Meals

Options
Better to eat small meals every couple of hours? Or bigger meals spread farther apart? Why?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Go with whatever you can stick to. Some find they prefer smaller meals closer together, others prefer three larger meals, and others keep an eating window during which they consume all their calories (one big meal, a couple snacks). Personally, I have three-four medium size meals and a snack before bed. Or if I am having a day out, I will eat lighter the rest of the day to fit in a great restaurant meal.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yes, meal timing is irrelevant.

Your body burns energy day and night.

Eat whatever and whenever makes you satisfied within your calorie limit.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Eat 2, 3 or 5 meals. But never 4. 4 will make you gain weight.
    Unless number 4 is after midnight on a rainy night on the 31st.
    :laugh:
  • newbie3122
    newbie3122 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Omg this is so true. The fortune cookie says that 4 is my unlucky number...
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    newbie3122 wrote: »
    Omg this is so true. The fortune cookie says that 4 is my unlucky number...

lol you guys are MEAN lol

Good luck
  • missmagnoliablossom
    Options
    Which way makes you feel more satisfied? Go with that.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Whatever helps you function best.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. Play around and find what works best for your personal needs/schedule.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Better to eat small meals every couple of hours? Or bigger meals spread farther apart? Why?

Personal preference. Everyone is different. Makes no difference for weight loss as long as you are staying within your calorie deficit.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Doesn't matter either way. Meal timing is irrelevant. All that matters is calories in < calories out. Go with whatever fits your personal preference best.

Yep this :)
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question is shown in the following study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27737674. This study demonstrates how "intermittent fasting", or IF, works.

By limiting your "eating window" to a limited time span, you create a "fasting" period for the remainder of the day, which allows your body to go into efficient fat-burning.

So, for example, in the study above, the "eating window" was within an 8-hr time period. This is also known as intermittent fasting.

For me, it's a very effective strategy. I've noticed a huge difference if I eat within the established eating window. Also, note that there is also no reduction in food intake. Whatever food you were planning to eat that day is not reduced...just needs to be within the feeding window. I get such huge gains in weight loss for virtually little effort with intermittent fasting.

So, yes. Meal timing is associated to weight loss effectiveness.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options
    The answer to your question is shown in the following study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27737674. This study demonstrates how "intermittent fasting", or IF, works.

By limiting your "eating window" to a limited time span, you create a "fasting" period for the remainder of the day, which allows your body to go into efficient fat-burning.

So, for example, in the study above, the "eating window" was within an 8-hr time period. This is also known as intermittent fasting.

For me, it's a very effective strategy. I've noticed a huge difference if I eat within the established eating window. Also, note that there is also no reduction in food intake. Whatever food you were planning to eat that day is not reduced...just needs to be within the feeding window. I get such huge gains in weight loss for virtually little effort with intermittent fasting.

I've done IF for years now but if I don't also regulate my calorie intake I gain weight. IF is not a weight loss plan in itself and you still have to be eating at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals while doing it. What many people find though is that doing an eating window is a simple way to help keep calories in check. If I eat in the morning I tend to graze the rest of the day. But, when I break my fast at noon or later then I don't graze/snack and it's easier to hit my calorie targets.

The effectiveness of intermittent fasting has to do with it's ability to improve insulin sensitivity and reboot metabolism. For example, this is shown in the following study, where those with deranged metabolisms demonstrated greater improvement of weight loss through intermittent fasting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20921964

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I've done IF for years now but if I don't also regulate my calorie intake I gain weight. IF is not a weight loss plan in itself and you still have to be eating at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals while doing it. What many people find though is that doing an eating window is a simple way to help keep calories in check. If I eat in the morning I tend to graze the rest of the day. But, when I break my fast at noon or later then I don't graze/snack and it's easier to hit my calorie targets.

The effectiveness of intermittent fasting has to do with it's ability to improve insulin sensitivity and reboot metabolism. For example, this is shown in the following study, where those with deranged metabolisms demonstrated greater improvement of weight loss through intermittent fasting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20921964

Do you think that you can eat over your maintenance calorie range, but stay within your IF window, and not gain weight? Because I've been there, done that and I did in fact gain :p
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options

Do you think that you can eat over your maintenance calorie range, but stay within your IF window, and not gain weight? Because I've been there, done that and I did in fact gain :p

It's typically not possible to eat over the maintenance level in intermittent fasting, given that you stick to foods that do not derange your metabolism and induce insulin resistance (I.e. Typically non-processed foods). For example, I can only eat a certain amount of ribeye steak or salmon within the eating window. I can't force myself to eat more ribeye or salmon...it's impossible. It's a natural, built-in stop gap. There are some foods that some people need to restrict levels because they have a tendency to overeat them (like potatoes and rice). Most low-sugar, unprocessed foods are difficult to overeat (I.e. Vegetables, fish, meat, seafood).

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

It's typically not possible to eat over the maintenance level in intermittent fasting, given that you stick to foods that do not derange your metabolism and induce insulin resistance (I.e. Typically non-processed foods). For example, I can only eat a certain amount of ribeye steak or salmon within the eating window. I can't force myself to eat more ribeye or salmon...it's impossible. It's a natural, built-in stop gap. There are some foods that some people need to restrict levels because they have a tendency to overeat them (like potatoes and rice). Most low-sugar, unprocessed foods are difficult to overeat (I.e. Vegetables, fish, meat, seafood).

IF is just a pattern of eating. It has noting to do with the types of foods you choose. I believe you're conflating IF and your LCHF preferences.