Anyone got to the in 5 week weight mentioned while completing dairy?

Options

Replies

• kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for about 5 1/2 months (171 days), and I can say with confidence that the "In 5 weeks weight" is always lower than it actually ends up being. It was extra low when I was logging exercise on MFP. Now with Fitbit it's a bit more reasonable, but still too low. I lose about 2 pounds a week, so I would expect to see a number 10 lbs less than my current weight. If I exercise, it can be as low as 20 pounds less.
  • BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe
    Options
    I have been at this for about 5 1/2 months (171 days), and I can say with confidence that the "In 5 weeks weight" is always lower than it actually ends up being. It was extra low when I was logging exercise on MFP. Now with Fitbit it's a bit more reasonable, but still too low. I lose about 2 pounds a week, so I would expect to see a number 10 lbs less than my current weight. If I exercise, it can be as low as 20 pounds less.

You mean you end up losing more weight than what the app says you will in 5 weeks?

• kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    Options

You mean you end up losing more weight than what the app says you will in 5 weeks?

No, the opposite. It overestimates exercise calories.
    Options

No, the opposite. It overestimates exercise calories.

Thanks for the reply. :)
  • provon
    provon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Me too. It is such a tease but really overly optimistic. Wish it was reality
  • hmenuey
    hmenuey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've always met the 5 week goal if i was doing what I was supposed to be doing.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    hmenuey wrote: »
    I've always met the 5 week goal if i was doing what I was supposed to be doing.

same. it projects exactly what my loss should be if I stick to my calorie deficit for 5 weeks. I aim to lose around 1.5 a week and that's what it says.
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Mine's pretty accurate too if I don't cheat
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Thanks

Understand that it's a very simple algorithm that presumes that every single day will be exactly 100% the same as the today...like you're going to move exactly the same and eat exactly the same, etc...not generally going to be the case for most people. It also assumes that weight loss is a linear function, and it's not. It's basically a gimmicky projection that oversimplifies the process.

That said, when I was losing weight and doing what I was supposed to be doing and being as accurate as possible and consistent, it was reasonably close...and as a trend over time (not every single week) I lost at my expected rate as average.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I tend to be nowhere near my calorie goal day to day. I'm either a few hundred over or under, since the average is what really matters, so my in five weeks numbers are more of a source of entertainment. I'll either be maintaining or losing twenty pounds in the next five weeks.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I tend to be nowhere near my calorie goal day to day. I'm either a few hundred over or under, since the average is what really matters, so my in five weeks numbers are more of a source of entertainment. I'll either be maintaining or losing twenty pounds in the next five weeks.

Ditto.

I looked back 5 weeks ago today and the number is humorous. Then I looked at that day and realized it was a day I didn't eat much as I overdid the day before.

I'm not consistent enough in my exercise (intentionally) for it to work.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Even when I stuck to my target I never reached it. It was nice to see the low numbers projected though.
    Options
    Thanks for replying everyone.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I REALLY wish they would change the algorithm to weekly-- it would be far more useful.

i used to enjoy that number - i don't log anymore because i got too bored with it. but i think one week would have given me more headaches, because of the way my weight naturally fluctuates for other reasons. five weeks is enough time for a general trend to appear, imo.

best would be if you could pick the time frame for your projection. but i assume it's a very linear kind of algorithm and weight loss hasn't been especially linear in my life so it would still just be a mind-candy number to me.

• Snicolej
    Snicolej Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    All the time ! I usally hit it in about four week and then I but the next one in my calendar on my phone !
  • SalvationMountain41
    Options

bkbirge wrote: »
    Haha, that 5 week goal is like the trial of Sisyphus, always *just* out of reach. I view it as a brief glimpse into some alternate reality wonderland where I'm also rich and my job consists of hanging out with supermodels while they tell me how awesome I am inside my penthouse suite on the moon.
    vzcbw6s2uu4n.jpg

I nearly spit out my night coffee reading this. Dying.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Mine was always typically pretty accurate for me. I aim to lose 0.5-1lb/week and that's what it projects.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!