raw vegan lifestyle

Options
Hey guys, as I see a lot of people here are up to date with raw veganism? I actually want to ask if anyone actually had problems with it? I'm personally not so healthy (in illness matter) what means i need to take daily thyroid medicine and also some for allergies. .. yet today i had a complete meltdown, in a way that i was actually almos fainting. .. now I'm have caught a cold now and was sleeping more than normal and was probably a bit dehydrated and also had to take a higher dose of my thyroid medicine today. ... yet still i wanted to know if anyone actually had any problems with raw food lifestyle? I'm really looking for any info since i have just started and am still transfering on to a fully raw lifestyle.
And has anyone had thyroid problems or allergies and has it been cured for any chance? Any help is appreciated
Thanks a lot

Replies

• Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    No problems for me with an almost-always vegan diet, but I am not sure that raw diets are healthy. One thing you can do is to switch the macros MFP sets for you (carbs, sugars, etc) to nutrients you want to be sure you *are* eating enough of. I keep mine set for calories, protein, iron, calcium, potassium and vitamin C. Those are certainly not the only nutrients you need, but they are some main ones, and foods high in those tend to be high in other nutrients. If you are eating vegan, you need to be sure you are getting vitamin B12. My favorite sources are fortified soy milk and Red Star nutritional yeast. Be sure you are taking in enough calories--no starvation diets! And see your doctor in case your thyroid meds need adjusting or something else is wrong. For me, a healthy diet includes a lot of beans (cooked!), dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, turnip greens, nutritional yeast, sweet potatoes and bananas, cocoa powder, chia seed or ground flax for omega 3 fatty acids, fortified soy milk, whole grain bread, red grapes, tofu, almonds and walnuts, pepitas...you get the picture. I have really good energy and don't often get sick. I've lost weight and feel great. I have been a vegan-leaning vegetarian for 25 years, but the last few years I got slack about nutrition, gained weight, and felt like crud. What I'm eating now, though, is working. I hope that helps. A vegan diet can be super healthy, but I worry a bit about raw diets.
  • vytautegudelyte00
    Options
    sprepej wrote: »
    No problems for me with an almost-always vegan diet, but I am not sure that raw diets are healthy. One thing you can do is to switch the macros MFP sets for you (carbs, sugars, etc) to nutrients you want to be sure you *are* eating enough of. I keep mine set for calories, protein, iron, calcium, potassium and vitamin C. Those are certainly not the only nutrients you need, but they are some main ones, and foods high in those tend to be high in other nutrients. If you are eating vegan, you need to be sure you are getting vitamin B12. My favorite sources are fortified soy milk and Red Star nutritional yeast. Be sure you are taking in enough calories--no starvation diets! And see your doctor in case your thyroid meds need adjusting or something else is wrong. For me, a healthy diet includes a lot of beans (cooked!), dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, turnip greens, nutritional yeast, sweet potatoes and bananas, cocoa powder, chia seed or ground flax for omega 3 fatty acids, fortified soy milk, whole grain bread, red grapes, tofu, almonds and walnuts, pepitas...you get the picture. I have really good energy and don't often get sick. I've lost weight and feel great. I have been a vegan-leaning vegetarian for 25 years, but the last few years I got slack about nutrition, gained weight, and felt like crud. What I'm eating now, though, is working. I hope that helps. A vegan diet can be super healthy, but I worry a bit about raw diets.
    first try vegan instead of going full how raw foods
    your immunity seems low, could you add a multi-vitamin with extra C to your diet?
    when dieting many people can't reach nutritional goals, and a multi is a bit of insurance.

Thank you both a lot, I am trying to get more nutrients sinve i thought it might have been the case. And I am still slowly transitioning too, so i even sometimes eat vegetarian and so. Thank you for your time to answer
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have a good vegetarian friend who enjoys raw veganism. She did stop though because she found she could ot stay warm in the winter (Canada). I have another friend who had the same problem. She does not do it in the winter now, but tends towards it in the summer. The other friend quit vegetarianism entirely, but she wa doing it more fo a health experiment rather than based on a strong belief that this was a better way for her to live.

My vegetarian friend also had problems accommodating her family who eats meats and doesn't enjoy raw. It was a lot of extra work for her to eat that way.

Besides the extra work and cold, she really enjoyed it.
  • nicolehatt86
    nicolehatt86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, day one back into my raw vegan diet... All I have had that was "cooked" was coffee so far today. Any support for me? Yes, I do need attention. No, I do not regret that. I know me. I NEED PEOPLE.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I have a good vegetarian friend who enjoys raw veganism. She did stop though because she found she could ot stay warm in the winter (Canada). I have another friend who had the same problem. She does not do it in the winter now, but tends towards it in the summer. The other friend quit vegetarianism entirely, but she wa doing it more fo a health experiment rather than based on a strong belief that this was a better way for her to live.

My vegetarian friend also had problems accommodating her family who eats meats and doesn't enjoy raw. It was a lot of extra work for her to eat that way.

Besides the extra work and cold, she really enjoyed it.

Ya, my vegan friends in upstate New York tended towards raw in the summer but give it up once the weather turns cold.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Would cold brewed coffee be raw or it wouldn't be because of the roasted beans?

Anyway, I've always been super interested in raw diets, but I don't think I could get my family on board nor do I feel like I have the time to make enough variety to keep me satisfied. It's a lot of work to make all of those cashew creams and dehydrated meals. I think if I was a single woman, I'd maybe try it for a little while.
  • baristabeannz
    baristabeannz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan mostly raw. I eat 3 bananas for breakfast and fruit salad for lunch. I have two more banana for snack. For dinner I have salad chickpeas and sometimes crackers. I am thinking about raw till four lately. I'd find it cheaper to eat rice at night but in worried about gaining weight eating so much fruit during the day then rice at night with a pumpkin soup? Does anyone here have good results eating fruit until dinner then having rice at night? I need to lose a few kilos now after Christmas and save money also. Raw till four would suit my budget but I'm anxious to try cooked food
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love cooked food especially meat. Nothing is better than eating another animal. I kill my own mostly so its even better :smiley:
  • baristabeannz
    baristabeannz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Please educate yourselves by watching 101 reasons to go vegan. It's the best answer to your questions and the best speech I've ever heard . Why do we eat cows and not dogs? Animal protein leaks calcium from our bones. Protein from plants doesnt . I watched another epic documentary tonight called rawvegan documentary national geographic juice experiment on YouTube. Everyone on the month clense was fat and sick and medicated then a month on juice healed them. I'm sold guys
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I think eating mostly raw for a period of time actually caused me issues (thyroid, hormonal, digestive, intolerances).

There are some benefits to cooking food, and I think just like everything, balance and moderation is important - this includes your food prep methods!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan mostly raw. I eat 3 bananas for breakfast and fruit salad for lunch. I have two more banana for snack. For dinner I have salad chickpeas and sometimes crackers. I am thinking about raw till four lately. I'd find it cheaper to eat rice at night but in worried about gaining weight eating so much fruit during the day then rice at night with a pumpkin soup? Does anyone here have good results eating fruit until dinner then having rice at night? I need to lose a few kilos now after Christmas and save money also. Raw till four would suit my budget but I'm anxious to try cooked food

If you're worried about eating all that fruit, then why don't you eat more vegetables?
    Also, chickpeas and crackers are cooked, aren't they?

Don't need to do raw vegan for the purposes of weight loss. All you need to do for weight loss is keep your calories at or under goal for that. I thought raw veganism was more a nutritional-philosophical thing, than a weight loss tool.

I personally couldn't do raw vegan because it's too limited. I need to cook my food. There are so many nutritious foods that would be completely eliminated by a raw requirement. I think my health would probably suffer from such a limited supply of nutrients. You can't get everything you need from raw fruits and veg. You'd need extra supplements and I'm not into that.

:)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Please educate yourselves by watching 101 reasons to go vegan. It's the best answer to your questions and the best speech I've ever heard . Why do we eat cows and not dogs? Animal protein leaks calcium from our bones. Protein from plants doesnt . I watched another epic documentary tonight called rawvegan documentary national geographic juice experiment on YouTube. Everyone on the month clense was fat and sick and medicated then a month on juice healed them. I'm sold guys

Actually some people do eat dogs.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Meat is meat. If you were starving you would be eating anything you could get your hands on. Ever hear of an airplane crush in the mountains with only a few survivors? what would you do?

large_egW59XHxkNEdHjuSMHQ8EveOfYB.jpg

Couldn't resist.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Meat is meat. If you were starving you would be eating anything you could get your hands on. Ever hear of an airplane crush in the mountains with only a few survivors? what would you do?

Well, yes.

But some people do eat dogs in some cultures when other meat/ food sources are available - but they might not eat cow.

So the answer to OP's question, Why do we eat cows and not dogs? Is just our cultural expectation of what is normal or acceptable to eat.

Nothing to do with osteoporosis or superior protein sources.