Indoor rowers?

Options
CafeRacer808 and I were just talking about indoor rowing in the big NSV thread, and it got me wondering if there are any more of us on here.

I've always wanted to row on the water, but could never seem to make it happen. I could, however, hop on the erg at the Y whenever the mood struck. I've been training seriously for about 3 months for the CRASH-B race in Boston in February. I've signed up for a few sessions with a local coach and she's helped me with my form tremendously and has written an aggressive training schedule. My goal is to hit midpack in my age group (which seems to be where I hit in EVERY sport I've ever done -- running, biking, swimming, etc.). I'm in the Senior Heavyweight Women group, which means my midpack goal is 8:23 for the 2k. My personal best right now is 8:33, so I have two months to shave off 10 seconds. So I think I can do it, if I keep up the training. And this summer, I plan to sign up for the Learn To Row program on the water.

I'm using the Concept2 online training log to track my performance, which is awesome. I can sync the erg monitor with my phone, then upload the data to the website, where my coach can check my progress in detail. Highly recommend it. It's also very cool to rank myself against everyone else and participate in the frequent challenges C2 posts.

I'd like to lose weight, but I know I'm mostly motivated by competition, so while my official goal is to PB at the race, my underlying goal is to lose 50 more lbs (I've already lost 30 over the last year). That'll put me at the top of my healthy BMI range. It's slow going, since I've been more focused on eating for performance than for weight loss, but I'm ramping up my efforts there, since I know that the lighter I am, the faster I can go. Hence, getting back into MFP.

So, if you're out there, tell us what you're doing, and what your plans are?

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread!

Like I said in the NSV thread, I just started erging about three weeks ago. I got a Model D as an early Christmas gift and it's now my favorite thing in the house (after my dog, of course). Starting on the rower also marked the start of me getting back into shape. I've always been a pretty active guy - martial arts, tennis, and yoga mostly -but after a motorcycle crash 4 years ago, I slid into a very sedentary lifestyle.

I spent the first two weeks working on form and technique while slowly getting back into the groove of cardio work. This week, I started the beginner version of the Pete Plan. My goal is to work my way up to an indoor competition in 2017 and to take an LTR class in the fall.

I love the idea of spending a few sessions with a coach in order to fine tune form and whatnot. There are a couple in my area, so I think I'll get on that right after the holidays.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    Forgot to ask: Have you played around with any of the rowing-specific apps that are out there? I installed LiveRowing a few days ago but to date, I'm still using Endomondo and ErgData to track my erg sessions. I'm really intrigued by RowPro, but I'm not too keen on setting my laptop up next to my rower.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    There's a rowing group here on MFP - not very active, but it might be worth trying to go colonize & rev it up. (community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/6431-rowing). There's also an MFP virtual team on the C2 site.

I've been rowing for around 14 years, after starting at age 46 (while obese). I'd never been an athlete before that. I'm mostly an on-water rower, but also own & use a C2 indoor rower (almost entirely in the off-season).

I've done indoor competitions (used to be a regional in Indianapolis, which is closer to me), and medaled (not that tough in the time, as the later age group women's categories had few participants ;) ). No CRASH-B, though.

I used to do the C2 Holiday Challenge (the 200K one) every year, but my elderly knees won't happily take that much daily erg time any more. For some reason, the erg is harder on my knees than on-water. (Slides are better, but I don't really have room; dynamics are better, but I don't have spare $$). So I mix a small bit of machine rowing in winter with spin classes, weights, and random other stuff. ).

Last year, I did participate in the World Rowing Indoor Sprints, a virtual race sponsored by World Rowing & C2 . . . and, to my extreme surprise, got the 3rd place medal in lightweight women 60-69. Turns out the lightweight category for my age was just a bit slower than the heavyweight categories I'd competed in previously! I'm sure it helped that it was the first year, so fewer participants, because I'm for sure not fast.

In season (when the river isn't crunchy), I've been rowing 4-6 times/week for the last few years. Most of that is sculling (2 oars per person), usually in a double or single, but some sweep (one oar per person). I've also competed & medaled in that (but have been dead last more often!). Have rowed in Masters Nationals, and Head of the Charles, as well as some regional events. Also got USRowing level 2 coaching certification (though I let it lapse by not doing my continuing ed. )

Rowing is Good Stuff - as physically challenging as you want to make it, but easier on the joints than a lot of high-intensity activities. I think that makes it particularly useful for people trying to get fitter while perhaps still overweight. Gotta say, on-water is just more fun than machines, though. ;)

It's so important to get the technique right, and can be tough to do. Lots of trainers don't even give good instruction. It's rare to see anyone at the gym with good technique here. The Concept 2 site's beginner videos are really good, but it's hard to see yourself well enough to correct yourself while rowing!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Forgot to ask: Have you played around with any of the rowing-specific apps that are out there? I installed LiveRowing a few days ago but to date, I'm still using Endomondo and ErgData to track my erg sessions. I'm really intrigued by RowPro, but I'm not too keen on setting my laptop up next to my rower.

I use ErgData to get the data from the C2 to the C2 log. The log gives me as much analysis as I want at the moment.

AnnPT77, thanks for saying hi! We'll take a look at that existing group. I'm very much looking forward to getting OTW next year.

I was telling my son about the first prize hammers at the CRASH-Bs and said I had no expectation of winning one. But in the back of my head, "Maybe someday..." :)

Do you follow a training schedule in the off season or do you just move between the erg and other exercises as the mood strikes?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »

I use ErgData to get the data from the C2 to the C2 log. The log gives me as much analysis as I want at the moment.

AnnPT77, thanks for saying hi! We'll take a look at that existing group. I'm very much looking forward to getting OTW next year.

I was telling my son about the first prize hammers at the CRASH-Bs and said I had no expectation of winning one. But in the back of my head, "Maybe someday..." :)

Do you follow a training schedule in the off season or do you just move between the erg and other exercises as the mood strikes?

I don't "train" in my own understanding of the term anymore, because of the knee issues (torn meniscus, for which I'm trying to defer surgery as long as possible, and some arthritis in knee & elsewhere). It's been better since I lost weight, though - I just don't wanna screw it up. So these days, I just try to stay strong & active, with rowing as only one tool in the toolbox.

When I was training, I was lucky enough to have available a periodized training plan that my first coach (a Division I NCAA rowing coach!) gave us. It had an annual cycle of various workout intensities, and you could apply it to peak in time for some particular racing event.

Some of my MFP rowing friends use the training program here (https://indoorsportservices.co.uk/training/interactive, seemingly with good results.

These days, for me, it's more "as the mood strikes".

I'm a lazy slug by nature, mostly inclined only to do what's fun for me, so I do slack off a bit in winter. In winter, I take 2 spin classes weekly, have been swimming once a week or so (don't love swimming, and am terrible at it, but rowers gotta swim), working on getting my off-seasion weight-training on a couple times a week basis, erging with my rowing team usually once a week and sometimes at home besides, then trying to make sure I do something 6 days a week, most of the time.

This past summer, I was rowing usually 4 days a week, taking spin classes twice a week, and throwing in random bike rides and brisk walks when I felt like it.

But heck, I'm a li'l ol' lady - just trying to evade the one-way move to an assisted living facility for as long as I can. ;)
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »

What I like about LiveRowing and RowPro is that they both gamify erging by allowing you to race other users in real time. I'm pretty competitive by nature so something like that would really motivate my training, I think. :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I've had my C2 rower for about 6 months.

Rowed an ave of 100k meters/mo for the 1st 3 months to lose weight, which I did, but have only used it minmally since then to burn a few cals on those days when I go over my daily cal limit.
  • katielee83858
    katielee83858 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So glad there is a rowing thread! I'm new to the erg and rowing in general; I plan to join a rowing association in the spring and actually get out on the water!

I have a few questions for those of you that are a little more experienced -- what is a good beginner split for 500m? Let me preface your answer by also sharing that I was in a horrible accident about 3 months ago and spent 3 weeks in the hospital. My energy still isn't what it used to be, and thus I fear my times are really slow!

Right now I average about a 2:15 split. Also, how do I get my SPM rate down? I have a feeling my technique is faulty in the drive; I have a tendency to row at a rate of 24-26 SPM during a 5000m piece and it just wears me out to death!!

• AnnPT77
    Options
    So glad there is a rowing thread! I'm new to the erg and rowing in general; I plan to join a rowing association in the spring and actually get out on the water!

I have a few questions for those of you that are a little more experienced -- what is a good beginner split for 500m? Let me preface your answer by also sharing that I was in a horrible accident about 3 months ago and spent 3 weeks in the hospital. My energy still isn't what it used to be, and thus I fear my times are really slow!

Right now I average about a 2:15 split. Also, how do I get my SPM rate down? I have a feeling my technique is faulty in the drive; I have a tendency to row at a rate of 24-26 SPM during a 5000m piece and it just wears me out to death!!

It's hard to say what's good "for a beginner". People start all over the place, and progress depends on a lot of variables - technical, endurance, strength. Total newbie beginners often can achieve material improvements quite quickly via technique fixes, but if the issue is endurance or strength, it'll take more of a time investment. As a generality, of course, this is the place where you get answers about comparison to the field overall: log.concept2.com/rankings

Your best rating is going to be the one that gives you the best pace, of course. That will vary by person, will tend to be a lower rating than many will try for (for some reason, a lot of people think you get a better pace by whipping up and down the slide like a maniac), and will probably increase as your technical ability increases (as a new rower, both endurance and technique (thus pace) tend to suffer at higher ratings).

If 24-26 feels too fast, try focusing on relaxing on the slide and letting the slight incline of the rail do the recovery work, and getting a quick hands-away right before that relaxation, so the flywheel keeps moving. This may feel like a sort of "broken rhythm" at first, fast on the drive (with strong leg pressure), slow on the recovery. But wearing yourself out is a good thing to do, on at least some workouts ;)
  • sgt1372
    edited December 2016
    Options

A 2:15/500m split time is pretty quick and a 24-26 spm rate at that speed is pretty low, especially if you're doing it for 5k meters. For comparison, I believe that the top stroke rate for single scull Olympic rowers is around 32-36.

That's a lot faster than I row. When I'm just "cruising" (which is normally the case), I normally do 2k meters in 10 mins at 24 spm and at an ave of 2:30/500m. I've done 2k meters in under 9 mins at 26 spm, which is under 2:15/500m, but it wiped me out. So, I seldom try to do that anymore.

You can drop your stroke rate to feel less exhausted but it may feel awkward to do that (not a natural rythym for you) and, of course, your times will drop, unless you significantly increase the watts pulled (or the amount of work done) per stroke, which will result in zero sum situation that will leave you feeling just as exhausted as b4.

On the other hand, if you want to maintain the same stroke rate and split time but feel less exhausted, I 'd just suggest that you drop the distance to 1 or 2k meters.

Any reason why you need to do a single 5k meter row? If not, you can just do 2-3 2k meter rows or 5 1k meter rows (or a combo of 1 & 2k meter rows to equal 5k) w/some rest in between to feel less exhausted than doing just a single 5k meter row.

FWIW, I started doing 5k meter rows but it was more than my butt could handle. So, I switched to 2k instead and just row 2-3x's if I need to burn cals.

Just find what works best for you.

Good luck!
  • scootergirl110
    scootergirl110 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, I indoor row. I got mine not long ago. As of last night I have logged 7400 strokes total. I'm feeling good and stronger. I'm still trying to get in the habit of using it at least 6x/wk. I'm managed 4x/wk since I bought less than a month ago.
  • katielee83858
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

A 2:15/500m split time is pretty quick and a 24-26 spm rate at that speed is pretty low, especially if you're doing it for 5k meters. For comparison, I believe that the top stroke rate for single scull Olympic rowers is around 32-36.

That's a lot faster than I row. When I'm just "cruising" (which is normally the case), I normally do 2k meters in 10 mins at 24 spm and at an ave of 2:30/500m. I've done 2k meters in under 9 mins at 26 spm, which is under 2:15/500m, but it wiped me out. So, I seldom try to do that anymore.

You can drop your stroke rate to feel less exhausted but it may feel awkward to do that (not a natural rythym for you) and, of course, your times will drop, unless you significantly increase the watts pulled (or the amount of work done) per stroke, which will result in zero sum situation that will leave you feeling just as exhausted as b4.

On the other hand, if you want to maintain the same stroke rate and split time but feel less exhausted, I 'd just suggest that you drop the distance to 1 or 2k meters.

Any reason why you need to do a single 5k meter row? If not, you can just do 2-3 2k meter rows or 5 1k meter rows (or a combo of 1 & 2k meter rows to equal 5k) w/some rest in between to feel less exhausted than doing just a single 5k meter row.

FWIW, I started doing 5k meter rows but it was more than my butt could handle. So, I switched to 2k instead and just row 2-3x's if I need to burn cals.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the info! I have to take breaks after about 2k meters, I generally just row 2k 3-4x a week but do the longer pieces occasionally. I suppose I just feel really out of shape, but perhaps I'm making better progress than I thought! I read somewhere online that a collegiate rower is expected to post times around 1:45/500m and it left me feeling defeated and slow, despite rowing my tail off. :)

Also, thoughts on proper damper settings? Currently I'm rowing at a 4; I've heard 4-6 simulates the resistance of water, but I think my weight warrants a drag factor of 3-5...
  • sgt1372
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info!

You're welcome.

<snip>
    I read somewhere online that a collegiate rower is expected to post times around 1:45/500m and it left me feeling defeated and slow, despite rowing my tail off. :)

Unless you intend to row competitively, I don't think it's useful to compare your rowing times w/anyone else.

That only sets you up for failure because there's always someone faster - - better looking, richer, etc.

You can only do the best that you can do. So, I say focus on that and don't worry about anyone else.
    Also, thoughts on proper damper settings? Currently I'm rowing at a 4; I've heard 4-6 simulates the resistance of water, but I think my weight warrants a drag factor of 3-5...

I played around w/it when I 1st got my C2 and ended up just using 5.

C2 recommends starting w/a drag factor of 3-5. So, you're in the right range.

See: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/damper-setting-101

Happy rowing! :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    .... what is a good beginner split for 500m? Let me preface your answer by also sharing that I was in a horrible accident about 3 months ago and spent 3 weeks in the hospital. My energy still isn't what it used to be, and thus I fear my times are really slow!

The reality is, it depends... Doing a 500m best effort will give you a very different result in comparison to your 5oom pace for a 2K, 5K or 10K session. As upthread, comparison is the thief of joy.

I use a WaterRower, rather than a Concept, and it's largely a cross training tool for me. A 10K session will take me about 40 minutes so it's a nice opportunity to get a balance of CV and resistance work in. My main sport is marathon and ultra running.

I'd suggest being clear on what you're wanting to get from your rowing, the same as any other sport, and train to that objective. It sounds like you're initially interested in increasing our endurance, so a slower pace will let you work for longer, equally you might find interval training a good way to improve your endurance.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the info! I have to take breaks after about 2k meters, I generally just row 2k 3-4x a week but do the longer pieces occasionally. I suppose I just feel really out of shape, but perhaps I'm making better progress than I thought! I read somewhere online that a collegiate rower is expected to post times around 1:45/500m and it left me feeling defeated and slow, despite rowing my tail off. :)

Yes, that's true (the 1:45ish part). But they're not expected to do that the first time in their lives that they get on a rowing machine. Walk-ons who've never rowed before are selected for their athleticism; then they get top-notch, consistent daily coaching; they train hard (rowing machine, other aerobic conditioning, weight room) daily . . . then they're expected to achieve those kind of splits. Oh, and did I mention that they're 18-22 years old? ;)

Don't worry about it. Just worry about getting faster. You can, and you will.

For women, 3-4. As a newbie, closer to 3. (Body weight isn't really a factor). Even the Div I NCAA collegiate women rowers I sometimes row with do most of their erg workouts around 4, and certainly test around there. You & I would set lighter because we're not as strong as collegiate/elite rowers (yet ;) )

Focus on good body mechanics, suspending your weight between the handle and foot-stretchers - when it works, your body literally un-weights slightly on the seat from the catch through the finish (not enough that the seat gets away from you, just enough that your butt de-compresses a little). You can use the C2 power curve display to spot whether you have discontinuities in your stroke, and work on improving transitions to keep suspension through the stroke. (concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/using-the-force-curve )
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Good luck!

I'd quibble with the bolded. Dropping your rating will only be slower if your stroke mechanics and power stay the same. In practice, you may get a tiny bit faster split, but there's a diminishing output-power return because mechanics & input power suffer.

As a newbie, especially, mechanics and power don't stay the same as rating increases. If your aim is to get faster (big picture, over the long term, not just for the next few seconds), what you want to do is work most often at a rating where you can maintain good stroke mechanics. That's how you practice good mechanics.

However, if you're just trying to get today's most vigorous workout, maybe you push the rating up and don't worry about the mechanics. It matters what your goals are.

Most of us, when learning, start to fall apart technically if we push the rating too high too soon - and then all we're doing is practicing (grooving in) bad stroke mechanics. My coaches did not encourage us to push up the rating until we could hold a strong stroke while doing so. Early in my rowing learning, they had us do a lot of rowing in the teens - sometimes as low as 14-16. And they still start most team practices at lower ratings, and build up to higher ones.

At any given point of learning, one tends to have a rating where one's getting the best output for the least input - where efficiency of the stroke is maximized (not where one's getting the fastest split). So you do your volume practice there (or a bit below), so the good stroke mechanics become second nature, and you gradually increase your rating as you improve and can hold onto the efficiency at a higher rating.

Furthermore, at a slower rating, a newbie can usually get better power application at the catch (more time per stroke allows one to focus better).

You may surprise yourself with how fast a split you can get at a low rating. I'm not an extraordinarily strong rower, but I can pull sub-2:10 at a 22 (not for long, though!). Try working on technique points, one at a time, and trying to use them to improve pace at a some given sustainable rating. It's insight-provoking.

The effect of mechanics of rating can be seen on the erg, but it's glaringly obvious on the water (largely because on-water rowing has more mechanics to it, 'cause bladework and boat-check!). My double partner and I can row in the low 30s (briefly - LOL!) . . . but the boat goes faster if we settle to the mid-20s.

P.S. The most effective rowing rhythm may not feel natural at first. If doing what felt natural really worked best, the random people you see on ergs at the gym would have good splits. Mostly, they don't.

P.P.S. Training for rowers (like at the collegiate level) typically starts with building an aerobic base - they do mostly longer distances at lower intensity. So, if you're getting exhausted doing 5K at 26, but your long term goal is to be a better and faster rower (not simply to get a good workout today), then your better strategy as a newbie would be to let your rating come down, your split get slower (to something that's sustainable as a daily practice intensity), keep the length (the 5K), and work on mechanics. Throw in a more intense but shorter workout maybe once a week, if your fitness allows, and test yourself at some fixed distance maybe once a month to see how you're progressing.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Just picked up a very slightly used Kettler coach rower on Craigslist planing on starting to use it very soon can't wait to mix it up I have been biking 18-21 miles 6 days a week the past two years so need to mix it up a bit..

fgamnlkbgyyc.jpg

• AnnPT77
    Options

Afterthought - A suggestion, regarding comparisons:

Pick a test distance (500m, 1000, 2000, whatever). Do a warm-up at an easy pace for 10 miniutes or so, throwing in 2 or 3 power tens during the 5 minutes. Then row your test piece.

Record and rank it via the Concept 2 logbook. Note where you are in the percentile rankings for your age group/sex/weight class.

Train effectively. Test again in a month. Have you improved your time? Great! Have you improved your percentile ranking? Fabulous - you're improving vs. the competition.
  • katielee83858
    Options
    Thank you so very much for all the info, wow! You're a total rockstar!!!!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    @CafeRacer808: I'll be interested to hear about how the Pete Plan works for you. I was thinking I might transition to it after the race. And I'm jealous that several of you have a C2 at home. Oh, the luxury!

@AnnPT77 : Is the team name on C2 "MFP Friends"? Virtual Team Challenge starts on Sunday!

I had a coaching session this morning (6 intervals that got progressively shorter and faster), and we've set my next 2k test for this coming Tuesday. I'm going to shoot for 2:10/500 at about 28spm. That'll be about five weeks before the race.

It had been about a month since I last saw the coach, and she said that she noticed a weight loss, which is funny because I'm down only about 2 pounds since she last saw me. I'd say she was just being nice, but my husband mentioned yesterday that my arms are much more defined. So maybe I'm doing a fat-to-muscle swap.