Nutella on Keto?

Options
So I usually prep my meals for the whole week, but I've been super busy (and lazy) this week so I just cooked every day, which gives me the opportunity to snack every now and then, which I do track. I had 15g of Nutella and it says on the jar that it's 8 carbs. So I should be okay right? I'm still under my carb count for today.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It depends on your activity level and insulin resistance. For some, 8g of carbs in one sitting could affect blood glucose enough to affect ketosis, but it won't know you out of ketosis for long.

I would get rid of the nutella if it has added sugar. A jr of almond or peanut butter may be a better bet for a ketogenic diet.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Nutella has 21grams of sugar per serving. I wouldn't classify this a Keto at all.
  • TMK0214
    TMK0214 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    greentart wrote: »
    Nutella has 21grams of sugar per serving. I wouldn't classify this a Keto at all.

It has 8,4g of sugar per serving. At least that's what it says on the German jar. The one from the states might be different, because I know it tastes different.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    TMK0214 wrote: »

It has 8,4g of sugar per serving. At least that's what it says on the German jar. The one from the states might be different, because I know it tastes different.

Yeah i think the numbers differ in countries. I'm in Australia and the nutella here has 8.6g of sugar per 20g serving.
  • TMK0214
    Options

Yeah i think the numbers differ in countries. I'm in Australia and the nutella here has 8.6g of sugar per 20g serving.

Sometimes it really gets on my nerves, the Cinnamon Toast Crunch over here barely has any sugar in it lol, in the states it tastes all sweet and sugary
  • TMK0214
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Sometimes it really gets on my nerves, the Cinnamon Toast Crunch over here barely has any sugar in it lol, in the states it tastes all sweet and sugary
    They even add sugar to McDonalds french fries here. As a flavor enhancer. Serious.

I've heard that before lol that's so crazy. It tastes awesome though! Haha
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you don't need to watch your blood sugar, then the 8g of carbs in the Nutella you had should be OK. If you take a look at my diary, I am keto and I had about 9g of carbs in my lunch alone and it's perfectly fine.

I'm of the 'if it fits your carb limit, then go ahead and eat it' variety though. I eat high fat to help with appetite control and keep at a calorie deficit, I don't have any metabolic problems. Someone with diabetes may not fare as well.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    And you may as well go all out and mix your nutella with peanut butter :blush:
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Having been keto for 4 years I would avoid anything like that. Almost 50% carbs is too much. I tend to look for things that are less than 5g carbs per 100g.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Replace the Nutella with hazelnut butter. Nutella's signature taste is the combination of chocolate with hazelnuts...you will be pleasantly surprised how tasty hazelnut butter is.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Replace the Nutella with hazelnut butter. Nutella's signature taste is the combination of chocolate with hazelnuts...you will be pleasantly surprised how tasty hazelnut butter is.

I love Justin's hazelnut butter... although it does have some chocolate too.

Tasted like crap in crepes though, so I'll stick to nutella for that... but it's great on toast or pancakes.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    This post makes me thankful that I don't like Nutella. But put a jar of Jif Whipped peanut butter in front of me and it's a goner.