Why is red meat considered bad?

Options
I totally rely on hunting or raising the food i eat and everyone tells me red meat will make me fat.

I typically eat meat once a day and sometimes I don't eat it at all in a single day. Depends on my mood. I love meat but I don't eat much and when I eat it I don't eat more than 4 - 6 ounces lol.

I eat venison, chicken and rabbit mainly. Then I eat pork, turkey, beef and duck or goose once in a blue moon. Like I said I only consume 4-6 ounces of meat once a day or none at all lol. Is it going to hurt me? I eat healthy meat because I raise it and hunt it. :)

Replies

• manther88
    manther88 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Good deal! Thank you. :)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    What makes someone overweight is that they're eating over their maintenance level calories, not what kinds of foods they're eating. Red meat will not make you gain weight, unless you're eating over maintenance. Same thing with broccoli or fish or M&Ms or beer-CICO :)
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My wife and I eat red meat at least 3 nights a week, and mornings for me with eggs as well. No ill effects here.
  • Babs2Baby
    Babs2Baby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Red meat isn't bad
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Venison is lower in saturated fat than beef so is a good option for eating red meat. Moderation is the key, as with anything you consume. I prefer elk for it's better flavor.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,041 Member
    Options
    Eat that red meat. It's full of iron.

And this is precisely why I don't eat much of it.

Be aware of your own health issues and decide what to eat or avoid based on what works for you.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Seems to have been demonized as causing Colorectal & other cancers by weak statistical associations. Associations =/= causation. More vegan propaganda they try to use to "convert" people
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Eat meat. Not too little. Mostly fat. ;)

Meat is good for you. I know carnivores that are perfectly healthy. Eat up.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There is a difference on who eats red meat.

Usain Bolt eating red meat. Not a problem.

The cantor in Sunday mass with the cute voice and size 56 suit and pants like he ran the Phidoppedes run to Athens by the time he reaches his big Buick after mass. Him eating red meat. Big problem.

That's where red meat got the bad rap. Because the likes of Usain Bolt are a minority ;)

So because the cantor ate red meat, red meat is bad? He also drank water, breathed air, and probably ate eggs, wheat flour and other foods. I don't think that was it.

I think the bad rap came about because they fed red meat to rabbits a few decades ago, and discovered that it made their total cholesterol skyrocket. Apparently meat doesn't agree with rabbits.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

The cantor in Sunday mass with the cute voice and size 56 suit and pants like he ran the Phidoppedes run to Athens by the time he reaches his big Buick after mass. Him eating red meat. Big problem.

That's where red meat got the bad rap. Because the likes of Usain Bolt are a minority ;)

dahell?
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I eat red meat. It's my favorite. Not bad at all.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Eat meat. Not too much. Mostly fat. ;)

Meat is good for you. I know carnivores that are perfectly healthy. Eat up.

Yup ;) I eat at least a pound of beef daily. And a bunch of eggs, butter, and chicken thighs.

And it's so amazing that you have access to raising and hunting your own food, OP!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

So because the cantor ate red meat, red meat is bad? He also drank water, breathed air, and probably ate eggs, wheat flour and other foods. I don't think that was it.

I think the bad rap came about because they fed red meat to rabbits a few decades ago, and discovered that it made their total cholesterol skyrocket. Apparently meat doesn't agree with rabbits.

I just feed my rabbits to eachother.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've ever heard that red meat makes you fat.

I've read about the "cancer risk" and clogging of ateries etc But never this..

Could this information perhaps have originated from a vegan or vegetarian site?
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    A very smart person told me that I was given all kinds of different teeth. Each a perfect tool for certain tasks. Some to crush nuts and berries, others to rip and shred meat. He went on to say I should use all my teeth every day. Therefore it is important for you to eat some red meat.

Seriously I believe if you look at beef vs venison the fat calories are different. Love all game for taste and the lower calories, enjoy.
  • Darton2010
    Darton2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I thought the red meat scare was because of the higher cholesterol diet? Something about people should eat a higher carb based.

Last time I looked I read that only 20% of the cholesterol we eat is absorbed into our body, much less than what was understood during the red meat scare.

I personally eat eggs in the morning and meat for dinner till I hear otherwise.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Rabbits eat their own poo, as do rats and mice.

Rodents are not a great model for the human alimentary tract.