Raw Vegans?

Options
plantilar
plantilar Posts: 28 Member
Hi im looking for raw vegans for motivation..im still slowly transitioning from vegeteran to vegan ..my eating is always a battle as i have a binge issue with food..im hoping to change this by changing my eating planand heal my body mind and spirit.id love new friends to give me ideas..no debates please just encouragement

Replies

• mwinslow69
    mwinslow69 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I understand the philosophy for this change to raw vegan. I'm working towards this myself. For my own health. Please friend me. I had black olives, blueberries, banana, rice cakes today for example. But I added a cheese omelet.
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I made the transition to vegan 3 months ago (although not raw). Feel free to add me for support :)
  • nikkxjohnson
    nikkxjohnson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I eat a plant based diet but I haven't tried raw. I don't have access to enough fruits at an effective cost to even attempt it. Good luck, and feel free to add me if you would like some more motivation!
  • moiraxg
    moiraxg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Raw vegan here! :)<3
  • hookenamermaid721
    Options
    Me too!
  • rawveganbabe
    rawveganbabe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Raw vegan - wanting to become Fruitarian!!!
  • baristabeannz
    baristabeannz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do it! My moods and sleep totally changed for the best and my binge cycle stopped. God gave us a garden to eat from it's how we were designed to eat. You need to eat enough fruit during the day to not binge at night. Several bananas frozen make a great smoothie. Have a fruit salad for lunch and bananas to snack on. Make juice. Don't buy processed vegan crap. Another key to it working is low fat. Don't add fats or it'll mess with the fruit in your stomach. Weight loss Is inevitable on raw fruit if you keep fats low. At night have a salad or if your like me and on a budget go raw till four and have steamed veges and rice or chickpeas and coleslaw with apple cider vinegar as the dressing no mayo. You will feel awesome
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Do it! My moods and sleep totally changed for the best and my binge cycle stopped. God gave us a garden to eat from it's how we were designed to eat. You need to eat enough fruit during the day to not binge at night. Several bananas frozen make a great smoothie. Have a fruit salad for lunch and bananas to snack on. Make juice. Don't buy processed vegan crap. Another key to it working is low fat. Don't add fats or it'll mess with the fruit in your stomach. Weight loss Is inevitable on raw fruit if you keep fats low. At night have a salad or if your like me and on a budget go raw till four and have steamed veges and rice or chickpeas and coleslaw with apple cider vinegar as the dressing no mayo. You will feel awesome

Except most of the fruits and vegetables were not "created" unless you count generations of human intervention and breeding as creation.

Not everyone feels "awesome" on a low fat diet. The worst I have ever felt as a vegan was when I tried to go low fat. Once I switched to moderate levels of fat (which includes cooked foods and, yes, even processed foods), I felt great, my energy skyrocketed, my mood improved, my hunger went away, and I began meeting all my fitness goals.

Fat is just a macronutrient. There's nothing evil about it and many of us do better when we eat plenty of it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Except most of the fruits and vegetables were not "created" unless you count generations of human intervention and breeding as creation.

Not everyone feels "awesome" on a low fat diet. The worst I have ever felt as a vegan was when I tried to go low fat. Once I switched to moderate levels of fat (which includes cooked foods and, yes, even processed foods), I felt great, my energy skyrocketed, my mood improved, my hunger went away, and I began meeting all my fitness goals.

Fat is just a macronutrient. There's nothing evil about it and many of us do better when we eat plenty of it.

Absolutely this. Not only are these extremely restrictive diets bad for maintaining a vegan diet long-term, they can cause all sorts of issues later on.

I'm talking about gallbladder issues, hormonal issues, and poor absorption of certain nutrients.

I personally did horribly on a low fat vegan diet, and even worse on a fully-raw vegan diet.

I now eat a balanced diet with *shocker* cooked foods and processed foods, and i feel fine.

For reference, i've never eaten meat in my life and i've been plant-based almost 26 years now.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Absolutely this. Not only are these extremely restrictive diets bad for maintaining a vegan diet long-term, they can cause all sorts of issues later on.

I'm talking about gallbladder issues, hormonal issues, and poor absorption of certain nutrients.

I personally did horribly on a low fat vegan diet, and even worse on a fully-raw vegan diet.

I now eat a balanced diet with *shocker* cooked foods and processed foods, and i feel fine.

For reference, i've never eaten meat in my life and i've been plant-based almost 26 years now.

I've read many accounts from former vegans who quit due to health problems or energy and it seems like virtually all of them layered in additional restrictions like low fat, raw, no oil, eliminating anything processed, frequent fasting, etc. I'm not saying that there aren't people out there who ate a vegan diet that included cooked foods, processed foods, and reasonable amounts of fat and still got sick, but anecdotally there seems to be a high correlation between ex-vegans with health issues and those who were practicing additional restrictions beyond animal products.

Commonly reported: tooth problems, gallbladder issues, hair loss, depression, lack of energy, low sex drive, bone density issues, frequent colds, headaches, etc.

These restrictions make it harder to navigate daily life as a vegan and they seem to compromise health for many people. It's hard to do long-term studies on diets like these because people don't tend to adhere to them for very long, but we know from other studies that people can and do thrive on balanced vegan diets. We don't know enough about what happens to people when you remove most fat from the diet, when you try to get all your protein from greens and fruit, or when you eliminate cooked food, but the initial reports aren't very encouraging.

• AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Truth.

I wouldn't be able to function on a low fat diet like a raw vegan. I need a little fat and some grains to stay satiated, more so even than protein.

Not to mention the comfort factor in cooked food. Sometimes I just want a big bowl of warm soup, some pasta, or a freaking plate of pancakes.

Another thing to consider is cost. It's easy to eat mostly fruits when you live somewhere tropical and there is fruit in season, on your doorstep practically, year round. But if you live someplace temperate, the costs will go way up and selection way down. Make no mention of the carbon footprint.

Also, there's a reason a lot of people have said they don't do it in the winter....the last thing I want in the winter is a cold smoothie or a salad! Especially if that's all I eat, day in, day out. Makes me cold just thinking about it.