The Breakfast of Champions

Options
I used to think it was beer.

I'm older now, and trying to actually be healthy, but I am completely clueless when it comes to nutrition. I've started reading the forum here to try and get a clue.

MFP tells me that I need 90 grams of protein a day (I'm a big dude). My current breakfast of choice is the 10g protein Quaker instant oatmeal.
But, since I have started doing pushups before breakfast, I find myself ... well, I'm not more hungry, but I feel generally run-down. I was thinking diet could help with this, and am guessing what I want is protein. (again, totally clueless here, so I may be whey off*)

So, in short, I'm looking for a new every-day easy breakfast.

I read somewhere that cottage cheese and yogurt are a good breakfast combo, and was thinking of trying that. (Maybe Greek Yogurt instead?) One requirement is that the breakfast is easy. I am not going to fry up eggs at 6AM every morning. So anything that can be eaten as is, or prepared ahead of time would be good.

Any suggestions are welcome.

* Couldn't resist. Sorry.

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I do IF and don't usually eat before noon, but if you eat in the morning you don't have to stick to 'breakfast' foods-why not eat leftovers or make a sandwich etc. And scrambled eggs with veggies and cheese take almost no prep time, paired with an English muffin or low calorie toast.

Also-I'm a huge fan of oatmeal but I never eat just one serving size (and I'm a not-so-big girl lol). My go to combo is 2 packets of flavored instant oatmeal with another 1/2 serving of regular quick oats (1/4 cup). Prep it over the stove with water and then I also add some dried fruit (blueberries). After it's cooked I top it with 1/4 cup of 2% milk. I'm having this for supper tonight and it clocks in at 435 calories :) It's really filling to me and it also takes under 5 minutes to put together. You could also replace the dried fruit with a banana, walnuts etc.

eta: the oatmeal combo I have listed above comes in at 12g of protein.
  • kajorma
    kajorma Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input.
    I'm not at all set on breakfast like food, so the sandwich idea isn't bad.
    But cooking is just out. Your breakfast sounds good, but is more work than I am willing to put in most mornings. :)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    PB and rice cakes, toast, oatmeal, nuts, protein bars..........could do it for ya with like no prep time.

Oh also - hard boiled eggs. You can make them at night in big batches and eat throughout the week ;)

I to do IMF and am mostly keto.......so all I do is drink some green or black tea with MCT oil in it and I don't eat until 12:30ish. I even consistently do cardio workouts in the morning before work and am fine.
  • kajorma
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    PB and rice cakes, toast, oatmeal, nuts, protein bars..........could do it for ya with like no prep time.

Oh also - hard boiled eggs. You can make them at night in big batches and eat throughout the week ;)
    Those are some great ideas. PB is something that I hadn't even considered (I don't know why)
    I to do IMF and am mostly keto.......so all I do is drink some green or black tea with MCT oil in it and I don't eat until 12:30ish. I even consistently do cardio workouts in the morning before work and am fine.

I have to admit, I have no idea what IF, IMF, keto, and MCT are. I mean, I'm googling them now, but just FYI, that's how much of a newb I am here.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, muffin tin frittatas, overnight oats, fruit and Greek yogurt, PB on an English muffin. Like you, I'm a big fan of not doing much more than grabbing something out of the fridge in the AM!
  • crzycatlady1
    edited December 2016
    Options
    kajorma wrote: »

Those are some great ideas. PB is something that I hadn't even considered (I don't know why)

I have to admit, I have no idea what IF, IMF, keto, and MCT are. I mean, I'm googling them now, but just FYI, that's how much of a newb I am here.

IF is intermittent fasting, which you'll see mentioned a lot on the forums, and it's actually an umbrella term for several different protocols.

I did alternate day IF for my active weight loss phase and I alternated between very low calorie days with maintenance level calorie days.

5:2IF is where you do 2 very low calorie days and then 5 maintenance (or slightly less) calorie days.

And then you have 16:8IF and it's various versions, which just means you have an eating window of a certain amount of hours and then you fast the other hours. I typically do an 11am-7pm eating window and then outside of that I drink diet soda, water, black flavored teas and then I fudge things a bit and have a light hot cocoa (25-50 calories), before bed (and on the weekends it includes peppermint schnapps :D ).

IF is not for everyone, but many of us have found that it helps keep our calories in check. If I eat in the morning I find myself grazing/snacking the rest of the day. But, if I wait till 11am-noonish to break my daily fast then I don't have the urge to snack. This makes it easier for me to hit my calorie targets :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Steak and eggs is a champion high protein breakfast.

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I work super early in the morning and I have beakfast sandwiches every day. You can premake and reheat (they freeze well too!) If I'm lazy I can usually cook the egg while the water for my tea boils and I'm getting everything else ready. But I've also scrambled some eggs and added some frozen spinach, baked in a casserole pan, and then cut them into squares. But it on an English muffins with a slice of cheese- easy and portable.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have a protein bar and fruit for breakfast every morning. Super easy, no cooking
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If you like oatmeal, I think some greek yogurt stirred into hot oatmeal is delicious --Cools it off and makes it creamy. Do you have protein powder? Mix a scoop with the dry oatmeal before adding the hot water. Pb2 or other nut butters are also great in oatmeal. Other easy ideas would be a protein bar(like Quest or Kirkland's) or cottage cheese with fruit or tomato.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I do not eat breakfast. It makes it easier to get out of the house on time.
    Breakfast is not required.
    Some people eat a late snack before lunch or save their calories for bigger lunches and suppers.
    You could prepare a bigger supper the night before so you can have leftovers for breakfast.
    Other possible breakfast ideas: add yogurt and nuts to the oatmeal.
    Maybe just eat a protein shakes with protein like milk.
  • kajorma
    Options
    Thank you for all of these tips.
    This morning I went for PB on toast, but I think I'm going to start picking up some protein bars.
    The other thing about grabbing a piece of fruit to go with the standard oatmeal sounds like a good easy plan too.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I really like the fage 2% or 0% yogurt cups. They range from 100-140 calories and 18-20 grams of protein.

I usually eat one of these and a banana to keep me satiated until i eat lunch. :)

p.s. I also like the mint chocolate cliff builder's bars. it ends up being the same calories as the above and same protein so i swap them out for each other depending on what i want.
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    If you like oatmeal, I think some greek yogurt stirred into hot oatmeal is delicious --Cools it off and makes it creamy. Do you have protein powder? Mix a scoop with the dry oatmeal before adding the hot water. Pb2 or other nut butters are also great in oatmeal. Other easy ideas would be a protein bar(like Quest or Kirkland's) or cottage cheese with fruit or tomato.

Never thought to do this-brilliant! Going to pick up some Greek yogurt to add to my oatmeal supper :)
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Have you tried make ahead breakfast burritos? You wrap them in foil and freeze them and just microwave them wrapped in a paper towel in the morning.
  • crzycatlady1
    edited December 2016
    Options
    eta: ok, back from the store lol. OP-if you decide to try adding Greek yogurt to your oats I found single serving containers of Yoplait Greek 100 Protein flavored yogurts-each one has 14 or 15 grams of protein and are 100 calories. Going to try this tonight for supper-1 servings quick oats, one packet of peach flaored instant oats and then one container of the Greek yogurt (raspberry flavored). Calorie total-380, protein total-23 grams.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    eta: ok, back from the store lol. OP-if you decide to try adding Greek yogurt to your oats I found single serving containers of Yoplait Greek 100 Protein flavored yogurts-each one has 14 or 15 grams of protein and are 100 calories. Going to try this tonight!

just want to say... try the fage next time. Not only is it *real* greek yogurt, it tastes better and has 18g for 100 cals. ;)
  • crzycatlady1
    edited December 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    eta: ok, back from the store lol. OP-if you decide to try adding Greek yogurt to your oats I found single serving containers of Yoplait Greek 100 Protein flavored yogurts-each one has 14 or 15 grams of protein and are 100 calories. Going to try this tonight!

just want to say... try the fage next time. Not only is it *real* greek yogurt, it tastes better and has 18g for 100 cals. ;)

The Yoplait's were on sale for $1 :D I'll keep an eye out for deals on Fage though!
  • rainbowbow
    edited December 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

The Yoplait's were on sale for $1 :D I'll keep an eye out for deals on Fage though!

Oh, i know! I used to buy them sometimes as well, but i was always left disappointed. :(

P.S. if you have the opportunity, omg try these. the macros suck, but who cares, it is the best yogurt i've EVER had in my life.
    Liberte--700x467.jpg
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    i've never done breakfast. once i turned into a bike commuter though i had to have something. back in the day it used to be cup full of yogurt frozen in an ice-cube tray and then topped up with orange juice. you can do this with buttermilk too and it's like a slightly tangier creamsicle.

then this guy friend of mine brought lifting and protein into my life and now it's yogurt, some kind of frozen fruit and a scoop of whey isolate powder. i'm plain yogurt all the way but really don't like the greek stuff as it's not tart enough for my taste.