How to answer questions about why I'm not eating certain things?

Options
2»

Replies

• fastingrabbit
    fastingrabbit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    emmalvale wrote: »
    Just be honest and say you are trying to eat more healthy!

I agree with this.

Consider how complicated this could get over a few months. When you start visibly slimming down, and she asks how long you've been eating differently, what will you say? If you meet about every week, she's going to notice a pattern. Just get it over with - tell her what you're trying to do. Then she'll understand why you are choosing different menu items.

Perhaps in the future you won't even want to have your get-togethers at restaurants. Then what?
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You order what you want surely!!!! As you are chising why not say I fancy xxorx you don't need to explain what you are eating and drinking . Unless you are seeking advice from a nutritionist then you would be discussing what you consume
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    PriceK01 wrote: »
    I can't imagine what could make you feel awkward about letting a friend know you're trying to make healthier choices. Any chance your friend is obese?
    We are both bigger. She lost some weight but stopped so yeah it's weird if I tell her I'm still going.

Well, why is it weird? Do you not want to hurt her feelings? Not make her feel like a failure?

If so, that's thoughtful of you, but you're taking too much of this on yourself.

There's a difference between being in-your-face-rude about succeeding, and being just honest about something that's going on in your life. And this sort of situation can be awkward. Say you have a great job and just got promoted, but your friend's career is doing terrible. You may want to refrain a bit from talking about your terrific position in polite conversation unless you are sure your friend will react well to that. But it would also be just as awkward to pretend you didn't get a promotion and your job's going well.

You doing well on a diet doesn't actually have any reflection on your friend. It's good to be sensitive to any feelings of envy, competitiveness, or the like. But you have to be honest about what your needs are, and right now that means ordering the healthiest items on the menu. You don't have to feel awkward or weird about that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It happened to me last Summer, everyone was having ice cream and I passed... Just told them I was watching my weight. It wasn't a big deal at all (I did have 3 scoops of ice cream earlier that day too, so there's that).
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If it's an alcoholic drink just tell her you're already tired and it would probably put you to sleep and that would be no fun. If it's a sugary drink just say you'd rather not get that sugar rush only to crash in an hour or so. Or if it's something like coke just say it's getting too late for caffeine and you don't want to be up all night. As far as food you can tell her the fried foods or heavy sauces give you heartburn or make you breakout. I think the best thing would be to say that you're trying new things and want to change your eating habits because you don't like feeling stuffed and overeating makes you tired. An additional "Who knows, I might even lose a few pounds" would also be appropriate.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My director ordered a huge lunch for everyone at a meeting recently, and was a little surprised when I excused myself and got my lunch out of my vehicle. I explained I was eating a certain way for health reasons and was restricting myself. He got embarrassed, saying "Sorry, I didn't know.." and I just reassured him it was no big deal, nothing to be sorry about. We all let it go and enjoyed lunch.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the best.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    She is your friend so just explain to her what you are up to
    Depending on how she behaves after that you can decide what to do next
    I never had a friend question me on my food choice eating out. Find it really weird
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    We are both bigger. She lost some weight but stopped so yeah it's weird if I tell her I'm still going.

My best friend is morbidly obese and has been since we were kids. I've always struggled with my weight, lots of yo-yo dieting, and recently I reached an all time high as an adult of 214 lbs.

I decided to make a lifestyle change. I got a gym membership and started going everyday before work and I joined MFP.

At first, I didn't tell her because I've done so much yo-yo dieting in the past and also because she's morbidly obese, always tries to lose the weight, and never succeeds.

I was worried about her feelings essentially. Eventually, I let something slip accidentally about the gym and now we just talk about it regularly. She's been very supportive and not long after finding out I joined a gym she joined one as well.

It turns out I was worried for nothing. Instead of making her feel bad it seems I inspired her.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    So, I have this really close friend. A while back we both started trying to lose weight and we were cheering each other on, lending support, etc. Then, I pretty much fell off that wagon and went back to my regular habits of over eating and whatnot. Of course I gained weight back too. I noticed she stopped talking about her progress and efforts as much and I let her know that she didn't need to do that and to not be uncomfortable...talk about it all she wanted. I continued to cheer her on as she killed it and met her goals even if I wasn't even trying to meet mine.

Fast forward to now and she's taking a break and I'm the one who is back at it and killing it. And she is just as supportive as I was for her and asks me about my progress too.

I think in a healthy friendship you can be happy for your friends when they succeed even if you aren't succeeding yourself at that given time. She and I both know that if one of us is staying on track we aren't going to judge the other if they aren't.
  • Thatonechickoverthere
    Options
    everher wrote: »

My best friend is morbidly obese and has been since we were kids. I've always struggled with my weight, lots of yo-yo dieting, and recently I reached an all time high as an adult of 214 lbs.

I decided to make a lifestyle change. I got a gym membership and started going everyday before work and I joined MFP.

At first, I didn't tell her because I've done so much yo-yo dieting in the past and also because she's morbidly obese, always tries to lose the weight, and never succeeds.

I was worried about her feelings essentially. Eventually, I let something slip accidentally about the gym and now we just talk about it regularly. She's been very supportive and not long after finding out I joined a gym she joined one as well.

It turns out I was worried for nothing. Instead of making her feel bad it seems I inspired her.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend not being able to lose weight when she tries. Has she considered surgery? I know some people where that was the only thing that helped them.