How many calories did you eat to lose weight?

How many calories did you eat to lose weight?

Replies

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    1700 a day.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Ditto. 1700
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm all over the place i total between 1600-2000 calories. I'm losing .4lbs a week, with only a few more to go! I leave a fair few exercise calories on the table though.
  • newstart1988
    newstart1988 Posts: 154 Member
    What am I doing wrong? If I eat 1700+ calories I gain weight. If I eat 1200 to 1500 calories I barely lose any weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    When I was losing I averaged 1650-1800 cals for 0.5lb per week. I'm 5 ft 2 and active.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    My TDEE is variable from day to day, but averages around 1850. When I go back to deficit, I'll eat around 1550, shooting for half a pound a week loss, with a little wiggle room for error.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited December 2016
    What am I doing wrong? If I eat 1700+ calories I gain weight. If I eat 1200 to 1500 calories I barely lose any weight.

The daily calorie goal for weight loss differs from person to person because it's based on age, weight, height, activity level, etc.

Do you own a food scale and are you logging all of your food accurately?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

I'd pay attention to your logging. How confident are you in your accuracy? Do you exercise, do you eat those calories back?

• newstart1988

The daily calorie goal for weight loss differs from person to person based on age, weight, height, activity level, etc.

At the time I was using a good scale but I haven't used it in a while
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

Calorie requirements are dependent on your stats (age, height, weight, etc) as well as your activity...the more active an individual is, the more energy they expend...thus they have higher energy (calorie) requirements. Its not of much benefit to just ask what other people are consuming or did consume while losing weight...I can tell you I ate around 2,300 to lose about a Lb per week, but that would be completely irrelevant to you.

How long have you been eating at different calorie levels...consistency is really the key...most people have issues because they aren't consistent and/or aren't consistent over a long enough time and just jump all over the place.
  • amanda_deanne
    amanda_deanne Posts: 38 Member
    I eat between 1600-1700 to lose. Anything lower just isn't enough for my body. With that said, I am fairly tall and quite active. It all depends on your height, weight and activity level. My TDEE is between 2000-2200 daily.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited December 2016

The daily calorie goal for weight loss differs from person to person based on age, weight, height, activity level, etc.

At the time I was using a good scale but I haven't used it in a while

I suspect this is the problem. Start using it again and stick to the calorie goal MFP gives you (not some arbitrary number you get from someone else). Then re-evaluate your progress in 2-4 weeks and make adjustments to your daily calorie goal accordingly.
  • newstart1988
    Thanks for all the comments and advice. I struggle with binge eating and I'm constantly starting over when it comes to eating healthy so I'm I'm constantly looking for advice and ways to get myself motivated. Thanks again for your helpful and understanding comments. :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Thanks for all the comments and advice. I struggle with binge eating and I'm constantly starting over when it comes to eating healthy so I'm I'm constantly looking for advice and ways to get myself motivated. Thanks again for your helpful and understanding comments. :-)

If you struggle with binge eating, my guess is that consistency is the biggest issue...you lose weight when you're consistently eating in a reasonable deficit...binge eating can wipe out an entire weeks worth of deficit easily. It's all about consistency over time...lots of time.

Often getting over binge eating it is required to address what is underlying that...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Are you restricting what you can eat when you are "on a diet"? Cutting out all your fave foods and forcing yourself to eat stuff you don't really like because it's healthy? Cutting your calories too low in an effort to lose quickly? Because all of those things can lead to a rebound of binging. Slow, steady, and consistent may be something you need to really focus on.

And as @cwolfman13 said, if there are issues other than how you diet causing you to binge, dealing with that stuff could be a huge plus.

Good luck and hang in there :drinker:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Are you restricting what you can eat when you are "on a diet"? Cutting out all your fave foods and forcing yourself to eat stuff you don't really like because it's healthy? Cutting your calories too low in an effort to lose quickly? Because all of those things can lead to a rebound of binging. Slow, steady, and consistent may be something you need to really focus on.

And as @cwolfman13 said, if there are issues other than how you diet causing you to binge, dealing with that stuff could be a huge plus.

Good luck and hang in there :drinker:

Im not the OP but I seriously think she needs to talk to someone. some days she doesnt even eat enough to live,less than 300 calories is too little.other days its way over.Im concerned op on the least amount you eat some days.some days there are no entries.OP please get help, you are hurting yourself doing this,especially the real low calorie days. its dangerous
  • Prolifics2016
    Prolifics2016 Posts: 3 Member
    I eat 1000 to 1200 Calories for the last 3 weeks. Started at 14st 6lbs today I am 13st 6lbs. I take the dog for a 20 minute walk every day and train work out once a week. I eat until I am full which isn't much now. I eat lots of salads, fresh whole chicken, fresh prawns and lots of pressed fruit juice 600ml a day. Every few days I will have a treat like peanut butter on toast but staying away from unhealthy snacks like pastries, cakes, chocolate and potatoes. I feel good and always eat if I am hungry. I plan on losing another 8lbs and increasing calories to the 1800 mark. I exhert between 2300 and 3000 a day according to my fit bit watch.