Fitbit blaze or other watch reviews? Owner opinions too...

Options
Hi guys,

I've currently got a Moto 360 sport smart watch and although I like it, it's really annoying that they call it 'sport' yet it only works well for running. It doesn't capture my sleep or workouts well and the calories burned are based on walking/running/cycling.

I need a watch that:

Has GPS for mapping runs
Heart rate monitor for accurate calorie counts
Works for calculating burn through workouts
Has phone notifications

Oh yeah and tells the time, but that's not too important lol....

So I've come across the new fitbit and wanted your thoughts please.. or any other recommendations...

Much appreciated

Tal

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Is the Apple Watch outside your budget? I went from Fitbit to AW and really like it, but I know the price point is a bit steep if you're not into Apple stuff. It has all those things you want.
  • TalQureshi
    TalQureshi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks MelanieCN77,

It's not out of budget but my only issue with Apple is "I HATE APPLE!" Lol

I've always been an android freak... Does the Apple watch work well with android?
    If so... I might consider it
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Ha, I doubt it!
  • TalQureshi
    edited December 2016
    Options
    :p
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    TalQureshi wrote: »
    Thanks MelanieCN77,

It's not out of budget but my only issue with Apple is "I HATE APPLE!" Lol

I've always been an android freak... Does the Apple watch work well with android?
    If so... I might consider it
    It doesn't work at all with Android, so not even worth consideration if that's your platform of choice. It certainly is a great watch, though - I've used mine for well over a year and am very pleased with it. I've considered switching to a Garmin, they're great devices, but the features they offer don't make it worth it (to me) to give up all the other functionality of the Apple Watch.
  • pattib1029
    pattib1029 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the blaze and it's pretty cool. You would have to have your phone with you for GPS though.
  • TalQureshi
    Options
    Hi pattib1029,

Oops I thought the blaze had gps but they call it 'connected gps' which is a posh way of saying... "You have to use your phone".

Gemwolf110 which Garmin would you recommend that meets my needs?

Thanks again guys
  • TalQureshi
    Options
    There's too many variations of wearable Garmin's... Just checked there website and I'm confused... ?
    :s
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Check out DC Rainmaker. He does honest and thorough reviews of all things Garmin.

I have a Fenix 3 HR and love it.
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If Android is your thing you might consider the Polar M600. It has all the features you are looking for and the software is based Android based.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    There's too many variations of wearable Garmin's... Just checked there website and I'm confused... ?

VivoActive HR. AVOID the Vivosmart HR.

I've had both and they are night and day for functionality, with the Vivoactive being far better.

It's not as good as a dedicated running watch for running, but the list of activities is pretty long, you can wear it 24/7 to track your sleep, has HR and GPS and works well with Garmin Connect to integrate to MFP. Plus it is waterproof if that matters.

If you golf you can download your course before heading out. I have not tried it yet as I got mine US thanksgiving and it's too cold up here in Canada to golf then.

Only thing it doesn't do is show you a map of your walk/run on the watch itself. But it will show the map on your phone or computer.
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    have you tried a different app with your moto360? UP Smart Coach is what I use on my Huawei watch, it's not perfect but it pairs with MFP. you have to enter your workouts and sleep manually. but sometime it notices something changed and will ask me if I was active or if I was sleeping. might be worth a look until you find your perfect smartwatch.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Garmin FR235 is a popular one: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/529988

Here's DCRainmaker's review of it: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/garmin-fr230-fr235-review.html
  • TalQureshi
    edited December 2016
    Options
    have you tried a different app with your moto360? UP Smart Coach is what I use on my Huawei watch, it's not perfect but it pairs with MFP. you have to enter your workouts and sleep manually. but sometime it notices something changed and will ask me if I was active or if I was sleeping. might be worth a look until you find your perfect smartwatch.

I'll try this out in the meantime, thanks Kimberly
  • TalQureshi
    Options
    If Android is your thing you might consider the Polar M600. It has all the features you are looking for and the software is based Android based.

I'll have a look at this one, thanks Greg
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... or any other recommendations...

Anything except FitBit. I'd agree the recommendation to read DC Rainmaker for reviews and recommendations. Personally I prefer Garmin, but Suunto are generally pretty capable as well.

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I use Fitbit Charge HR when cycling, it detects cycling on its own, or you can put it in "workout" mode when it will just track your time, heart rate and burn no matter what you're doing. (useful for yard work and strength training, for example). It doesn't have GPS, but when I cycle I carry my samsung and use the Endomondo app. Its really good with mapping the entire ride, elevation, MPH etc. It can sync with MFP and with the Fitbit, but I haven't tried that in a long time, I think I was getting double burns synced to MFP and decided to unsync it, I just have the fitbit synced to MFP now.

My cycling route is always the same, mainly I just like hearing endomondo tell me which mile I'm on and it also speaks out the time one the ride, and avg lap pace for that particular mile.

You can manually add other types for workouts to endomondo, but I expect you'd only do that if you're using endomondo as your primary activity tracker. I'm not, I'm using fitbit as my main activity tracker and MFP for food.

Good luck in your choice.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Fitbit, much like GoPro did a great job with marketting and are the first name on most peoples lips.
    before you buy a fitbit though google for the failure rate, i had 4 surges, and a charge HR, all had faulty straps.
    i now use the tomtom Adventurer. a far better fitness watch in every way
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    shredcamps wrote: »
    Fitbit, much like GoPro did a great job with marketting and are the first name on most peoples lips.
    before you buy a fitbit though google for the failure rate, i had 4 surges, and a charge HR, all had faulty straps.
    i now use the tomtom Adventurer. a far better fitness watch in every way

I can't even imagine what a "faulty strap" is, though you're not the first person to mention it. Where exactly did it fail? Been wearing mine for over a year.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    if you enter the three words fitbit faulty and strap into google you get

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fitbit faulty strap

pages and pages of details.