Artificial sweetners

Replies

• Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    There is a better option than sugar substitutes in baked goods. It's called not eating them. Put the cookie down and step away.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Honestly, I find the fat is contributing far more cals to my baked goods than the sugar, so I usually use the real deal. I've also found I can usually cut the sugar in a recipe by up to 25% without noticing it. A coworker who always brings in lovely treats says she uses one of the half sugar/ half sweetener blends, but I can't remember if it was stevie or splenda!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    There is a better option than sugar substitutes in baked goods. It's called not eating them. Put the cookie down and step away.

Just thought I'd leave this here.....for you.......

Japanese-Plastic-Food.jpg

:smile:

• Troutrouter1968
    Awesome, SLL
  • Troutrouter1968
    It's the most effective way perhaps? I'm allergic to somethings so I just don't eat them. That mitigates your diabetes argument. Secondly, reducing calories at the cost of taste just seems silly to me. You can just eat less or like I said not eat them.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    Well, of course if you are actually allergic you would not eat it at all - but we are not talking about allergies here.

I don't understand what you mean by ' that mitigates my diabetic argument'??

if someone is diabetic they can eat baked goods with sugar substitutes or very small portions with sugar - they don't have to step away from them altogether.
    Nor do other people, unless they want to.
    They can reduce their calories by using sugar substitutes or eating in smaller portions.
    You can eat less or step away or find one you like with a sugar substitute

Neither approach is more effective or inherently better - not for everyone.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Actually stepping away is much more effective. There is a zero gain.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Actually we are arguing the same point but from different directions.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Sugar is better than sugar substitutes. However, to me it's not worth the loss in taste. I'd rather put the cookie down and step away.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Then knock your socks off. For me, nothing beats real sugar :smiley:
  • Troutrouter1968
    After reading what I typed, I apologize to everyone. I was insensitive to the anti-sugar folks. I will strive to keep my comments to myself when it comes to sugar (it's the best) LOL
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Lol, just use LESS sugar.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    After reading what I typed, I apologize to everyone. I was insensitive to the anti-sugar folks. I will strive to keep my comments to myself when it comes to sugar (it's the best) LOL

I'm not sure who the anti sugar folks in the thread are.

Not me, I enjoy many products with sugar and some with artificial sweetener.

The gain for me is that I enjoy eating them - I like to enjoy food, not step away from all cookies or baked goods or yummy treats.

The most effective way is different for each individual - it could be using a sugar substitute you find satisfactory, eating controlled amounts of the full sugar product or a less sweetened version of it or stepping away altogether - or, quite possibly a combination approach of all 3.

No need for anyone to keep their comments to themself - just understand that what is most effective for you isn't neccesarily so for everyone else.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member

Some recipes that are not baked goods or sweets call for a little sugar also, think stir fry sauce, bbq sauce, ketchup....the list goes on.

NO, I cannot just eat the regular stuff as I am following the keto way of eating and am extremely low carb, so a sugar that is low/no calorie is a great way to do that, but I too do not like the aftertaste of "stevia blends".

My solution is to buy some stevia plants and get it right from the source, that way there will be no artificial sweetener in my food.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Honestly, I find the fat is contributing far more cals to my baked goods than the sugar, so I usually use the real deal. I've also found I can usually cut the sugar in a recipe by up to 25% without noticing it. A coworker who always brings in lovely treats says she uses one of the half sugar/ half sweetener blends, but I can't remember if it was stevie or splenda!

I always had a reputation as a great baker, and people always asked what my "secret" was.

My big secret was that I always cut the sugar by 25% and increased the vanilla or cinnamon if called for in every recipe I ever made. That's it.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    awkwardbae wrote: »
    Erythritol is the best thing I've tried, seriously I don't understand why doesn't everyone replace sugar with it. 0 calories, as close to sugar in taste as it gets and it doesn't raise your glycemic index. I buy mine from iherb

Isn't Erythritol one of those that gives some people gas and diarrhea? Definitely might explain why not everyone uses it.

Me me me!!! That's why I don't use it.

I've never heard of Erythritol. I don't think I want to try it either because of my digestive problems.

On the fodmap diet (which helps some people with ibs symptoms), a lot of sweeteners are "forbidden " (ie,high fodmap) and a general rule is to avoid anything ending in OL.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    I use honey, coconut sugar, pure maple syrup, and xylitol.