Options
2»

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    mhancocktv wrote: »
    I LOVE phentermine! I feel amazing when I'm on it. Like... "how does my brain not function this way all the time?" I have so much energy, no interest in food, and I'm super-motivated and productive... and I lose weight like crazy. I wish I could feel like this all the time! I think to myself "Is this what 'normal' feels like to some people?" The down side? Every time I cycle-off, I begin to re-gain weight immediately. I've done it probably eight different times over 20+ years. Same thing happened to me with HCG, but without all the positive effects of phentermine. I wonder if Qsymia (adding topiramate with phentermine) would offer the same challenge? I'm going to talk with my doctor to see if I can take Qsymia with Wellbutrin.

The part I bolded: the answer is no, that's what speed feels like to most people. Seriously, it is very similar to amphetamine. As for adding it in with Topamax, it is frequently called Dopamax for a reason.

I'll defend Topomax, since the Dopomax side effects can wear off for some people over time.

However, I am on it for it a legit reason, not some off-label weight loss ish.

Carry on.

I'm glad the side effects have subsided for you. For some people they don't. I have no issues with legit use, it was the cavalier ongoing use of weight loss pills that was rather shocking.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Ceeceeann wrote: »
    I've lost 15 pounds so far and have been following my diet and exercise routine.

This is because you've been making sure you stick to a calorie deficit. Job well done!

Skip the shakes and pills. I think you know they're woo.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    mhancocktv wrote: »
    I LOVE phentermine! I feel amazing when I'm on it. Like... "how does my brain not function this way all the time?" I have so much energy, no interest in food, and I'm super-motivated and productive... and I lose weight like crazy. I wish I could feel like this all the time! I think to myself "Is this what 'normal' feels like to some people?" The down side? Every time I cycle-off, I begin to re-gain weight immediately. I've done it probably eight different times over 20+ years. Same thing happened to me with HCG, but without all the positive effects of phentermine. I wonder if Qsymia (adding topiramate with phentermine) would offer the same challenge? I'm going to talk with my doctor to see if I can take Qsymia with Wellbutrin.

If you want the effects of that drug, which you describe above, then more power to you. ;)

If you want to lose weight, then eat at a calorie deficit, stick to it, and you will lose weight. If you want to maintain after weight loss, while losing weight you need to create a long term sustainable eating plan that enables you to learn how to stay within calorie goals to get your desired results.
  • mkcunningham03
    mkcunningham03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started the shakes July 17th of 2015. Due to financial reasons I couldn't afford it and had to stop after 2 months. But I drank them twice daily with a small dinner which would total my calories for the day at about 800. While I was going for those two months I lost 25 lbs.

So fast forward to this year, Last week after an ekg and blood work I started them again. Where I go you have to attend meetings weekly and there I met someone that lost 75 lbs in 6 months. I'm pretty envious and can't wait until I get there. My favorite beverage is the hot chocolate. And sometimes I will get the lemon pudding and add a couple more ounces of water to make it like a drink instead of pudding. Good luck with your journey!
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    WalkingDeadFrank Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The only caution I have with Phentermine is that it is an appetite control, meaning when you stop taking it your appetite returns full force.

SOME are able to maintain their weight loss but MOST regain their weight because they didn't really learn how to accurately calculate their Calories in vs calories out.

best!

Fact...most people gain their weight back on because they do not change their habits.

Phentermine will work but unless your behavior changes with food, you'll gain all or more back within a few months.

Good luck.

Frank
  • Ceeceeann
    Ceeceeann Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah Ive been really focusing on tracking everything and being good with portions so I feel pretty confident in myself that I can stick to it after the pills I think it was that initial jump start I needed.
  • Msshoregirl
    Msshoregirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been on wellbutrin topamax and vyvanse. I have a dosage that works. Lost 8lbs this month and now I started New Directions because my binge eating is gone and my appetite is surpressed and I wasn't eating right, nor healthy. I needed a start on healthy weight loss, not starvation with occasional m&ms and cereal. Day one of NewDirections was today. It's 7pm and I still have 150 calories left. Not the least bit hungry.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Fact...most people gain their weight back on because they do not change their habits.

Phentermine will work but unless your behavior changes with food, you'll gain all or more back within a few months.

Good luck.

Frank

It gets better...

Since they are rarely getting enough protein or exercising properly, they lose muscle as well as fat on pills like this.
    Losing muscle lowers their BMR, which in turn makes it harder to lose more "weight" and even harder to keep the "weight" (fat) off.

When the "weight" returns, they are actually at a higher body fat percentage and usually more unhealthy (metabolically-speaking) than when they started.
    It is a vicious cycle.

Same goes for anyone who refuses to exercise to preserve muscle. Use it or lose it.
    Walking, jogging and running do not provide enough stimulus to preserve muscle under most circumstances.

All because they want to take a shortcut even when you try to tell them to do otherwise.

There is no quick fix and no magic pill that will do the work for you. Sorry.

Just look at the people who have put weight back on a few years after gastric bypass surgery:
    Weight gain after gastric bypass surgery occurs in about half of all patients within 2 years. [1]

[1] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19554382
  • bettykay98
    bettykay98 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anyone used the new direction meal shakes? Or been prescribed Phentermine? I start both tomorrow?

How is the program going for you? Today is day one and I'm nervous!

I went from 330 to 200 and now I'm back up to 264. My doctor want to revise my gastric banding to a gastric bypass, but I've decided to "retrain" on how to eat before going that drastic route. Today is my first day and so far I'm not digging the vanilla shake, but I'm going to stick with it.
  • bettykay98
    bettykay98 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anyone used the new direction meal shakes? Or been prescribed Phentermine? I start both tomorrow?

How have you been doing on New Direction?

I started New Direction today and I'm not a big fan of weight loss shakes. What I like about this program is the shakes are a tool to "reset" your way of eating. My doctor's office has a six month program to assist you in getting back to making your own meals once you are ready!