How do you guys cope over the holiday season?

Options
1235»

Replies

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    Well guys, an update. If I was gonna *kitten* up Christmas Day was gonna be the day to do it and well I didn't. Christmas dinner in the UK is all about the biggest dinner of the year, turkey, roast potatoes, little sausages in bacon, stuffing, mashed potatoes, roast ham, gravy, cranberry sauce the list could go on.

Well I wasn't even interested, I have turkey 2-3 times per week anyway usually in the form of them turkey fillets, potatoes I don't eat anymore really and the same with pork, so in the end Christmas dinner consisted of a slice of turkey and some veg and because i eat this regularly I never even finished it as was bored. Total calories 200-300, I've protein bars with more calories.

The rest is plain sailing, the house is coming down with chocolate and treats but because I've said no for so long I've no longer an interest.

No offense but that just doesn't sound enjoyable. Being so restrictive and saying no to foods I enjoy for so long that they don't interest me anymore would make me sad. It's important, in my opinion, to not live in extremes. Making food the focal point of celebrations and indulging in such a way that it sets off binges or has lasting impact in the form of not being able to moderate is not good either. But being at a celebration with loved ones and finding zero pleasure in the foods doesn't sound like a healthy mindset either.

You'd think that but it gets to stage where the pleasure is in saying no. I learned this with drinking, I used to be a big weekend binger, the hangovers got to much so I stopped and actually enjoyed waking up hangover free, the pleasure came in saying no.

Similar happened yesterday, I sat and watched my family eat so much they sat down and fell asleep straight after, when they woke they sat complaining the rest of the day about how full they were and I thought to myself why?? That's pure gluttony.

Today we had a rerun of Christmas dinner at my parents, I did similar today however today I had a slice of cheesecake as it looked so good. Still under my calorie goal today with 2 workouts done.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 pounds. To "mess that all up," I would have to eat 70,000 calories over maintenance during the couple of weeks of Christmas indulgence. I'm pretty sure that's not even possible. So I don't worry about it too much. I moved my calories up to maintenance for a couple of weeks. Moving back tomorrow. Exercised a bit of discipline around portions. Didn't worry too much about a couple of days of "blowing it." It's the long game that counts.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Before I eat a treat someone is offering me, I ask myself if it will be worth it: when I'm finished, will I say to myself, "Yeah, that was worth the calories" or "I wish I'd saved the calories for something better". Cheap *kitten* Christmas cookies and store bought treats that are nowhere near as tasty as things I could prepare myself (I'm a pretty good cook) aren't worth it to me. As a consequence, it's not hard for me to say no.

Another rule is: I'll take a small portion of something and enjoy it, telling myself: if I want more when I'm finished, I can get more. A good percentage of the time I'll find that the original portion was enough for me, and I don't need to go for a second portion to feel satisfied. And if I do go back for more, it's a conscious decision and I don't feel guilty for doing so. But I only go back for more of things that are really, really good.

There was a Hallowe'en potluck at work -- I made a pan of very good gingerbread with lemon icing. I had one medium sized piece, enjoyed it, and passed on everything else because I knew my gingerbread was better than the other offerings on the table (almost all of it store bought). I decided before hand that whatever was left over, would be left in the kitchen for others; I would NOT take anything home.

Re the first bolded, that is exactly how I managed the buffet last night. And one trip was enough.

Re the second bolded, I think I speak for more than just myself when I ask you to post the recipe.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Staying in maintenance for the most part, over doing my usual eating on days of parties, family gatherings, since the week before Thanksgiving ( my daughter only could come home pre thanksgiving week, so we had Pre- Thanksgiving for her), then the real thing with all the yummy leftovers, then my son came home, so we cook a little more and i wish i can say no a little more often. Lots of good food that i love, all those special desserts. Christmas is the same, but I'm still hanging in there. Some days are better than others, or should i say nights, because that when the sweet tooth hits the hardest. My best way to deal with nightly snacking is to brush my teeth. After that, I'm good. Problem is, i don't always want to be good and continue to make excuses to have another bite. Wish i can solve this somehow.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed a few days of indulgence, but discipline will see me back to my regime in the New Year. We are only human and quite frankly its abnormal to think we can eliminate foods altogether that we enjoy especially during the festive season.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    Well guys, an update. If I was gonna *kitten* up Christmas Day was gonna be the day to do it and well I didn't. Christmas dinner in the UK is all about the biggest dinner of the year, turkey, roast potatoes, little sausages in bacon, stuffing, mashed potatoes, roast ham, gravy, cranberry sauce the list could go on.

Well I wasn't even interested, I have turkey 2-3 times per week anyway usually in the form of them turkey fillets, potatoes I don't eat anymore really and the same with pork, so in the end Christmas dinner consisted of a slice of turkey and some veg and because i eat this regularly I never even finished it as was bored. Total calories 200-300, I've protein bars with more calories.

The rest is plain sailing, the house is coming down with chocolate and treats but because I've said no for so long I've no longer an interest.

This seems...food phobic....
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Over big food holidays and vacations I usually eat everything in sight for a couple of days, then give myself a good talking to and go right back on Plan. I might not losee that week but usually don't gain. I chalk that up to living in the real world, and I don't let it knock me off plan for more than a day or two. Thinking long term is the key.
  • aneedforchange
    aneedforchange Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I ate whatever I wanted and then came back here afterward. Lol
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    I ate what I wanted and moved on with life.