Calling all women who are 5'9

Options

Replies

• cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    What is your goal weight? My goal weight is 130 pounds. My current weight is 216 pounds.

I'm 5'9 my goal weight is 74 kg (according to charts). The lowest I've been is 88 kg and I think I would be pretty gaunt at 74. I think 60 kg (or 130 lb) would be way too hard to achieve. I'm aiming for 85 kg but would like to be 79 (just coz it sounds good).
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", thinner frame, stay between 135-140 now because more muscle mass, that's about 35-29-37 in inches.

I do look good at 130, still look good at 125, because my build is narrow. But I FEEL good around 135, and when I work out enough to build up more muscle, 140 can look and feel amazing.

Agree with the consensus, don't arbitrarily pick some number. Just lose and see how you feel and look - you may look very good at a higher weight than you think.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I'd be very close to hospitalisation at 130lb.

There are some lean bean types who it suits, but I think they are very much in the minority. Or teenagers who haven't yet got a fully adult body, even if they are adult height.

Ya, I'm 5'6" and my family would do an intervention if I were getting anywhere near the 130s.

I have a large frame http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp and the only time I've had a BMI as low as 24 was after 6 weeks of undereating and overexercising during boot camp.

My goal is to get back into my skinny jeans from when I was a full time yoga teacher, which will have me at a Low Overweight BMI, and I'm ok with that.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'9" as well - currently 248.2, shooting for 159.
  • TMK0214
    TMK0214 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and my goal weight is 170
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    samprato22 wrote: »
    I am 5'11 goal weight 132/134

Wow, that is very, very lean. Are you a runner?
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What is your goal weight? My goal weight is 130 pounds. My current weight is 216 pounds.

I'm 5'8 but few centimeters short of 5'9 I'm 189 my goal is to get down to 140-150. At 130 I looked malnourished.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    5'9" and goal weight was 135 but I didn't mind my body at 150.
    I accidently gained 10 pounds so I'm trying to lose those 10 pounds in the next 20 weeks.
    The highest I ever was 220 but I was 9 months pregnant with a 10 pound baby boy at that point.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    5'9, with a goal weight of 165 then evaluate. Currently not unhappy at 177.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and have been at my goal weight of 145 for a year now :) Very happy with how (relatively) easy maintenance has been. I bounce up a few pounds, and made a promise to myself never to go above 150. When I get at or close to that weight, I pay close attention to what I eating/drinking and drop back down.
  • jodylynn007
    jodylynn007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great post ladies!! I am almost 5'10" and I'd say my goal/ideal weight is anything in the high 160's (that's my comfort zone). I think I was over 200 lbs when I was pregnant but I think I've blocked that from my memory (that was 7 years ago, today is actually my daughter's birthday LOL), but I am currently sitting at around 185 and I really want it to dip into the early 170's soon into the New Year and stay there.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 128-130 and definitely don't need or look like I need hospitalization in my opinion :/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I'm 5'9" and 128-130 and definitely don't need or look like I need hospitalization in my opinion :/

What’s your frame size? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp

I can tell your shoulders are a lot less wide than mine for our relative heights.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" - down to 185 from a high of 284. I am thinking around 160 and we'll see how I look. I am close to happy with everything except my lower belly pooch which is still hanging around!
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Which is fine, and if you were to gain weight, and then try to lose it, you'd know that you had been healthy at 130, and that it was an appropriate weight to aim for.

If someone has a BMI over 30, aiming for a BMI of 19 seems overly stressful, and, in all likelihood, inappropriate and liable to fail, unless she has a good reason to think that is a healthy weight for her.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What’s your frame size? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp

I can tell your shoulders are a lot less wide than mine for our relative heights.

Small, definitely small. I can't carry extra weight well to save my life.

Which is fine, and if you were to gain weight, and then try to lose it, you'd know that you had been healthy at 130, and that it was an appropriate weight to aim for.

If someone has a BMI over 30, aiming for a BMI of 19 seems overly stressful, and, in all likelihood, inappropriate and liable to fail, unless she has a good reason to think that is a healthy weight for her.

I was more responding to the posters who out and out said hospitalization not the OP, I should've clarified sorry!
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I was one of those! I was talking from my perspective of having amenorrhea and faintiness at a higher BMI than that (20-21)

I wasn't trying to imply that would be the case for all or most women at a BMI of 19, simply that such a low weight is not a reasonable primary goal for the majority of overweight women.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    A bit shorter at 5-7", currently 150 and holding at maintenance. Lowest was 144, might shoot for 130 very slowly next year.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    I was one of those! I was talking from my perspective of having amenorrhea and faintiness at a higher BMI than that (20-21)

I wasn't trying to imply that would be the case for all or most women at a BMI of 19, simply that such a low weight is not a reasonable primary goal for the majority of overweight women.

Thanks for clarifying, I read into your comment incorrectly then and I apologize. I do absolutely believe that weight goals should be individual to our circumstances and bodies :)