Calluses/Lifting gloves

Options
I have a pair of golds gym gloves I wear when I lift but I still get calluses. Anyone have any tips on a better pair? My left hand is worse than my right and they hurt

Replies

• Brad_61179
    Brad_61179 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Harbinger Pro Wrist wraps. I never get callouses
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It also helps to use a foot pumice stone on your calluses in the shower to help keep them smoothed down and tear free.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I'm a computer geek so other than the caluses I get from lifting/push ups/pull ups my hands are pretty fragile lol. I tear the crap out of them without gloves. I did find some thinner ones from UA that are comfortable which help. the thicker padded ones made things worse.
  • slivesey77
    slivesey77 Posts: 2,450 Member
    Options
    I just use some cheap leather work gloves. No problems yet and cheaper than lifting gloves.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    My calluses are minimal. I don't use gloves anymore. I use liquid grip.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Gloves are not recommended. It's best to lift without.

I've often heard and read this over the years and call it BS.

Sometimes I wear gloves and sometimes I don't. When I do it's mainly for comfort, not for grip. For grip, I use straps which people also say not to use. Yeah, they may impair the full development of your grip strength but they won't help you lift the weight. Same for gloves. If the weight is too heavy, gloves and straps won't help you to move it.

So, IMO, if you like them and you think that they help you in some way to lift, use 'em. If you don't, don't.

BTW, I still get calluses whether I use them or not. Can't avoid them even if you use the palm grip, as I do. Just an inevitable part of lifting. Use sandpaper board to help reduce & dress them.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    proper bar grip will fix that problem...

https://nielpatel.blogspot.com/2010/07/exercise-cues-grip.html
    First in this installment is how to grip any implement you use. Whether it be a dumbbell, barbell, kettlebell, or small child, where it rests in your hand can change how the action is executed. Additionally, proper gripping minimizes callus formation.

barbell+gripping.JPG
    Left – Where to grab the bar in exercises which involve pulling the weight towards the body.
    Right – Where to grab the bar, possibly lower, in exercises which involve pushing/pressing the weight away from the body.

This worked for me. I stopped getting bad calluses after fixing my grips for deadlift and row. I only have one tiny callus below my thick wedding band now. Also, the ladies that did my nails could perform miracles on my calluses.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who LIKES to have calluses???
    I was just coming here to say that I'm kind of proud of my calluses. I worked hard for them and they protect my skin.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I only have a small one in the area below my wedding ring, but it's kind of like a badge of honor.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Meh. Gloves? We don't need no stinkin' gloves.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I got some "tacky" lifting gloves from Walmart. I don't mind the calluses. I grew up doing gymnastics, so having calluses is normal to me. My opinion on gloves is kind of like wearing grips for bars. I don't have chalk and was having trouble with my grip, tried the gloves, and they help. I still have calluses...
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    just use chalk, you can keep it in a little tupperwear in your gym bag
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calluses will keep forming so embrace them.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    someone will be along here shortly to show you the ripetoe bar grip ing video where he shows you exactly how to grip the bar. These techniques will help with or without gloves. Before I got hurt I was resorting to gloves because I was lifting in cold temperatures but found that a layer of chalk protects my hands from the cold bars and improves my overall grip instead of making it harder to grip heavy weights with gloves.

the calluses protect your hands but ocasionaly they need trimmed back because the larger they get the more likely they are to tear. I haven't done this with a barbell but I have done it with tools several times and its never fun.

If you have to wear gloves going to a sporting goods store and finding a pair that fits your hands would be the best way. I have the golds gym gloves that you probably own. I got them after removing half the skin on the palm of my hand when a blister popped and I didn't want to grip bars at my local gym with that open wound and they are anything but a good fitting pair of gloves but they were only $7 so they stay around in case I need them for anything.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    I follow the school of thought that gloves are only ok if they match your purse. I think it's called toxic masculinity in some circles.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I got some "tacky" lifting gloves from Walmart. I don't mind the calluses. I grew up doing gymnastics, so having calluses is normal to me. My opinion on gloves is kind of like wearing grips for bars. I don't have chalk and was having trouble with my grip, tried the gloves, and they help. I still have calluses...

hnnnngggg you look great!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves as they improve my grip. I don't judge my masculinity by wearing gloves or not - what a very sad outlook.

Don't like leather ones, the modern tacky grip ones work well but I wear out two pairs a year - hoping Santa is bringing me some new ones.