Coffee sweetener

Options
Hello,
What's a healthy alternative to sugary coffee creamer?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Plain sugar. Sweet and low. Splenda.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Can you specify what health issues you're having with your current sweetener?

Do you need to eliminate sugar, are you looking to reduce calories, or is it something else?
  • veganfaceholex
    veganfaceholex Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Black >:)
  • Angelwingz99
    Angelwingz99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would go with regular sugar. It doesn't have any chemicals added and you know what you're getting. Even better is Sugar in the Raw.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Milk and sugar. Chocolate milk. Protein powder.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would go with regular sugar. It doesn't have any chemicals added and you know what you're getting. Even better is Sugar in the Raw.

Chemicals aren't a bad thing though. I mean, some are harmful. Some are beneficial. Others are neutral. They're just . . . the stuff that things are made out of.

Why is Sugar in the Raw better?
  • erikfarrar
    erikfarrar Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Chemicals aren't a bad thing though. I mean, some are harmful. Some are beneficial. Others are neutral. They're just . . . the stuff that things are made out of.

Why is Sugar in the Raw better?

1. Sugar IS a chemical. ;)https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/sucrose

2. One reason I would choose something like "Sugar in the Raw" over white sugar because it retains a little bit of molasses and other residues that can give a little different flavor profile. It's kind of nice with espresso drinks, imo. A lot of the time, you might not be able to tell the difference. The nutritional content is essentially the same.

3. But, to the question: I'm of the mind that everything in moderation is generally okay. So, depending on how much sugar/cream you prefer in your drinks, plain/raw sugar and some good quality half-and-half or milk do fine. One teaspoon of sugar is about 15 calories, and good, grass-fed milkfat can be beneficial to your diet. Just don't overdo it.

That said, I often choose Splenda or other artificial sweeteners (look out for aspartame if you're phenylketonuric) because of their low calorie content and they also dissolve much more readily in drinks than white and especially better than raw sugar (the granules are often large). And if you tend to like your stuff really sweet, these will get you there without the calories. Some "creamers" and syrups are made with these sweeteners too. Again, no need to shy away from these as long as you're not sucking them down several times a day.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options

C12H22O11 doesn't have any chemicals??

(Sorry, I don't see any way to do subscript numbers here.)
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I personally use 2 tbsp. of International Delight's French Vanilla... I might cut it down to 1 tbsp. and add a little of that sugar in the raw... I am also looking to cut calories in certain places... or in general. Lol. The last couple months I've been horrible.

I might just *gasp* cut coffee all together, anyone have good morning beverage alternatives?
  • erikfarrar
    erikfarrar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I personally use 2 tbsp. of International Delight's French Vanilla... I might cut it down to 1 tbsp. and add a little of that sugar in the raw... I am also looking to cut calories in certain places... or in general. Lol. The last couple months I've been horrible.

I might just *gasp* cut coffee all together, anyone have good morning beverage alternatives?

*double gasp!* Bite your caffeinated tongue!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

You can sub the coffee with a caffeine pill, taken with water to get your caffeine fix with no calories.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I lurve Sugar in the Raw!