Macros are driving me insane!

Options
Trying to keep Macros at 50% protein, 30% fat, and 20% cabs and NEVER get close always blow out carbs and fat. Any suggestions or even a set menu to dial this in?

Replies

• lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    EdwardMH2 wrote: »
    Trying to keep Macros at 50% protein, 30% fat, and 20% cabs and NEVER get close always blow out carbs and fat. Any suggestions or even a set menu to dial this in?

I've ate at those macros it's sooooo hard to reach it but the results were amazing. I was so lean.
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Pro 40 fat 35 carb 25. Try that combo it's more manageable and will still give good results.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    No matter what the split, start by planning your meals with the macro you struggle with - add your protein first, get it close to your goal, then put the other components in to suit whatever the meal is.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Macros really don't matter. Calories are the most important thing.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Macros really don't matter. Calories are the most important thing.

Cals matter but so do macros.

A high protein diet is important for LBM & strength development in combo w/progressive lifting, helps increase fat loss and reduce LBM loss and can help w/weight loss by making you feel fuller and use more energy to digest.

See: https://www.muscleforlife.com/high-protein-diet/

My experience is proof of this because I've been on a high protein diet - - 40P/40C/20F - - for over 6 months and have lost 36# (196 down to 160) and have gotten stronger while lifting progressively heavier weights and have gained LBM and lost BF at a cal deficit during 2 different time periods w/in the past 6 months as measured by DXA and Hydrostatic Testing.

Nuff said.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

As noted above, I've been on a 40P/40C/20F diet. The actual intake as measured on MFP was 35P/39C/26F and averaged 181g Protein, 205g Carbs and 60g Fat. About 1/2 of my total diet in protein comes from powder, drinks and/or bars.

Based on my experience, I'd say that a goal of 50% protein may be too high and that you should try to shoot for 35-40% instead.

That should be enough for your fat loss and/or muscular gain objectives and will be easier to achieve. However, even so, you will have a hard time comsuming that much protein w/o using protein supplements.

You should also use MFP (as I do) to estimate how different foods will affect your cal and macro counts BEFORE each meal so that you can adjust each meal as necessary to achieve your cal and macro goals.

Good luck!

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    That's a LOT of protein... I'm all for high protein because that's the most effective for getting lean, but 50% of calories coming from protein seems a bit high. How many grams a day does that end up being for you?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I suggest aiming at gram goals for protein and fat rather than percentages. You'll read varying opinions on good protein goals. I prefer .8-1 gram per pound of bodyweight. For fat .4 grams per pound of bodyweight is a good starting point for many people. Those are minimums so you can aim to reach those and then beyond that the rest of your calories can come from carbs or more protein or more fat.

Regardless of how you calculate your macros, if you want to reach them you'll need to plan ahead a bit. It doesn't have to be a week ahead of time but even pausing before a meal to log what is being served and deciding on an appropriate portion size will help.

Best of luck to you!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I suggest aiming at gram goals for protein and fat rather than percentages. You'll read varying opinions on good protein goals. I prefer .8-1 gram per pound of bodyweight. For fat .4 grams per pound of bodyweight is a good starting point for many people. Those are minimums so you can aim to reach those and then beyond that the rest of your calories can come from carbs or more protein or more fat.

Regardless of how you calculate your macros, if you want to reach them you'll need to plan ahead a bit. It doesn't have to be a week ahead of time but even pausing before a meal to log what is being served and deciding on an appropriate portion size will help.

Best of luck to you!

Use your goal weight to calculate though, or the ideal weight for your height and gender. If very overweight that can skew macros a lot. Like a 250 pound 5'4" woman does NOT need 250 grams of protein per day.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There's no need to eat that much protein, especially if you are finding it difficult. Most people eat more than they need to, it's not a bad thing by any means, but that doesn't mean it's mandatory for everyone.
  • EdwardMH2
    EdwardMH2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I see so many diet suggestions that I get confused on what I should be doing Keto/Paleo little to no carbs, others say high protein more exercise, others... etc... My main activities are Walking and Pickleball, I can not afford a Gym membership but I do have a Total Gym at home.
  • xxerniexx
    xxerniexx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    if your low on protein but high on other macros try liquid egg whites, when cooked with Pam they are 100% protein
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Walking and pickleball are just fine, and there must be a lot of online programs that utilize a Total Gym.

As for macros -- start with the default here on MFP. Eat the calorie level MFP recommends, use the default macro split, log everything, and try that for four weeks. Then tweak as needed. You don't have to get it perfect the first time around.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I am just starting maintenance and bringing my calories goal up. I stepped it up a little a few weeks ago and right away it made me wonder about the macros and %. Do I need more protein because I am not trying to lose weight now? Actually, I still want to lose a little more very slowly just for more wiggle room in staying under my max, but that doesn't really matter. My point is that there are really some raw numbers you can use that are how much you really need. I need about 60g of protein unless I start bulking, then I need more. Does it really matter what macros I get as extras beyond my basic needs? Not very much. I want fiber like whole grains to keep my LDL down, so I get my carbs in. I get more sugar than MFP like because I eat a lot of fruit. That really isn't a problem.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    xxerniexx wrote: »
    if your low on protein but high on other macros try liquid egg whites, when cooked with Pam they are 100% protein

Pam, just like any other cooking sprays and oils, is 100% fat
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    xxerniexx wrote: »

Yeah, Pam is oil in an aerosol can. All being in an aerosol can does is allow you to dispense a smaller amount evenly. It doesn't magically make it no longer fat.
  • Fizzypopization
    Fizzypopization Posts: 29 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Carbs are healthy and you need them. For most people at least 150g of carbs should be consumed and up to 275g can be. Veggies are good. Cut back on protein and increase carb (just make it good carbs veggies and fruits). There is a reason you are struggling to meet that goal we don't need a lot of protein to run effectively. Most women can get their entire protein amount in a day from a single chicken breast and men a breast and a half so unless you have a reason to be on a low carb diet like an actual medical conditon this seems to be your issue.