Feedback on my bulk?? [pics]

Options

Replies

• dillmilk
    dillmilk Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    px2qzsu0z9iz.png

The only way to know if the routine is "lacking" is to determine your ORM one rep max is, then use 60-80 percent of that. Retesting based on how easy it gets, and at least once a month, then increase sets, rep ranges or total weight.
    No one is going to tell you the exact set/rep range/weight to use without knowing a lot more information.

Exactly. So where are people getting their conclusions that my routine is "lacking" and needs more "volume"? If it needs adjustments then what does it need? More sets? More reps? More exercises? More days a week? Why? I use the appropriate amount of weight necessary to reach failure by the end of the designated sets and increase the weight semi-weekly.

• se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    px2qzsu0z9iz.png

The only way to know if the routine is "lacking" is to determine your ORM one rep max is, then use 60-80 percent of that. Retesting based on how easy it gets, and at least once a month, then increase sets, rep ranges or total weight.
    No one is going to tell you the exact set/rep range/weight to use without knowing a lot more information.

Exactly. So where are people getting their conclusions that my routine is "lacking" and needs more "volume"? If it needs adjustments then what does it need? More sets? More reps? More exercises? More days a week? Why? I use the appropriate amount of weight necessary to reach failure by the end of the designated sets and increase the weight semi-weekly.

Volume just means more reps basically and whether those additional reps come from more sets or more exercises, either it way it all adds up. I personally found that combining high volume which to me is less weight with more reps combined with a strength type of lifting (lower reps, but heavier load/weight). Either way you're always going to or close to failure in each set except your warm up sets. I've personally found that this helps me gain both strength and size as opposed to just one out of the two. Obviously at some point no matter how you lift as long as you put 100% intensity and go fairly often and keep progressing in your reps and load, you'll increase size and strength, but I found that training both ways helps maximize those results. Also creatine and a good pre work out helps too lol. Don't forget working out is only a little bit of the whole picture, water intake, diet, and sleep are MAJOR!!! Sleep is especially overlooked, it helps a lot when you get more sleep!
  • dillmilk
    Options
    Should I go heavy with more sets and less reps for the compound exercises and stick to lighter weights and more reps for the accessories?
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    The exercises look good, but one set is probably not going to do it unless you know exactly what your max is. To get more volume in my workouts I do 4 sets + a burnout with full rest in between...so 10 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 15 reps + Burnout. The 10 Rep set is the warm up/weight test, 8rep and 6rep are higher weight/max, 15 rep is lower weight and burnout might be half of what I was lifting or even body weight exercise - just to totally burn out the muscle. Not sure if that would work for you, but it's a way to get higher volume with your current exercises
  • se015
    Options
    Should I go heavy with more sets and less reps for the compound exercises and stick to lighter weights and more reps for the accessories?

You can do that, that's not a bad idea. A rep range of 3-8 is very widely used. With compound exercises it is always better to go heavier since you can move more weight as these are multi joint multi muscle movements. For example I'm not going to do a 3-4 rep set of lateral deltoid raises, won't even get the weight up with that rep scheme, right? So for an isolation exercise I'm going to pump it out and do 10-12 reps x 4 sets until my lateral deltoid feels like it's going to fall off lol, but for exercises like deadlifts, bench, and military press you can do a solid heavy weight (without comprising form of course) for a decent amount of reps. But you have to feel it out and see where you're at. If you're a beginner I would only do compound exercises for now, no need to isolate in the early stages of lifting and growing you need to build that structure and the compound exercises will do that, they cover majority of key muscles. Make sure you do Squats or Leg press (some will argue, but I like Leg press), Dead lifts, Military Shoulder Press or Barbell Shoulder press, Bench press, and Rows. I would also include weighted Dips, weighted Pull ups, and Lat pull downs.
  • dillmilk
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    The exercises look good, but one set is probably not going to do it unless you know exactly what your max is. To get more volume in my workouts I do 4 sets + a burnout with full rest in between...so 10 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 15 reps + Burnout. The 10 Rep set is the warm up/weight test, 8rep and 6rep are higher weight/max, 15 rep is lower weight and burnout might be half of what I was lifting or even body weight exercise - just to totally burn out the muscle. Not sure if that would work for you, but it's a way to get higher volume with your current exercises

I mentioned in one of my posts that that I do 3 sets for all my exercises, even the ones that say 1 set. I guess a lot of people didn't read that post.

Seth1825 wrote: »

You can do that, that's not a bad idea. A rep range of 3-8 is very widely used. With compound exercises it is always better to go heavier since you can move more weight as these are multi joint multi muscle movements. For example I'm not going to do a 3-4 rep set of lateral deltoid raises, won't even get the weight up with that rep scheme, right? So for an isolation exercise I'm going to pump it out and do 10-12 reps x 4 sets until my lateral deltoid feels like it's going to fall off lol, but for exercises like deadlifts, bench, and military press you can do a solid heavy weight (without comprising form of course) for a decent amount of reps. But you have to feel it out and see where you're at. If you're a beginner I would only do compound exercises for now, no need to isolate in the early stages of lifting and growing you need to build that structure and the compound exercises will do that, they cover majority of key muscles. Make sure you do Squats or Leg press (some will argue, but I like Leg press), Dead lifts, Military Shoulder Press or Barbell Shoulder press, Bench press, and Rows. I would also include weighted Dips, weighted Pull ups, and Lat pull downs.

Thanks man! Your replies have been super helpful and informative. I will go heavier on the compounds and try to squeeze more sets out of my exercises. I prefer leg press as well.
  • se015
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »

I mentioned in one of my posts that that I do 3 sets for all my exercises, even the ones that say 1 set. I guess a lot of people didn't read that post.

Seth1825 wrote: »

Thanks man! Your replies have been super helpful and informative. I will go heavier on the compounds and try to squeeze more sets out of my exercises. I prefer leg press as well.

No problem glad I can help! And yes you bring up a good point about the squeeze, that mind muscle connection is really important when it comes to form, I've noticed as I became more in tune with the way I lifted weights, it actually yielded better results in muscular development, I thought it was all bunch of crap but in actuality it does make a difference. Good luck and let me know how it goes! It all takes time so you have to be patient, but over time with consistency and hard work you'll absolutely see results!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You do have some muscle so I would highly recommend cutting down till you're lean (around 10%). At this point you can truly assess how your body looks and what you need to improve on.

Don't forget: everyone has less muscle and is fatter than they predict!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - at what body fat percent were you when you started your bulk? I think you need to cut down to sub 15% body fat and then re-assess from that point.
  • dillmilk
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - at what body fat percent were you when you started your bulk? I think you need to cut down to sub 15% body fat and then re-assess from that point.

I'm not sure but it must've been very low because I was extremely skinny - practically a skeleton. I hardly ever ate.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I'm not sure but it must've been very low because I was extremely skinny - practically a skeleton. I hardly ever ate.

OK - was just curious..

Like I said, I would suggest cutting down to 10-14% body fat and then re-assess. I would also look into a four day upper/lower split routine.
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You're blessed to have such good advise from all of us. Keep motivated and at the end do what is right for you out of all the counsel you're receiving. You can do it !!
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie bulking for the past 6 months and my routine is way more intense than your program. Here's what mine looks like, but I am female (training like a man tho). I do each routine twice a week.

Day A: Legs

Band work to warm up: monster walks, side lying clams, hip abduction

Barbell Hip Thrust - 205 lbs 1 set of 9, 1set of 7, 1 set of 7 Drop weight to 135: 1 set of 19, 1 set of 17, 1 set of 15

Reverse Extension: Holding 25 lbs - 30 and 10 second ISO hold on last one

Cable Pull Throughs: 135 lbs 3 sets of 10

Cable goblet squats: holding 80 lbs 3 sets of 12

Cable curtsey squats: 50 lbs 3 sets of 15

Cable kick backs straight leg: 30 lbs 3 sets of 20

Cable kick backs bent leg: 30 lbs 3 sets of 20

(I also alternate romanian dl's and morning glories)

and other stuff to really burn out the glutes before I stop....my focus is the glutes in my bulk.

Day B: Upper Body

Barbell Bench Press (olympic barbell): 60 lbs 1 set of 5, 1 set of 5, 50 lbs 1 set of 7

Chest flies: 70 lbs 3 sets of 10

Overhead Shoulder Press: 50 lbs 3 sets of 10

Low Row: 70 lbs, 2 sets of 10

Single Arm Dumbbell Row: 35 lbs 3 sets of 10

Bent Over Deadlift: 90 lbs 3 sets of 10

Bench Dumbbell Pull Over: 35 lbs 3 sets of 10

Cable Upper Back Row: 70 lbs 3 sets of 10

Assisted Pull Ups: Using 110 lbs under my knees 3 sets of 8

• Kidphysique
    Kidphysique Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Figure out what works for you.. I can give you a list of workouts and exercises but you need to figure out what works for your body. Heavyweight or lightweight? Rep range of of 6-8 or 12-15? Every one is different. Start with that and figure it out from there.

"I have my way and you have your way. As for the right way the correct way, it does not exist."

Kia Greene
  • andrelittle2323
    andrelittle2323 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You've got a good frame to work with. If you're just going for more mass I recommend compound workouts with around 3,000 calories a day. Eat steak, chicken, broccoli, sweet potatoes and bread. Do squats, deadlifts and your flat Bench press. Those 3 workouts target nearly every muscle.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You've got a good frame to work with. If you're just going for more mass I recommend compound workouts with around 3,000 calories a day. Eat steak, chicken, broccoli, sweet potatoes and bread. Do squats, deadlifts and your flat Bench press. Those 3 workouts target nearly every muscle.

don't forget the hip thrust haha. seriously, every man woman and child should hip thrust.
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hip hip hooray :D
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    How's your strength? Did you get stronger with your bulk? If you're getting stronger every week, then I wouldn't cut just yet.

How long did you bulk for? You gained 35lbs but it's hard to tell if you gained significant muscle without knowing how strong you got. What were your starting and ending lifts?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Add pull-ups and overhead press to that list, and I'd agree 100%. ;)
  • chemtrailz
    chemtrailz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    lift some dumbbells