Calluses/Lifting gloves

2»

Replies

• Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    edited December 2016
    sijomial wrote: »
    I wear gloves as they improve my grip. I don't judge my masculinity by wearing gloves or not - what a very sad outlook.

Don't like leather ones, the modern tacky grip ones work well but I wear out two pairs a year - hoping Santa is bringing me some new ones.

It is a sad outlook. I hope some day I can be as superior in machismo as you are. :D
    Calm down, He-man. I have a pair of gloves, myself.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I got some "tacky" lifting gloves from Walmart. I don't mind the calluses. I grew up doing gymnastics, so having calluses is normal to me. My opinion on gloves is kind of like wearing grips for bars. I don't have chalk and was having trouble with my grip, tried the gloves, and they help. I still have calluses...

hnnnngggg you look great!

Thanks!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited December 2016
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member

I have a pair of golds gym gloves I wear when I lift but I still get calluses. Anyone have any tips on a better pair? My left hand is worse than my right and they hurt

I've owned many pairs of lifting gloves & my Schiek gloves are by far the nicest gloves I've ever owned.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sck/530.html?PLASKU=SCHIEK024&mcid=CG_PLA_US_GS_schiek&bbdevice=m&bbtargetid=120147270000105877&catargetid=120147270000105877&cadevice=m&gclid=CNHT24-ZjtECFVi2wAodyxgN6Q
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Am I the only one who LIKES to have calluses???

nope. i'm doing a lot of job interviewing these days and i love shaking hands :tongue:

i will say though, that i've adjusted my deadlift grip so the bar is already at the top of my palms from the start. i'd been taking more of a full-hand grip and those calluses were getting to be a bit much.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I am a massage therapist so I HAVE to use gloves to keep my hands from callus free. I have been using a cheap pair of bell bicycle gloves with good luck. The weight gloves I was buying for under $30 kept falling apart but these walmart purchase help a bunch!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    I like the calluses. They show that my body is adapting to what I'm putting it through. Also lose the gloves and just opt for some chalk.
  • darkenergie
    darkenergie Posts: 27 Member
    Frankly, I found using chalk just tons better and live with calluses. Gloves always messed with my grip.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I used to use the bionic gloves. They were well padded and always prevented any calluses. But recent switched to straps. But i do find the below interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZXKTPJY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_AwfyybWN9WF49
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    Since we're actually talking about gloves, I've been using a pair of Black Diamond 1/2 fingered climbing gloves w/leather palms and nylon mesh backs that I got from REI.

See:https://www.rei.com/product/899112/black-diamond-crag-half-finger-climbing gloves

They're light weight, protect your palms from calluses, provide a great grip, only cost $16 and you can still operate the touch screen on your phone (or other device) w/o tsking them off. Love 'em!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,907 Member
    I never remove my wedding ring while lifting, used to get scratched up by the bar. I wear gloves to protect my ring, not my hands.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited December 2016
    .... I can't see myself using gloves to deadlift 400 lbs and I do it every three days.

That's your choice, no problem.
    I honestly think gloves might actually be very dangerous and hamper grip for weights that heavy.

However, this is pure nonsense.

Dangerous, how? If you lose your grip doing a 400# DL, you just drop the weight. No big deal.

I DL 1x1x330+# w/my gloves 3x a week plus 3 3-10 rep work sets at the 330# 1RM equivalent. That's not 400# but it's still heavy. I also use straps, so there's no f... ing way I'm losing my grip, gloves or not.

This "you shouldn't to wear gloves" BS, is just that. I say use 'em if you like them, don't if you don't. Simple as that.

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Am I the only one who LIKES to have calluses???

You are not alone!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    I never remove my wedding ring while lifting, used to get scratched up by the bar. I wear gloves to protect my ring, not my hands.

I bought some silicone rings because the bar was scratching mine up too. I hate not wearing my rings, and I don't like gloves so that was my option.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    I'm trying to imagine any of the coaches reactions to someone wearing gloves in my gym. And failing. Definitely any of the powerlifters or oly lifters wouldn't ever even think about it.