Christmas Day - rest day or not?

Options
13»

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    As soon as I put my laundry in the dryer I'll do my regularly scheduled upper body freeweights. Then time to clean up and head off to the party!
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I took today as a rest day. I usually take a rest day each week, got to let body recover.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I earned -76 calories :open_mouth:
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    miratps wrote: »
    So those who exercise daily/often, will you be resting on Christmas Day or will you be working out in the mornings?

I've not had a rest day in months and am considering actually sleeping past 5 for once and not moving at all but as I've not done it for months, I am also dreading it!

No, because I want to spend all my time with loved ones. :)

I went walking and cycling with mine. :) We're into walking and cycling together ... and what better way to spend Christmas Day than to get a good 44.6 km ride in, checking out the local beaches, before Christmas dinner on a gorgeously warm and sunny day ... and then to go for a walk in the evening on a beautifully cool and calm evening.

Sounds lovely, but it was -20 C here, so taking the toddlers for a walk didn't seem like a great idea.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    So those who exercise daily/often, will you be resting on Christmas Day or will you be working out in the mornings?

I've not had a rest day in months and am considering actually sleeping past 5 for once and not moving at all but as I've not done it for months, I am also dreading it!

No, because I want to spend all my time with loved ones. :)

I went walking and cycling with mine. :) We're into walking and cycling together ... and what better way to spend Christmas Day than to get a good 44.6 km ride in, checking out the local beaches, before Christmas dinner on a gorgeously warm and sunny day ... and then to go for a walk in the evening on a beautifully cool and calm evening.

Sounds lovely, but it was -20 C here, so taking the toddlers for a walk didn't seem like a great idea.

It was +26C here. :) At last!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

No rest day in months? :#

I don't take rest days either. Gotta move every day! :) The only time I don't move at all is when I am really sick, and that level of sickness doesn't happen very often.

Yes, I like to move every day as well. However, I exercise moderately and am not in constant pain like the OP. I lift weights 2-3 times per week, try to walk every day that's not raining, practice yoga, and in a few months will be gardening again, and a few months after that will be swimming again.

Yesterday was 42 degrees F (5.5 C) and sunny and I enjoyed a 2.5 hike around the pond in a nearby state park in the AM. Day before I went to the gym to lift.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

Look at it as part of your overall calorie plan. If you're going to burn less calories by skipping exercise, just be conscious of how many calories you consume from eating. If you still have a calorie deficit, then its okay.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Look at it as part of your overall calorie plan. If you're going to burn less calories by skipping exercise, just be conscious of how many calories you consume from eating. If you still have a calorie deficit, then its okay.

A day at maintenance never killed anyone either...!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Rest days are as much an important component of your fitness as the work is...yes, yesterday I took a rest day and watched my kids open their gifts and we watched movies and had a nice dinner with family....

I'm pretty fit...I take at least one rest day per week, usually two...it's important to recovery and fitness gains.