Carb cycling

Options
I'm thinking about starting carb cycling in the new year...need advice. How do I figure out how much protien/carbs I need per day for low carb and high carb days?

Replies

• AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    What I'd say is do your research properly and then explore what works for your body.
    I carb cycle leading up to events - on-loading and offloading.

For week-to-week usefulness though - I find it's sometimes counter productive.

Have a play with your carb consumption and see what work and what puts you at your optimal.

What are your aims with it?
    What's the rational behind it for you?
  • mahia_20
    mahia_20 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I want to try it for about a month for leaner more toned look. I've been weight training for 2 years and would like to reduce body fat (currently at 18%).
  • AdamAthletic
    edited December 2016
    Options
    mahia_20 wrote: »
    I want to try it for about a month for leaner more toned look. I've been weight training for 2 years and would like to reduce body fat (currently at 18%).

I'm thinking you may be misunderstanding the actual benefits to carb cycling - which is fine, it's normal. It's a very misunderstood subject.
    What you're essentially doing is playing with the levels of glycogen in your system, particularly useful for maximising the storage capacity leading up to an event that needs an extended release of glycogen - such as marathons or endurance competitions.

As for carb cycling for body composition - I'm yet to see a study that proves is particularly effective(other than standard cycling that just about everybody into body modding does - varying consumption of macros over time).
    What your essentially speaking of doing is a varied ketonic state, when you're in low carb and then going back to 'normal'.

I'm just trying to see where the benefit will be for you - I'm all for trying things if they're safe and will help but, I'm really not convinced it will.

Your call in the end but definitely do your research!
  • mahia_20
    Options
    Anything I have read so far states that carb cycling is very useful in weight loss plateaus, which is exactly what I'm looking for...
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Have you been counting macros for a while already?
    If not I would suggest you start there- with one set of macro numbers, and get comfortable/consistent with that before you try to have multiple sets of numbers to try to hit.
  • mahia_20
    Options
    I haven't been tracking exact numbers but have maintained a relatively low carb diet on a daily basis, just want to try something new and hopefully more effective
  • AdamAthletic
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Anything I have read so far states that carb cycling is very useful in weight loss plateaus, which is exactly what I'm looking for...

At the end of the day you have to decide if you believe in actual science or 'broscience'.
    I work from actual science with the things I do and I always recommend people find articles from reputable sources because there is a LOT of misinformation on the internet!

All the best with whatever you do either way!
    Always good to try new things and see what works for you - just be open to people's views and opinions in the process of forming your own opinion.

Sometimes it's harder to read/hear what we need to hear instead of what we want to hear.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

If you're in an extended plateau you probably just lost enough weight to now be at maintenance. Cut a few more calories or get more time in at the gym and you'll keep losing.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I haven't been tracking exact numbers but have maintained a relatively low carb diet on a daily basis, just want to try something new and hopefully more effective

I would suggest that you address the bold part first as that's highly likely to be the culprit rather than the distribution of carbohydrate day to day.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I would suggest that you address the bold part first as that's highly likely to be the culprit rather than the distribution of carbohydrate day to day.

Carb cycling is not magic. Your overall calorie intake will dictate your weight changes.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Just google "carb cycling for beginners" and you should be able to find something to read.

I tried it...for about 2 weeks. I found it to be a pain in the rear. It wasn't for me. I didn't like the way it made me feel nor did I like trying to keep up with what day it was...high carb or low carb...eat this but not that.

If you try it...hope that you like it and it works for you.
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi - you can always google Chris and Heidi Powell - they are big proponents of carb cycling. Good Luck!
  • mahia_20
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful advice, I know it will be difficult as I have 2 young kids and work 12 hrs but worth a try. BTW not looking for "magic", just looking to focus on diet changes.
  • scvb13
    scvb13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Check Chris and Heidi Powell's website and books for Carb Cycling..for those that are not believers please watch a few episodes of Extreme Transformation, carb cycling is very effective for their clients.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    scvb13 wrote: »
    Check Chris and Heidi Powell's website and books for Carb Cycling..for those that are not believers please watch a few episodes of Extreme Transformation, carb cycling is very effective for their clients.

Carb cycling can be a very effective tool for many people, no different than other clients, but outside of improving compliance for some, its not magic. Having said that Mike Matthews also has some good information on it. But it wont increase fat loss if calories are equal.

https://www.muscleforlife.com/the-definitive-guide-to-carb-cycling/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling is for pro athletes / bodybuilders / physique competitor short term training regimen that has been adopted as a point of difference marketing tool by people who make money out of packaging up miracles for weight loss

Also 18% body fat on a woman is already in the "underfat" territory

Maybe you need to look at body recomposition through progressive resistance if you are still unhappy with your physicality

Good luck
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Carb cycling is for pro athletes / bodybuilders / physique competitor short term training regimen that has been adopted as a point of difference marketing tool by people who make money out of packaging up miracles for weight loss

Maybe you need to look at body recomposition through progressive resistance if you are still unhappy with your physicality

Good luck

Women dont have issues until under 14%. 18% is considered to be athletic.
  • mahia_20
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Good luck

• mahia_20
    Options
    Thank you! I'm NOT underweight in the least
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Good luck

This is the second time I've seen you posting similar to this @psuLemon

Having issues and being under what the WHO consider ideal / healthy is different. 18% is considered underfat.

Why are you suddenly promoting women being close to essential BF, it doesn't ring true with most of your, far more sensible, posts so it makes me feel like I'm missing something ...some crucial piece of research that negates the 21-33% staggered by age healthy BF levels I've seen across the board