the problem is that some days I would do 45 min of cardio in the morning then 45 min of weight lifting in the evening, and I'd do cardio almost every day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - ideally you would strength train M W F and then mix in cardio on T Th Sat and take Sunday as 100% rest day ...

I would agree with this style of alternate days of strength and cardio.

Doing a high volume of exercise isn't easy in a calorie deficit and when you are struggling it's normally recommended to reduce the volume but try and keep the intensity up. Quality not quantity!

Question OP - as you are following a program what does Brad Schoenfeld say about fitting in cardio?
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    At 5'6 and 148, I would think that a recomp would be better than trying to "lose weight." There's a pretty thorough thread on the forums explaining recomp.
  • andrelittle2323
    andrelittle2323 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I assume you do too much cardio while lifting is secondary. Switch it around, lifting and gaining muscle will burn off fat naturally the more muscle you gain.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I admire your tenacity. You are getting great advice here.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    mila_lova wrote: »
    @TresaAswegan
    I do the elliptical at about 130 strides/min or go for really long walks around my neighborhood. I think the problem is that some days I would do 45 min of cardio in the morning then 45 min of weight lifting in the evening, and I'd do cardio almost every day.

Walking is low intensity, easy to recover from. Actually can aid in recovery from lifting. I've found that the elliptical is also pretty easy recovery wise (for me anyway) because it is low impact.
    There is nothing wrong with a walk in the AM and lifting in the PM, or even two walks a day.
    If anyone is familiar with Eat To Perform, they actually encourage people to do lots of LISS cardio and get their step counts up so they can eat more.
    With your lifting schedule and the moderate nature of your cardio, I still don't believe this is over training. You'd have to do a TON of walking to be "over training" from walking....
    That being said, like I mentioned above, certainly rest is you aren't feeling well. But I don't think you're over exerting yourself so much that you need to worry. If you like taking walks, take walks.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    @TresaAswegan

Walking is low intensity, easy to recover from. Actually can aid in recovery from lifting. I've found that the elliptical is also pretty easy recovery wise (for me anyway) because it is low impact.
    There is nothing wrong with a walk in the AM and lifting in the PM, or even two walks a day.
    If anyone is familiar with Eat To Perform, they actually encourage people to do lots of LISS cardio and get their step counts up so they can eat more.
    With your lifting schedule and the moderate nature of your cardio, I still don't believe this is over training. You'd have to do a TON of walking to be "over training" from walking....
    That being said, like I mentioned above, certainly rest is you aren't feeling well. But I don't think you're over exerting yourself so much that you need to worry. If you like taking walks, take walks.

This is my philosophy as well. It takes minimal effort to walk, can be made to fit your schedule and can be really fun if you enjoy the outdoors.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    @TresaAswegan

This is my philosophy as well. It takes minimal effort to walk, can be made to fit your schedule and can be really fun if you enjoy the outdoors.

Agreed. I have to walk a lot to keep my joints limber. It had never affected my recovery.

Running is a different story.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Walking more has done more for raising my TDEE and my endurance than more intense cardio. It's good for my mind and for my dog's happiness, too :)
  • serapel
    Options
    @TresaAswegan

but isn't her body talking to her? why is she so tired? I always listen to my body when it's trying to tell me something is not right.

tired is a very good sign of overtraining or a medical issue.

• serapel
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Walking more has done more for raising my TDEE and my endurance than more intense cardio. It's good for my mind and for my dog's happiness, too :)

me too...love walking. wish I did it more often. I'm always scurrying around with work and the kids that I don't get a chance to go for a nice relaxing walk.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    @TresaAswegan

but isn't her body talking to her? why is she so tired? I always listen to my body when it's trying to tell me something is not right.

Tired plus that "dazed" feeling the OP mentioned. That, for me, is a dead give away I'm over training. I'm just coming out a forced 2 day rest period, no exercise at all, due to that. I feel worlds better and the dazed feeling is gone, so I started out light this morning and will be more careful..

Making myself train is easy - Making myself get the necessary recovery time....I can get really stupid with that lol.
  • serapel
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    Tired plus that "dazed" feeling the OP mentioned. That, for me, is a dead give away I'm over training. I'm just coming out a forced 2 day rest period, no exercise at all, due to that. I feel worlds better and the dazed feeling is gone, so I started out light this morning and will be more careful..

Making myself train is easy - Making myself get the necessary recovery time....I can get really stupid with that lol.

Pregnancy also makes you feel like that in the beginning. Dazed and tired.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

Pregnancy also makes you feel like that in the beginning. Dazed and tired.

I don't...have the right anatomy for that lol. OP could though - I honestly didn't know if the guy or gal in the OPs avatar is the OP..
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    @TresaAswegan

I suggested rest regardless, and possibility of illness. It's also a busy time of year with the holidays and what not, stress also takes a toll on people.
    I just find it really, really hard to believe that 3 days of lifting and daily walking is going to lead to over training.
    Walking and lifting in two different sessions, or walking twice a day is NOT over training. We're built to walk.
    If she was walking all day long, maybe that would be too much. If she is going from sitting all day long to daily or twice daily walks/elliptical, maybe this is too much too soon. But there's no reason for most people to be concerned that a daily walk is going to be detrimental..
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    @TresaAswegan

Yes, I agree OP is overdoing it. I think her plan to cut back on training and especially the cardio, is good.
    I suggested walking as a way to get cardio done but more gently.
    The body needs to repair itself and that rest time is key. Also, adequate nutrition.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    @TresaAswegan

Yes, I agree OP is overdoing it. I think her plan to cut back on training and especially the cardio, is good.
    I suggested walking as a way to get cardio done but more gently.
    The body needs to repair itself and that rest time is key. Also, adequate nutrition.

It sounds like a good part of her current cardio is walking already.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Ah, I missed that comment. OP, let us know how you feel after changing your routine. See a doctor if rest doesn't help. 'Tis the season for all kinds of colds & the flu.