Maintenance...the Struggle

Options
I'm in maintenance mode but am really struggling with accepting this weight. I have a strong desire to lose more despite the fact that I know it would be unhealthy. Has anyone every had a similar issue? I feel like diet and weight loss (after baby) have become such a part of my identity I can't remember what it was like to not make it a top priority.

Replies

• rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Congrats on hitting your goal, that is awesome! Great job :)
    You don't have to lose focus now, just change focus. Your diet (not dieting) is still super important. So is hopping on the scale - you are just looking to keep the number you have instead of losing. For the most part, you are doing the same thing as before, while being able to eat a bit more, or exercise a bit less. This lifestyle should still be a priority. Enjoy maintenance, and be happy with what you have accomplished :)
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    While eating nourishing food and appropriate movement is important for your health- so is an ability to enjoy less nutritious foods, enjoying foods socially and a flexible approach to exercise. If you feel that the "focus" is becoming too ingrained in you- please don't hesitate to reach out for support beyond this app!!! Eating disorders and disordered eating can become a lifelong obsession and strip one of much fun that life has to offer. The national eating disorder website has amazing resources for every level of challenge that you feel you may be facing.

Much love to you! Good for you for looking out for yourself!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    For a while, losing weight was a big part of what I thought about. Then I hit my goal. I got a new hobby (that's not facetious - it's really true). I still log 5 years later, but I don't think about it - it's like brushing my teeth. That said, maintaining weight for the rest of my life IS my new goal. Getting on the scale every morning and seeing I'm succeeding still makes me happy.

Losing weight is not an end unto itself. Being healthy is. It sounds like you are worried that you may be switching from thinking about your health and looks to something less healthy. If you think that's true, you may want to think hard about that and, if you need it, get help with that. That can get tied up with things like post-partum depression as well - and that can come about for a year after you had your baby. Particularly if you've been nursing.
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Mersie1 wrote: »
    While eating nourishing food and appropriate movement is important for your health- so is an ability to enjoy less nutritious foods, enjoying foods socially and a flexible approach to exercise. If you feel that the "focus" is becoming too ingrained in you- please don't hesitate to reach out for support beyond this app!!! Eating disorders and disordered eating can become a lifelong obsession and strip one of much fun that life has to offer. The national eating disorder website has amazing resources for every level of challenge that you feel you may be facing.

Much love to you! Good for you for looking out for yourself!

Yes, thank you. I have had a history with eating disorders. My lowest weight was...let's just say extremely scary. I do not want to revisit that time which is why I posted this. Eating disorders are no joke and I would never wish them on anyone.
  • Tabbycat00
    Options
    92019start wrote: »
    I can relate! It's fun to succeed and seeing the scale go ever lower as a marker of success until you reach your goal. Then you have to accept that the number bouncing up and down around your goal weight is success. How about making a new goal and measure of progress? It could mean getting a step tracker and setting a goal of walking to Hawaii by a certain date, or lifting x number of pounds, or beating a certain time for a 5k. Could you think of something appealing to work towards?

I love this idea. I remember when I was training for my marathons I would set distance goals. I may try that again...only walking.
  • Tabbycat00
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    For a while, losing weight was a big part of what I thought about. Then I hit my goal. I got a new hobby (that's not facetious - it's really true). I still log 5 years later, but I don't think about it - it's like brushing my teeth. That said, maintaining weight for the rest of my life IS my new goal. Getting on the scale every morning and seeing I'm succeeding still makes me happy.

Losing weight is not an end unto itself. Being healthy is. It sounds like you are worried that you may be switching from thinking about your health and looks to something less healthy. If you think that's true, you may want to think hard about that and, if you need it, get help with that. That can get tied up with things like post-partum depression as well - and that can come about for a year after you had your baby. Particularly if you've been nursing.

I've always logged calories, ever since recovering from anorexia in 1998 (I used something called a notebook and a pen, crazy right?). It has been the only thing which has kept me eating. I maintained the same weight from 1998-2015 when I became pregnant. I gained 24 lbs with my daughter and was 8 lbs over that after I had her. Yep. Took me that long to lose the 8 lbs due to postpartum depression. But the act of losing weight triggered that weight loss obsession again.

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's terrific you were able to maintain so long, but it is easy to slip back into unhealthy though patterns. Your daughter is important. Throw your energy into keeping healthy for her. And celebrate every single day of maintaining - I really do. Good luck!
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Weight is really only a rough guide to health. More muscle = better health = heavier. More bone = better health. More brown fat = better health. So it's really only visceral fat=unhealthy. So it sounds you're doing great. Congratulations on getting to your desired weight.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Check out the national eating disorder association website- great resources as well as tips/suggestions. It sounds like you are acknowledging some red flags. That's amazing that you recovered from AN-no easy task I know! But... life can be triggering and we need to remain vigilant so as not to start using behaviors again. I have a very similar history. I discovered that all of the "compliments" I received both during pregnancy and then after really shifted my focus back to my weight/appearance. Even being on MFP takes a certain amount of vigilance so as not to go back down that road.

I applaud you for airing your concerns here. Reaching out for support is a great way to take care of yourself.

Happy new year!

• jnananamaste
    jnananamaste Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Different issues with food (I'm more on the overeat/over exercise side of things... I'm also not to maintanence yet, just looking ahead a bit on the journey lol) BUT...I also had PPD. Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself. Getting treatment for my PPD was a total life changer for me. I started with my midwife (or OBGYN) for resources. Having a handle on it definitely impacted my health and weight (and everything in my life) for the better. Best of luck to you!!!