Which way to go?

Ok so I'm going to say up front that I want to loose 200 lbs, a pretty big goal. I would like to lose it in the next few years, again a pretty big goal. I've set myself into a exercise program that involves the gym and DVDs at home. My question is, should I just concentrate on cardio now till I lose weight then tone up with weight training, or combine cardio and weight training now? My fear is the loose skin when I get a good amount off.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    At the beginning, it's more important to develop the habit of staying active daily, so cardio is perfect for that. Start slow and gradually work up in difficulty, to avoid the common overuse injuries. If you've been pretty inactive, i would wait a couple months before starting strength training, unless you can work with a good personal trainer. Obese beginners often have muscle imbalances and poor movement skills, which can lead to poor form and injuries. Whenever you're ready, follow a proven strength program, don't do your own thing. If you can't work with a trainer, i suggest "New Rules of Lifting for Life".

You will probably have some extra skin regardless of what you do, unless you're genetically lucky. :+1:
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Suggest a combination of both cardio and weights along with eating at a deficit. Muscles burn more calories, and you will lose some muscle mass as you lose weight. Doing some weight training will help you maintain more of it, and will make the loss easier. By mixing up your exercising (weights and cardio) you are less likely to get bored and stop doing it. Congratulations on your decision, and best of luck!
  • Strength training is always the most important--muscle power output determines both quality and quantity of life. Adding strength training will also help you lose and keep off bodyfat in the long run.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Definitely incorporate resistance training in your routine. It will accelerate your results.
    You may want to wear something tight fitting and breathable, like spandex, under your cloths to keep skin from hanging. I think this will help it tighten up quicker, since gravity won't get to keep stretching it out as much.
    Also, when you start working out, you might find yourself getting more hungry to refuel what you've spent. Trying to make healthier choices with your diet will greatly accelerate your results. I'll add an apple to the end of my meal as a way to fill up more without taking in as many calories. It's also very healthy in many other ways. A couple other big things are: getting into the habit of preparing your own meals (just too hard to eat healthy eating out), switching from enriched wheat flour products to wholegrains, and of course, cutting back on sugary and fried foods.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    At the beginning, it's more important to develop the habit of staying active daily, so cardio is perfect for that. Start slow and gradually work up in difficulty, to avoid the common overuse injuries. If you've been pretty inactive, i would wait a couple months before starting strength training, unless you can work with a good personal trainer. Obese beginners often have muscle imbalances and poor movement skills, which can lead to poor form and injuries. Whenever you're ready, follow a proven strength program, don't do your own thing. If you can't work with a trainer, i suggest "New Rules of Lifting for Life".

You will probably have some extra skin regardless of what you do, unless you're genetically lucky. :+1:

I tend to agree with this. Just getting up and moving more often is a good goal for you right now. Chances are you are lacking in the kind of flexibility need just to do everyday things. I know that when I was heavier, reaching around to wash my own back was sometimes difficult. Getting up and moving more helps a lot with making everyday life easier.

During my first month of losing weight, I did no exercise--just focused on diet. During my second month, I adding walking 3x/week. During the third, I added a simple bodyweight exercise circuit on the days between walking. Eventually I moved into walk/run intervals and 7 months into it I moved to lifting weights. I feel like this baby step approach helped a lot.

Bret Contreras is a trainer who I respect and like a lot. His suggestions for training obese new exercisers is toward the end of this interview: http://body-improvements.com/articles/interviews/bi-interview-bret-contreras/ .
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i like weights more than cardio, but it's a personal thing. i always feel like my 200+ friends have an advantage when it comes to strength, because they're already so strong just from being themselves.

so i'm a little bit biased. but definitely keep form in mind while lifting. and think of it as preservation of the muscle you already have, so it doesn't get burned up along with the fat while you focus on your deficit.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    They, cardio and lifting, are not mutually exclusive. You don't have to do one to the exclusion of the other. I fact, here, the internet meme of the little girl saying " Why not both?" is the proper response.

You may be able to burn more calories doing cardio but lifting will preserve more muscle mass. Do both. I like to alternate days of cardio and lifting. Cardio, for me, is either outside or treadmill/elliptical and lifting is following Strong Lifts 5x5 having downloaded their program onto my phone.

In answer to your question, either, or both, as long as you're moving
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    With 200 pounds to lose just make sure whatever you are doing you are doing properly and safely. For instance running would not be suggested as it could really harm your joints. Start with brisk walking. And weights should only be done if you are doing it with proper form.

Diet is definitely #1 with 200 pounds to lose. I would start incorporating in activities like walking, swimming, etc. Just start forming healthy habits and being active while you start to lose weight.

Good Luck!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Congratulations on establishing a new goal! At this point I would say there is no wrong choice as long as you do something safe and sustainable. Many people go crazy for a few weeks until the novelty wears off, then they fade. Have some flexibility and variety in your program and do things you enjoy that get your heart rate up but don't bury you and curb your enthusiasm.

At 200 pounds overweight I would talk to your primary to ensure you start out safely. Finally make sure you eat in a deficit or you won't lose anything. Good luck!