Fibre supplements

Can anyone recommend a powder fibre supplement that's available in the U.K., to go in my smoothies? The reviews for psyllium suggest that it tastes pretty rank. My intention is to feel fuller for longer (and I can't fit any more veggies in my smoothie) - I'd ideally like to forego my 11am snack. Thanks!

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Chia seeds, hemp seeds, and flax are all good sources of fiber that don't add any flavor to a smoothie. That said, I've personally found that protein keeps me feeling fuller and for a longer period of time than fiber. I now add a vegan protein powder to my green smoothies and it's perfect.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Psyllium husk powder is fine, i use it everyday. Just don't add too much or else you'll end up with a smoothie that tastes and looks like sand! And yes, it does taste rank mixed with just water or juice.

I make a protein fibre drink everyday:

35g protein powder
    25g psyllium
    250ml Almond milk

Blend it all together with a hand immersion blender, tastes great and turns out like a chocolate pudding. Add boiling water to make a huge soup mugs worth.

Sorry, i didnt recommend anything other than psyllium :lol:
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Thank you both! Yes I'm already adding protein powder.
  • darkenergie
    darkenergie Posts: 27 Member
    I add psyllium husk powder to anything, including just plain water. It taste like literally nothing. It has a soft and thick texture.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I add psyllium husk powder to anything, including just plain water. It taste like literally nothing. It has a soft and thick texture.

I tried with just plain water, and i dry reached after every gulp :confounded:
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited December 2016
    I just started the Olly brand gummy that's made from chicory root.

Ah sorry just saw you want powdered.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    fybogel comes in lemon and orange flavours.
    perfectly fine.
    holland+barrett sell loads of alternatives,as do your local pharmacy.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Psyllium has no taste but it is not designed to be eaten "straight."

I put 2 tbsp in my daily protein shake and you can even tell it's there after it's blended. Same would apply to any baked or cooked foods where it can be mixed w/other ingredients.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    A cautionary note on psyllium -- people who are on coumadin shouldn't be using it without consulting with their doctors. It can also interfere with a number of other meds, so if you're taking something, talk to your doctor before using psyllium.
  • Wombat468
    vingogly wrote: »
    A cautionary note on psyllium -- people who are on coumadin shouldn't be using it without consulting with their doctors. It can also interfere with a number of other meds, so if you're taking something, talk to your doctor before using psyllium.

Thanks! Am not taking anything.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Try Benefiber, has less texture in my opinion and don't notice it at all when mixed in
  • Wombat468
    karahm78 wrote: »
    Try Benefiber, has less texture in my opinion and don't notice it at all when mixed in

That's exactly what I've ordered - thanks!
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    amazon - optimum nutrition fitness fiber
  • maisiba
    maisiba Posts: 66 Member
    What works for me is adding a multivitamin fizzy tablet with orange taste to my psyllium husk in water. Then it tastes like a slightly watered down orange juice with pulp. I had to test a few multivitamin brands though, some taste better than others.

Alternatively, I add some Inulin to my joghurt and cereal. I've read though that it doesn't agree with everyone.