do people follow mfp calorie guide.???

Options
chantell7
chantell7 Posts: 167 Member
Hi just wondering if people are following the mfp calorie guide to loose weight or are people following other weight loss programs ???

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I log my calories here because it's 1000 times easier than logging on paper was when I worked with my dietitian....
    I changed my macro goals because the amount of protein they wanted me to exist on I just couldn't do! (15% default) changed to 35% much more appropriate for my eating habits.

I allow MFP to calculate my caloric goal AND eat my exercise calories so I do follow that and have lost.
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The carbs on this thing I believe are way to high, sure you can lose weight eating like that but it takes a ton of exercise. Some people have issues for exercising, such as me right now I had a bad foot, i'd exercise but very little now it's getting better. I set up my own ratios, and my own caloric goals.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I do follow MFP. It seems to work for almost everyone I talk too. I feel much better when I take in lower calories.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    I'm following MFP 100%. I see it as a diet plan, and will follow it as it's meant to be followed (eating back all my exercise calories) unless it stops working for me :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hi just wondering if people are following the mfp calorie guide to loose weight or are people following other weight loss programs ???

Calories guide, yes. Nutrient guide, no. IMO, MFP recommends very little protein and a huge amount of carbs. So even though I stay within MFP's calorie guidelines, my nutrient split is different.

You can use MFP with any plan, however. Just customize your settings.
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    How do I change my carb and protein intake on my nutritional chart =)
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I just use it to log what I'm eating and keep track of my carbs, protein and fat as I'm on a low carb/high protein eating plan. I definately agree that the carbs are too high and protein too low for most people, so I'd tweak them a little if I were you! But not including me, a lot of people follow the plan and do great on it (:
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    log EVERYTHING and you will loose weight if you stay in your cals! just healthy eating here! oh and exersice!
  • Ladywindchaser
    Ladywindchaser Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Nope I only use MFP because it is easier to log and look up Nutrional Facts than using paper and books. I use what my Dr's. advised me to eat, calories, carbs, fat and protein. I would NEVER take the advice from a stranger or non health care professional on some forum over what my Health Care Professionals instruct me to do.
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I used to track everything on a spreadsheet; this site is WAY easier to do, and having a database of foods (even though there are many duplicates) is very convenient. I feel that the calories "allowed" to me are very high; in fact, the site doesn't take into consideration those who have had bariatric surgery and tend to consume lower calories anyway. But I've only been on a week so I have yet to see whether following the guidelines are helping with weight loss. I just know I tend to be "higher" on protein intake because of the surgery. I'd like to be able to change my goal numbers too, based on the information given to me by my doctor.
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I used to just use it to log my weight loss and look things up, but now I use it 100% and it's working for me! You can tweak it to work for you nutrition wise. I LOVE it!
  • maureak
    maureak Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I follow MFP 100%. In addition to keeping track of how much I eat, I also pay attention to what I'm eating and try to follow a low fat, high fiber, balanced diet and generally follow the food pyramid guidelines (although, it's not a pyramid anymore, it's now a plate).
  • candis30
    candis30 Posts: 17
    Options
    I Lost 50 pounds over the last year and I was struggling with my last few pounds. But ever since i've joined and log mycalorie intake in it's a whole lot easier. It's amazing how many calories we eat without even realizing it.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    How do I change my carb and protein intake on my nutritional chart =)
    go to Home, goals, change goals,custom goals
  • cathynicolette
    cathynicolette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I"ve only been here about a week. I haven't really paid attention to anything but calories. If I want to stay with in my calorie range and actually get full then I have to eat better food, that will automatically cut down on fat. I've never paid much attention to protein and carbs.... maybe I should, a little.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I use mfp 99% it works for me! Just don't use there burned calories numbers. I use my equipments numbers.
  • SherryLynn82
    SherryLynn82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just started back recently, but when I was on here before I used their calorie guidelines and lost 20 pounds fairly easily with lots of exercise. I do eat back most of my exercise calories, but sometimes I can't eat them all, it would just be too much. I also usually check their calories burned against a couple of other websites just to make sure they're similar.
  • ritafay2011
    Options
    HELLO,I DO FOLLOW AND ITS WORKING FOR ME!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • deftodie
    deftodie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    High? i was thinking the exact opposite!!. I'd like to talk to you specifically why you think that though.

I have been taught as a nurse (which doesn't mean its right) for a diabetic on a 2000 calorie diet, to have 2 servings of carbs per meal and one per snack, therefore 15g of carb per serving, so 30x3=90 plus 45= 135g/day. That's of course higher than MOST people will need under 250lbs trying to lose weight on here. I think that is a good max. carb rate to aim for. most people will find it hard to severely restrict carbs and have the mental capacity to not binge, but that's my opinion. its a touchy subject. Just because a tool sets a goal, you can still change it. And i would always stick with the advice of your doctor/dietician.
  • highdesertgirl
    Options
    I am doing Weight Watchers and logging MFP calories. So far both seem to work...