Members lowering blood pressure.

Options
I need to lower my blood pressure quite a bit and would like to add some friends who have lowered theirs so I can see what you eat to get some ideas.

Thanks

Replies

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I take meds to lower mine. There is no lifestyle cause for my BP, genetic. Depending on your numbers you might talk to your doc about meds or about what you need to do to lower it, it goes down with weightloss for some people.
  • gottagetitoff11
    gottagetitoff11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    He gave me 30 days to lower it before going on mefs which is almost up.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Have you lost any weight in the 30 days so far? My blood pressure was high in January. It's normal now. I don't know when it became normal and I don't know how many pounds I lost before it became normal.

What I did since January was mostly 30 minutes of cardio 5 or 6 days each week and mostly 1500 or 1600 calories of food eaten 7 days a week.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You are welcome to add me. My blood pressure was 150/86 five months ago. I lowered it to normal by exercise and losing weight. I checked it last week and it was around 95/65. It has been low-normal all my life, so I refused to go on BP meds because I knew it was high because I was overweight and sedentary. I walk around 30-60 minutes every day.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Losing weight, exercise & meds are good ways to lower blood pressure but don't underestimate the effect of going low sodium. The most important thing is to get it down and keep it down.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I was on meds since '92,.took my last bp pill over a year ago. Losing 55 is what did it.

Add me if you like, a warning the foods in my snacks are NOT what I recommend you eating and drinking to lower bp.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the foods recommended by the DASH Diet?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Successfully lowered from significant weight loss.

Eat at home more and control your salt intake. Baked instead of fried.

Cardio exercise.

Mindful meditation.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Lower sodium intake, Increase exercise. Decrease stress. Healthy food choices. Skip the meds if you can they all have so many side effects.
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I used to eat low sodium and it was still very very high. I even had hypertension-induced preeclampsia with all three pregnancies, despite BP meds, baby aspririn, and calcium/magnesium supplements. Am off meds now and have amazing readings, despite a high sodium diet. Feel free to add me if you want, but the only thing I did was lose about 55 pounds.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Since your thirty days are almost up I suggest you go cold turkey on the salt, emptying your pantry if necessary and absolutely no fast food before your doctor's appointment. Eat lots of fruits and veggies. You might just bring those numbers down.

If not, meds are not so bad. You will likely be started on a diuretic.

Afterwards you can work on a long term plan to lower your blood pressure. Be prepared to stay on the meds until you can prove that they are bringing your BP dangerously low.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people are able to stop taking their BP meds after they get their weight down and becoming more active doesn't hurt either. It's not necessarily a life sentence.