Feeling Like A Failure - 345lbs

Options
courtneyallisonatx
courtneyallisonatx Posts: 133 Member
edited December 2016 in Getting Started
I stepped on the scale this morning and almost had an emotional breakdown. 345lbs. I have never been this heavy in my life.
Things have been difficult lately for me - walking, reaching, steps, putting a tampon in, breathing. I want to lose weight for myself, to feel comfortable in my own skin, to not want to die everytime I walk up the stairs, and have sex with my fiance without cramping. I can use all the help I can get, I don't even know where to start. My Fiance and I see a trainer twice a week to workout, but it just proves how important food actually is. Add me.

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    It is easy to feel like a failure...all you have to do is either never try or give up when it gets hard.

To be successful is hard...it means work...determination...persistence...and maybe the hardest of all is to forgive yourself when you are not perfect.

I know...I have been there myself...more than once.

What I have learned is that I am successful when I keep trying...even after setbacks.

I do small goals at a time...5lbs at a time...no matter how long that takes me. Adding distance and or time to my walks. Adding even just a couple of pounds to my weights or being able to do a few more reps.

I also had to learn to love myself as I am before I could even begin to want to improve myself...become healthier...become more active.

Have you failed at this point??? I don't know...you are here asking for help...you are seeing a trainer...just doesn't sound as if you have completely given up. What you do from this point on is up to you...do you want to fail or do you want to succeed?

My last bit of advice...Before you can succeed you have to rid yourself of the idea that you have already failed.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    The only failure is failure to continue. If you have an off day, just accept it and move on. Don't look back at the past, live in the moment and consider the future. Set reasonable goals (start with a max of 1 lb per week and adjust after a month.) Log everything and don't deny yourself treats that you like, budget them in. Eat half the calories you burn exercising and keep on keeping on.

This is not a plan to deny yourself happiness. This is a pure case of tortoise and the hare, the tortoise always wins. Get to a healthy weight but don't set a number by X day. Realize that weight loss is not a linear progression but is a factor of averages.

• Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request. And really I agree so much with being gentle on yourself. Start small, weigh your food, and log consistently. We all started this journey somewhere. Make a promise to yourself. Whenever I feel like grabbing for extra food that isn't within my calorie goals I have to force myself to stop and think--what do I want more, these cookies/chips/pizza/bagels/mashed potatoes/etc or to feel comfortable in my own skin? Would I rather have this VERY temporary enjoyment or would I rather have new clothing? The journey is a series of small decisions that add up to BIG results!

XO
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    While I agree with not beating yourself up. However...for me...how I got to be obese and out of shape...I think I was TOO kind and gentle on myself.

I find handing out some tough love to myself does more for me. It gets me back on track...makes me take a hard look at my failures and try to figure out why I failed.

I am prone to rationalizing not eating properly or not exercising when I am being too gentle with myself. I can always find an excuse or a reason to say...this is just too hard today.

OP...I am not trying to be nasty...I just think that sometimes we need to be honest with ourselves. Do you feel as if you are a failure because you are feeling sorry for yourself??? Or it is just too hard???

Believe me...I have been where you are. Right now...I am being really hard on myself. I need to be or I will look for every reason to give up. I can find so many reasons to eat too much and to not exercise...I lose sight at times mainly because in the short run...it is too easy to feel sorry for myself.

OP...this post in reality is maybe more for myself than for you so please accept my apology if I have offended you. It is just that I am old and don't have that many more years to get it right. I just don't want to see some young person give up that has their whole life still ahead of them. I want to see you young people live a happy and healthy life that you deserve.

• Wagners7
    Wagners7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Reading through all of the responses I agree with everyone. Give yourself the credit that you have identified the issue and you are working towards it. We are all going to have good days and bad, just don't give up and let the bad outnumber the good. The key is to always be honest with yourself, log your food and exercise and revisit it often to see where you can improve. Best of luck!
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale this morning and almost had an emotional breakdown. 345lbs. I have never been this heavy in my life.
    Things have been difficult lately for me - walking, reaching, steps, putting a tampon in, breathing. I want to lose weight for myself, to feel comfortable in my own skin, to not want to die everytime I walk up the stairs, and have sex with my fiance without cramping. I can use all the help I can get, I don't even know where to start. My Fiance and I see a trainer twice a week to workout, but it just proves how important food actually is. Add me.

You can do it! It's so much simpler than our minds make it out to be. 100% is diet and exercise is a bonus. Find you TDEE and eat less than that! YOU CAN AND YOU WILL DO IT if you focus on WHY you are doing it and keep it simple!
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I spent the first two weeks on MFP simply logging all my current foods honestly and completely, as well as learning how to weigh and measure everything accurately. Didn't make any changes to my diet - I just wanted to get a handle on how much I was *really* consuming in an average week.

The results of that were eye-opening. ;)

Oh my god, THIS!! My first day on MFP, I was like "but i only eat about 1200 a day." then I added it all up one day accurately and dear god, I was eating 4000cal in one meal! and I tell you, that shocked me!
    Stay focused, consistent and motivated. Create good habits. Stay busy, keep your mind active (don't sit in front of the tv or play on your computer/phone) and you find that your mind isn't on food.

I have to agree with this too. Make exercise a hobby, not a chore and if you can't do that, find something else to focus on so you're not sitting there dreading the exercise. it's amazing how quick it becomes a part of your daily routine. Brush teeth, brush hair, 10 mins of exercise, put on make-up. Soon you won't even think about it.
    Earlier this week I was looking at buying seatbelt extenders because my boyfriend owns a tiny car and the seatbelts are getting too small, I had this moment of "wait, instead of being uncomfortable enough to change it i'm trying to just find a way around getting fatter" I immediately exed out of the page.

wooo, go you!! you can do this and in a year you'll love yourself for starting today!!
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Don't make it any more complicated than it already is. Start making small changes to your daily habits. Before you know it, those changes become good habits, and you're on your way! Stay away from overly processed foods, eat a balance of carbs, fats, and protein, and do your best to move every day. As much as you can, and build from there. Start logging here on MFP, and be honest about what you log. Finally, find some people who are in the same situation as you (here on the site), as well as people who have walked the same path as you and have succeeded. Don't get too high after success, nor too low after failure (and yes, you will have failures). Most important, don't try to do this for anyone else but you. You're worth the effort. Feel free to check out my profile and send a friend request if you'd like. God bless you on your journey.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Such a beautiful woman! You've gotten lots of good advice. Just don't try to change everything overnight or aim for too steep of a deficit. You did mention issues with food- I don't know if you meant this in the general sense like we all have, or something more specific, but if you come to find something is holding you back, don't be afraid to seek extra help.
    This isn't going to be a short-term project, but there will be lots of benefits along the way, so make a point of enjoying every one. :)
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    I cant add much to all the great advice given so far but I will say, take it slow and take it easy, none of us gained weight over night and it's going to take a while to get rid of it again. Settle in and try to enjoy the journey. Don't try and do everything at once, one poster mentions just logging every thing for the first week or so before you develop a plan, great idea, start by getting a grip on what you have going on right now and then work out how you can start changing things.
    From my experience; what you are doing is changing your lifestyle for the positive, it may not always 'feel' like it but it really is, I lost around 90lbs and feel better than I ever have. Do things in moderation, don't deprive yourself as that will just create intense cravings down the line, just be more in control of what you have, frequency and how much. When you can, exercise (water fitness is great to lessen joint problems and other issues), it helps both the body and mind in great ways.
    I found that educating myself was a big catalyst to my success as I got further along, watch and read shows and books on nutrition and sugars, there are lots of great documentaries about what processed foods are doing to us, how sugar is killing us and so on, every once in a while take in something like this to help you improve on what you are doing. You can do this, I have had other friends who have lost in the 200lb range and so much happier for it, but none of them will ever say it was all easy, sometimes it really takes work and determination. All the best!