Constant "lactic acid sensation" - help?

Options
I am far from fit people, but I am on my feet all day at work and also ride my bike there and back (sounds impressive but it's like a 5 minute ride so not really!) Here's my problem - my legs seem to feel like they are contantly suffering from the "lactic acid feeling" - it's only across the fronts of my lower thighs. I have no idea how to address it, my sense is the cycling is a cause as it's that movement that causes more active pain, but really, 5 minutes twice a day shouldn't do it right? Or my muscles should have become more toned to the routine and therefore no longer hurt? (I've been riding to work over a year)

It's really starting to bum me out a little as it's making exercise motivation much harder - who wants to start a workout in the tired/pain feeling zone?! So what could i be doing wrong? I know it can't *actually* be lactic acid as that dissipates after a short period, but it's exactly the same sensation. Thoughts?

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure I'm following your description. If you're doing this every day, it probably isn't DOMS (what I think you are referring to as the "lactic acid feeling"), but I am unclear as to whether this burning sensation in your muscles is starting during the ride or after you finish. If the former, it sounds like you are just getting tired muscles. This never entirely goes away if you work your muscles hard enough. Doing the same route for five minutes twice a day would not be enough to build sufficient muscle to prevent this muscle fatigue, so this could be the source. If it starts immediately after your finish, it could be that your muscles are tight from the ride and standing is forcing them to stretch. The best cure for either of the aforementioned causes is going to be leg exercises (squats and lunges recommended) to strengthen the muscles more than the bike ride is doing. If the burning isn't starting until several minutes after your ride, then I don't know what to tell you.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) It's during, and even when I'm not exercising it's like a constant fatigue / dull ache. Looks like I need to work on my muscles some!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    What does your diet look like? Your body needs adequate protein to repair muscles after strenuous activity.
  • kaned_ferret
    Options
    diet wise it's a slow and steady improvement lol (I know I drink too much for starters) but I do usually get enough protein from either meat/fish or eggs. I'm starting to think i might have to find a way to like / incorporate more vegetables. I eat a lot of rocket and carrots but otherwise am pretty limited on the veggie front as I have never been a fruit / veg fan.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    diet wise it's a slow and steady improvement lol (I know I drink too much for starters) but I do usually get enough protein from either meat/fish or eggs. I'm starting to think i might have to find a way to like / incorporate more vegetables. I eat a lot of rocket and carrots but otherwise am pretty limited on the veggie front as I have never been a fruit / veg fan.

I am not quite sure what rocket is, care to elaborate?

In terms of protein, you are going to want to be eating .85-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. As far as veggies go, yeah, i recommend eating as much as possible, simply because they are usually low in calorie and extremely nutrient dense. One thing that I eat a LOT of is spinach. It has essentially replaced lettuce in everything I eat. I eat at least an ounce of it per day, as a salad, in a protein shake, mixed in with eggs and on a sandwich, etc.

Broccoli is another on that I am a fan of. As are tomatoes.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I am far from fit people, but I am on my feet all day at work and also ride my bike there and back (sounds impressive but it's like a 5 minute ride so not really!) Here's my problem - my legs seem to feel like they are contantly suffering from the "lactic acid feeling" - it's only across the fronts of my lower thighs. I have no idea how to address it, my sense is the cycling is a cause as it's that movement that causes more active pain, but really, 5 minutes twice a day shouldn't do it right? Or my muscles should have become more toned to the routine and therefore no longer hurt? (I've been riding to work over a year)

It's really starting to bum me out a little as it's making exercise motivation much harder - who wants to start a workout in the tired/pain feeling zone?! So what could i be doing wrong? I know it can't *actually* be lactic acid as that dissipates after a short period, but it's exactly the same sensation. Thoughts?

Visit your GP, because it could be a sign of a number of factors and they really do need the attention of a doctor and could be anything from a reaction to a particular food right up to diabetes, with many other possibilities in between.

I hope you get it sorted.
  • katinaxo
    katinaxo Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi lovely,

Sounds like you're muscles are having trouble repairing effectively - it can happen if they are under constant strain and aren't getting enough rest and/or the right nutrients to tidy up again before your next exercise.
    I had a quick look at your diet - you're definitely missing a lot of fresh food - especially vegetables (GREENS!! :) ). The daily protein you have there is also quite low (I know that for the most part myfitnesspal automatically sets it, but personally I disagree with its auto-values....by the time I've finished breakfast and half of my mid-morning meal I've already consumed your entire daily intake lol).
    To put it really simply - more protein, more greens, more fresh food. Fresh foods contain enzymes that help your body to utilize the nutrients it's been given.
    Make sure you're drinking plenty of water - I don't know if you're just not bothering to write it into your diary, but every day your water intake says 0'. Water is incredibly important for repair also!

Also, try something a little bit different - try some squats, lunges, burpees - mix it up! The more you can use different muscles, the better. You'll give some time to rest and recover, and you'll also burn more in the long run. xx
  • Mslibb
    Mslibb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bananas. That is all. :smile:
  • kaned_ferret
    Options
    yes I'm also pretty rubbish on the water front, I drink between 1 and maybe 3 glasses a day tops, maybe a pint when I exercise. I have always drunk very little :/

Rocket is a salad leaf :)
  • lmckillo
    lmckillo Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I normally find that the first 5 to 10 minutes of riding, running, rollerblading, skate skiing are the worst. It takes me about 15 minutes or so for the lactic acid to go away. Have you tried riding farther? If so does the problem still there? Remember it takes a while for the muscles to warm up.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doc?
  • kaned_ferret
    Options
    Have you seen a doc?

Not about this specifically but I do have chronic fatigue symptoms and general joint issues that are ongoing which of course never helps :)
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Sounds like key nutrients are exhaused or deficient for days at a time. How is your diet right now?
  • kaned_ferret
    Options
    I *think* it's pretty good.. feel free to nose at my diary. As has been said however, my quota of fresh veg is fairly low. Cost is a factor unfortunately as well, but given what my eating habits were previously, I'm just happy to be able to have added as much as I already have, and to stay within calories pretty much daily. But I think you're right and maybe I'm not "feeding" things quite right.. little steps eh! I was just perplexed as to why it was only the one area that was aching, but then with the position of the saddle it is the point of most strain so shouldn't be a surprise really.
  • LuckyAllana
    Options
    Hi, I was just searching google for this same sensation and came across your post. I've been saying for a few years that I feel like I'm seizing up… I can't stretch my legs kinda feeling. I've mentioned it to my doc, family and friends. I have cfs and fibro. Now since Oct I've had a heel spur and I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. got new orthotics, etc, etc. (its kinda a long story, so I'm keeping it short) I've been doing everything I thought was right, only to have it never clear up and continue getting worse on and off…. more on then off!!! I stopped wearing the orthotics, cause of the knee, back pain, 3 ingrown toenails, etc. Went to Cuba and did more stretching then I was doing and it was getting better! :) Then came home and it was getting worse. Finally gave in and got a massage… she said that I should be in pain while she was rubbing the bottom of my foot… I said, no I don't' feel anything. Then she grabbed my calf and I just about shoot through the roof in pain!!! She said I have achilles tendon thingy. Then I realized this morning, that what I always feel is what you are describing. The lactic acid feeling.
    I was wondering if you found anything else out about it. Thanks
    Wishing you a day filled with Happiness! ;0)
  • kaned_ferret
    Options
    Well this was a long time ago!

Just getting back onto mfp and looked at my old posts - i have since been diagnosed with fibromyalgia so I guess that's the culprit.. Sadly I feel much worse now than I did back when I started this thread as it now affects other parts - even holding my phone to type this is causing that sensation in my arms and hands. Sigh.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @kaned_ferret. It looks like it was a bigger issue than you hoped and my sympathies. It was thoughtful to come back and give an update. At the very least I hope it inspires others to get unusual aches and pains professionally checked.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    My wife had Fibro five years ago so bad she told me to just let her die. Today, she looks 10 years younger, she works out six days a week and though she's 57, she gets guessed in her mid to late 40s all the time.

I never believed in Holistic medicine years ago. Thought it was Woo. The only thing that worked for her was looking at everything comprehensively -- diet, chemicals (really affect people with Fibro), what type of exercise, supplementation, etc.

The main things (for her, because everyone is different) were getting a solid Methyl B (she has a genetic defect like many do with Fibro where they can't utilize synthetic Bs), eliminating most sugar, vegetable oils, gluten, cow dairy (some are OK with dairy, many aren't, she can handle limited A2/A2 dairy or sheep/goat -- it's not as bad as it sounds, things like Pecorino cheese are sheep), eating Organic grains/legumes only and upping vegetables dramatically. She also eats lots of Polyphenols (tea, Tart Cherry, cranberries, Amla Powder) and gets a ton of fiber. She used to have IBS terribly, now she eats like 40 to 50 grams of fiber a day. Fiber is huge in Fibro. The fact that you don't like veggies makes healing terribly hard, TBH.

Magnesium is very important too, so are Omega3s.

Understanding and looking at her chemical exposure meant a lot too. She was always sensitive to chemicals. Now, ridiculously so. Perfume, chemical cleaners, even makeup send her into a flare. Also, chlorine in pools reacts to sweat/urine. Doing water aerobics set her over the edge to full blown fibro. I'd strongly recommend Tai Chi, not water aerobics for anyone with Fibro. Ironically, we just bought a home in Tucson that has a pool and hot tub that overlooks 3 mountain ranges. We're going to convert it to salt water and my Brother in law (who years ago when he was young was a pool maintenance contractor) is going to help us add Epsom Salt into the water.

ScienceDaily has some great recent articles on Fibro. They have one recently where the brain scans of people with Fibro look very different than others. They are proving it's caused by the brain gut connection and brain inflammation. CBD Oil calms brain inflammation. Your gut is directly tied to your brain. It's so important what you eat. I eat the same diet she does, so I'm a little miffed when people say they can't change. Heck, I did, and didn't have to or didn't think I had to. Turned out switching my diet helped me. Turns out, I have a worse gluten sensitivity than she does. Her issue is more dairy but going gluten free helps anyone with Fibro. There was one European study with 20 women that had Fibro for, on average, 11 years. They put them all on a GF diet for 18 months. 16 went into remission and the other 4 were significantly better.

She takes no prescriptions and has even the Holistic docs amazed at her progress. LDN or Metformin would be the only prescriptions that don't have more side effects than advantages. LDN and CBD Oil help people quite well until they get their diet/lifestyle changed. So do injections into the tender points.