help make menu for low carb diet

Options
I have high cholesterol and am borderline prediabetic. Doc told me to go on a low carb diet. Can you help me make a menu? What foods are good and what to avoid?
TIA

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can they refer you to a dietician?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    If you google low carb recipes and low carb diet plans you will find a lot of resources out on the web.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Here is a comprehensive collection of recipes that may help you:
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

She also has some menus, here is an example (click on the green dot to go to the recipe):
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/aug2004.html
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Following I'm exactly the same as is the hubby
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com has lots of low carb recipes.
    Low carb would be getting about 45% or less of your calories from carbs. You can change your MFP goals to that amount of carbs. On the web site go to goals to edit that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    852sk wrote: »
    I have high cholesterol and am borderline prediabetic. Doc told me to go on a low carb diet. Can you help me make a menu? What foods are good and what to avoid?
    TIA

Talking to a dietitian might help if you feel like you have no idea how to get started. There's a helpful (or so I hear, they have a closed group so us others can't see it) low carb group here you might want to google for, or someone will provide a link, I'm sure.

If you aren't familiar with what foods are high in carbs, it would be useful to learn that, as well as what foods are high in protein and fat. Are their any other restrictions? For example, you might want to stress whole plant sources of fat and fiber for the cholesterol. But weight loss often takes care of both of your issues.

Knowing HOW low your carbs are to be would be helpful, as well as understanding how you eat now. For the latter, use MFP and log a typical week (you can log past days). It won't be that accurate, but will give you a sense of total carbs, total protein and fat, and where it may be easy to cut calories.

Then start lowering carbs (I usually think of low carb as under 100 g or 35% or less, with total grams likely easier than worrying about percentage). Some do even lower, but unless your doctor said so, no need to bother until you see how this works for you. Also some offset fiber.

If weight-loss is the goal and the doctor didn't say otherwise, it also makes sense to keep protein up -- something like .8 g/lb of a healthy goal weight. For example, my goal weight was 120, so I aim for around 100 g (96 rounded up). Then you'd do 100 or less of carbs (or whatever number your doctor suggested) and fill in the rest with fat. Basically, don't be afraid of fat or higher fiber/low cal sources of carbs (like vegetables). A very low carb meal is an omelet with vegetables and maybe some cheese or meat plus veg plus some fat (cook the veg in it, have avocado or cheese, eat a less lean cut of meat). At 100 g you could have normal starch sides too and some fruit, just watch portion size and maybe don't have it with every meal.

When you look at your meals a good thing to do is cut back on/out some sources of carbs and increase portions of other foods. Obviously foods high in sugar and starch are higher carb (although if you are eating lots of junk food they are also high in fat -- nevertheless, a good way to cut back on carbs and fill in with some sources of fat that don't come with so many carbs per portion, like nuts or full fat dairy).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I refer people who are recently diagnosed to this site:

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/

You will quickly recognize the meals. They are you are eating now, only you will now have to watch your portions.

My old dinner used to have three or four carbs along with my protein choice. Now I choose one.

Taking the traditional turkey dinner, the turkey is the protein, the pat of butter is your fat, and the veggies, potatoes, bun and stuffing are all carbs.

Fill up half your plate with veggies. Fill up a quarter of the plate with the turkey. A little oil and vinegar on your salad, and you are done. A low carb turkey dinner.

Breakfast might be an egg for the protein and fat, and half an English muffin will be your carb. Put a pat of laughing cow cheese on that muffin.

I save a lot of time and money by planning on eating leftovers from the night before for my lunch the next day. Add a fruit. That leaves just breakfast and dinner to plan. If you like routine you may pick one or two breakfasts you like and rotate them.

If you are short on ideas try this app:

https://www.eatthismuch.com

It asks your calorie allotment for the day and your eating style. The Mediterranean diet is close to what a diabetic is looking for.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You've gotten some really good advice so far. I can share what a typical day looks like for me (I've been eating LCHF for three years), since you specifically asked for a menu:

Breakfast- coffee with half and half, no sugar (you could use artificial sweetener if you like); 2-3 eggs cooked in a tbsp of butter (sometimes scrambled, sometimes over easy. If I don't feel like eggs sometimes I'll have cottage cheese (full fat) with grape tomatoes. A lot of the time I'm not hungry in the morning, so I just have the coffee.

Lunch- a salad with some leftover chicken/pork/steak or a hard boiled egg, a few grape tomatoes and cucumber slices, and either half an avocado or some sunflower kernels, with a bit of shredded cheddar and an olive oil and vinegar dressing. A cheeseburger without the bun, a side salad, and an unsweetened iced tea is a great option when eating lunch away from home. Sometimes I'll make tuna salad (just canned tuna, onion, pepper, and real mayo), no bread or crackers, just eat it from the bowl.

Dinner- some kind of protein and plenty of veggies (mainly fibrous veggies- green beans, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, leafy greens, etc) dressed with butter or olive oil.

Snacks/desserts - almonds, cashews, or any type of nuts you like; real cheese; full fat plain yogurt (regular or Greek) with berries (fresh if in season, otherwise frozen); good dark chocolate (at least 70%, I prefer 85%)

There are lots of low carb substitutes or low carb versions of traditionally high carb foods, but I choose to keep it simple the majority of the time. Basically to be low carb, avoid grain products, starchy veggies, and high sugar foods (limit fruit). Eat meat, fibrous vegetables, whole dairy products (if you tolerate dairy), seeds and nuts, and eggs as the staples of your diet. Whenever you have a choice, opt for the full fat version of a food. Good luck!
  • hope4dcb
    hope4dcb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Following, just found out on verge of high cholesterol.. definitely want to take care of without meds.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How does this "foodie atkins" plan look? https://files.atkins.com/Atkins-20-Foodie-Meal-Plan.pdf
    (minus the atkins bars)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I eat very low carb. My meal looks similar to most peoples' but I leave out the sugar and starch.

When I went low carb, I dropped carbs in this order:
    • sugars (sweets, candies, soda, and foods with sugar added to them. Bacon does not need sugar added to it so I bought suga free)
    • hghly refrined grains like flours, starches, quick oats - included all baked goods except for a bit of coconut or almond flour.... I dropped most baked goods because of the added sugar anyways.
    • Grains like corn, rice, oats, bulgar, etc
    • starchy root vegetables are very limited - potatoes, yams, turnips, carrots, onions, etc
    • fruit was very limited especially high GI tropical fruit like banana or mangos, dried fruits are skipped, temperate fruits in moderation like apples or peaches, and berries sometimes

I eat lots of meats, veggies (especially green and leafy), seafood, eggs, full fat dairy (cheese, heavy cream, 14% sour cream 10+% plain yogurt), coconut (oil, cream and pieces), nuts, avocado, and olives. That's a lot. Just leave out the sugars and starches and add some extra fats onto your plate in the form of meats, sauces (like full fat salad dressing), eggs, or a veggie covered in cheese.