What is the "healthiest diet" to you? and why?

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The best one for me is the one where I burn more than I eat....every day if possible...

Being in a calorie deficit is not healthy for prolonged periods. But in the short term, a calorie deficit could improve peoples health if they are obese/overweight.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    The best one for me is the one where I burn more than I eat....every day if possible...

Being in a calorie deficit is not healthy for prolonged periods. But in the short term, a calorie deficit could improve peoples health if they are obese/overweight.

Let me rephrase then. While losing weight, the "healthiest diet" I found was the one where I burned more calories than I ate. I'm in maintenance now, and pretty much burn exactly the same number as I eat, on a pretty constant basis.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I would say my understanding of the "healthiest" diet would be: eating a large variety of in-season fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes as the bulk of the diet with fish, meat, or dairy sparingly (1 serving 3-4 times per week), and abundant sources of poly and monounsaturated fats. ALL WHILE meeting their microtnurient needs consistently AND controlling overall calorie balance.

This is just based on the societies which seem to have the longest lives, lowest incidences of cancer and heart disease, etc.

I do not follow this diet as I don't eat meat for ethical reasons and i prefer to eat a diet I can maintain indefinitely. This means I eat according to my calorie goal and micronutrient needs, but do consume many processed, fried, and convenience foods.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

Let me rephrase then. While losing weight, the "healthiest diet" I found was the one where I burned more calories than I ate. I'm in maintenance now, and pretty much burn exactly the same number as I eat, on a pretty constant basis.

BUT HOW HEALTHY WAS IT!?!?!

LOL..

I eat just about everything.........except for most grains, seafood and mushrooms, thanx to allergies. Everyone's definition of "healthy" is different. For me, I make most of our food from scratch, but I will use convenient alternatives if I'm stuck for time or just can't think of anything...We get take out about once every three or four weeks.

2qdm82iog0j2.jpg

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    LOL..

I eat just about everything.........except for most grains, seafood and mushrooms, thanx to allergies. Everyone's definition of "healthy" is different. For me, I make most of our food from scratch, but I will use convenient alternatives if I'm stuck for time or just can't think of anything...We get take out about once every three or four weeks.
    Same here, or sometimes when we're just not wanting to do the meal prep. No food allergies on this end though, thank God. One of the kids friends is allergic to sea food. That would be rough for me. Love my fish dinners.

Oh - Chinese take out every few weeks. Yum.
  • HealthyTardis
    HealthyTardis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I suffer from ulcerative colitis so the diet that keeps me well would probably not be considered healthy! Basically low residue.

(first post on my new account!) I have stomach issues too, and when things are really bad my doctor has me down to chicken breast, white rice, cooked soft veggies and cooked/canned fruit or bananas.

It doesn't look "healthy" to others maybe, but it makes me feel the best, with the most energy.

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Considering I eat pretty much whatever I want - and my doc looks at my yearly bloodwork, gives me a check-up/physical, declares me the healthiest patient he has, asks if I have any complaints, then tells me to get the hell out of here and come back in a year?

The eat whatever I want - just not too terribly much of it all - diet.

That pretty much sums up me too :D
  • ooomonster
    ooomonster Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm the healthiest I've ever been right now. I eat probably around 75% plant-based foods and get my protein from eggs, nuts, and beans, though I do chicken or fish one or two times a week. Dairy in moderation (mostly because I'm lactose intolerant). Whole grains only and no added sugar. Low sodium. Snacks are usually popcorn or these addictive puffed veggie straw things I love.
    I spent a long time as a vegetarian, so it's really no big deal for me to not eat much meat, and I've never met a veggie I didn't like, so this is an easy diet to sustain for me.
  • allym979
    allym979 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    To be healthy I try to eat as clean as possible, no processed foods and I try to avoid sugar. For weight loss, I have been doing a "body type" diet, which seems to be working pretty well so far. I am a the thyroid type, you can see what you are here if interested http://revitalizemaui.com/optibodytm-quiz
  • geneticexpectations
    Options
    For me, I like meat/fish/fowl/eggs fed things as close to what nature intended them to eat. I also like vegetables and some fruit, preferrably grown in ways as close to as they grow in nature. I also like a bit of raw nuts and a bit of high fat dairy and a bit of high percentage dark chocolate to get mixed in there. I'm pretty happy with just those things.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    For me.
    No dairy ( lactose intolerant)
    Lean protein mostly chicken and fish a few times a week.
    Lots of fruits veggies and whole grains
    Beans legumes nuts.
    Plenty of water.
    I feel the best when I eat this way
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Whole, minimally processed foods in just about any combination are healthful. Ultra processed foods are harmful in just about any combination and should be minimized.

How are you defining what an ultra processed food is? And how are they harmful?

The Brazilian food guide did a nice job of defining ultra processed foods and that's the definition I'm using. The more ultra processed foods you eat the fatter and sicker you become (metabolic syndrome and all that entails).

Eat better -> eat less -> feel better -> move more -> healthier life.

I understand the definition of ultra-processed foods (I think) and I don't see how they can be harmful in the context of a diet where one is meeting one's nutritional needs. If I am eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, a can of soup isn't going to hurt me. If I'm getting plenty of fiber, an Oreo isn't going to make me sick.

Eating too much of these could be harmful, sure. But then, eating a diet of exclusively fruit and vegetables could also make me sick. In both cases, I'm not meeting my nutritional needs. That seems to be the underlying issue.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I'm in Italy, so we use the Mediterranean diet. Italians are very into quality ingredients and want to know where their food comes from. My sons have been educated at the table so they know what we're eating, where I bought it and how it was prepared. It makes it easy to hit my macros.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The best one for me is where I truly limit sugar and carbs and eat pretty much whatever else I want. I not only lose weight but I dont feel hungry too much on it and thus I do not let my stomach control my actions. Very liberating to only think about food as an after-thought.
  • manther88
    manther88 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Whole food. Foods that aren't in a box, can or package. What do you think people were eating a long time ago? Lol.

Anything that is processed is bad whether it's fruit or veggies because they still add sugar or salt and other things to it.
  • sliminby60
    sliminby60 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    If you are wondering, the folks that are successful and have been here the longest are not the ones who buy into the latest fad diet. In fact, most won't even call what they do a diet. Diet means restrictions to most people and that is how they fail. It is very hard to restrict yourself from something you love.

I see this all the time. Someone comes along preaching some nonsense they read on the internet and they get 20 replies from successful people and 2 replies from others that believe the woo. They fight with the successful ones and side with the woo. Then they disappear. I can only guess at the outcome but based on experience I have to guess it is back to yo-yo dieting.

So the 'healthiest diet' is one that you can stick too. It is one that will keep you happy for the rest of your life. It is one that will keep you healthy for the rest of your life. It is up to you to find the right balance. Start by getting an accurate count of your calories and adjust from there. Once you nail that, the rest is easy.

thank you love that
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am not a supporter of "fad" diets. What I do. Believe in is eating healthy. For meat I eat lots of fish and chicken. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies. No fast food and no store bought heat and serve items even if they are promoted for weight loss. I want to know what goes into what I eat.