Eating calorie below goal????

Options
So my daily goal is 1700 cal, if i eat about 1200 cal daily and burn about 500 cal daily. Meaning my remaining cal would be 1000..
Is it safe to lose weight like this???

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No.

How about following the goal and seeing how it works?
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    The math doesn't add up .. if your maintaince is at 1700 and you burn 500 you will net 1200.

If your eating 1200 and burning 500 your only netting 700 ..

The stickies explain a lot better than me .look at top of page . I just use the numbers MFP gives me and it's been spot on ..

Good luck
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nope. You risk losing more muscle as well as jeopardizing your health. Your goal is the number you should be meeting, if not every day then averaged over the week.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry, don't eat. If you are hungry, eat. Simple.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Hunger is not necessarily a good signal that you're getting adequate nutrition. 700 calories isn't going to provide what the body needs to function properly for very long.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    So my daily goal is 1700 cal, if i eat about 1200 cal daily and burn about 500 cal daily. Meaning my remaining cal would be 1000..

Your 1700 calories is based on a weekly weight loss goal of how many pounds per week?

Also - how tall are you, how old are you, what's your current weight, and what's your final goal weight?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

That 1700 calorie target has the deficit figured into it. You don't need to go lower than that. Additionally, it wouldn't be wise to do so (specifically not to the 700 net calorie point) for the sake of nutrition, health, and muscles (heart is a muscle too).
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

If only it was that simple
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Why so low. You don't want to crash and burn. Take it steady so you can reach your goals and be healthy
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    I generally think that people put emphasis on things that either don't matter at all, or only matter a small amount, while ignoring the things that matter a great deal.

Overview of what I think is important:

1) Eat the appropriate caloric (and macronutrient) intake for your goals and track intake accurately. I think eating mostly nutrient dense and whole foods while still allowing some "treats" is a reasonable starting point/guideline.
    2) Exercise regularly. Do something you enjoy or at worst case choose the least objectionable activity. Ideally you should include some form of resistance based training as a part of your program.
    3) Get adequate rest/sleep.
    4) Establish metrics and use them appropriately.
    5) Repeat.

And do NOT complicate things worrying about minutia.
    The vast majority of you should be able to stick to the above and make very good progress. Will other things matter at some point? Possibly, but the above will get you very far.

I'm going into some details here and when I make generalizations please realize that I'm well aware of the idea of applying context and unfortunately it's difficult to generalize and apply context at the same time. So treat the generalizations as such.

1) Eat the appropriate caloric (and macronutrient) intake for your goals and track intake accurately.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

The above link is not going to be accurate for everyone. Please treat it as a starting point and general information.

If you choose to use MFP's default setting rather than a TDEE method, it's important to set realistic weight loss targets based on your current bodyweight. I think .5 to 1% bodyweight per week is a good general recommendation for most people. Very obese people may go a bit faster. Be aware of the exercise calorie model that MFP uses if you choose to use MFP's default method. Exercise expenditures are often over-stated so you may wish to eat back a set percentage of those calories, such as 50% for starters.

See here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

An aside on food selection

I am a firm believer in moderation. However, if you're the type that can't have a serving of potato chips without eating two bags of potato chips then it stands to reason that you may not be able to practice moderation with potato chips. I concede that for some people, elimination of some things, even if temporary, could be a viable short term strategy while you learn to apply moderation. That being said, I think "most" people will do very well using a food selection strategy where somewhere around 80% of their diet consists of whole and nutrient dense foods with the other 20% consisting of whatever you prefer.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

Yes, health is important and you should be looking to consume a lot of nutrient dense foods in your diet. But this doesn't mean you can't also have a pop tart or some ice cream. Going from fat to not fat is very likely to significantly improve your health.

Stop guessing .
    TRACK ACCURATELY.
    . . . . . . . . .